UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tile onto tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
you always miss the interesting threads Dom... and notice how your post was number 69 :lol:

I noticed you notice! You little devil you. I knew owned red boots because you're kinky!

Edit: oops, sorry, didn't know Dom already mentioned it and that we'd already ended the discussion. :oops:

B

bootsmckiber

I still agree with Brian because I also have done it with no catastrophic results,I do this not at my own doing but usually to help the clients who can't afford to start from fresh,lets face it i,it is expensive.Now this doesn't happen all the time,in 27yrs I may have done it six times,always to help the client who just can't afford it,and yes it's nice to be so rich that you can walk into a place and if you don't like it say no I'm not doing it,but times were different twenty years ago,a job was a job you play the hand your dealt to the best of your capabilities,when you have 5,6,7or 8 mouths to feed you sometimes take what you can get,Everytime I did a tile on tile my clients were more than happy with my work and the money I saved them,like I said,twenty years ago the rules and codes weren't quite as strict,And another point,I've read a lot of tiling books over the years and most of them say it might not be the best way but it can be done,to many greenhorns on the goody two shoes wagon,chin up Brian,don't quit,go with what works for you.

S

Scott

DSC01973 (1200x900).jpg Like this you mean? Gotta love a bit of tile on tile.

This little beauty was onto paramount plasterboard too and left by another bathroom fitter. He was going to takethe top layer off and tile over the base tiles with 600x300 ceramics. Amateur!

Luckily i had a customer who listened to the adivce she was given and with the TF as a back up to clarify anything i told her the whole room had now been finished to the correct standard.

D

diamondtiling

It amazes me that some tilers still think its ok to tile onto existing tiles "so long as they are stuck well and dont sound hollow when tapped"

Have these guys got xray vision or something, or do they just rely on their knuckles to test the integrity of someone elses's past work?

If these people have public liability insurance then they should save themselves some money and cancel it because if something did fail and they were sued then they would not have a leg to stand on.

D

doug boardley

whats the point doug!
no matter how many times you tell some people or give them advice they will go ahead anyway!
what do you know mate you've only been tiling for god knows how many years and your experience is always going to be questioned by someone who "knows" better
:thumbsup: I don't mind saying over and over again David, if someone takes it on board and it saves a tile dropping on a kids head, then I'll keep saying it:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

nope dont have xray vision

Jay are you saying that because there are products out there that specify they can be used to tile on tile that its ok?

We all know that these products are there but the variables for failure are too great on any tile on tile installation especially walls, its a no brainer as far as I am concerned.

Just as an update, I have just phoned a major high street store and asked about tiling on tiles, the guy asked me, "are the tiles shiny or matt?"

"shiny" I said
"great, just rub them down with a wire brush and you will be fine"
"my old tiles sound a bit hollow, they have been on since the 1970's" says I
"no problem" says he, "use our special bonding agent and you will be fine"
"whats that?" I asked, "just expensive PVA?"
"No, dont use pva" he says although he couldn't give me a definitive reason why not.

So there you have it, one of the biggest high street shops advocate tile on tile with their special adhesive and it was not Tile Giant.

:ban:

J

jay

Jay are you saying that because there are products out there that specify they can be used to tile on tile that its ok?

We all know that these products are there but the variables for failure are too great on any tile on tile installation especially walls, its a no brainer as far as I am concerned.

Just as an update, I have just phoned a major high street store and asked about tiling on tiles, the guy asked me, "are the tiles shiny or matt?"

"shiny" I said
"great, just rub them down with a wire brush and you will be fine"
"my old tiles sound a bit hollow, they have been on since the 1970's" says I
"no problem" says he, "use our special bonding agent and you will be fine"
"whats that?" I asked, "just expensive PVA?"
"No, dont use pva" he says although he couldn't give me a definitive reason why not.

So there you have it, one of the biggest high street shops advocate tile on tile with their special adhesive and it was not Tile Giant.

:ban:

so why the comment then

stand up or shut up

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tile onto tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.