UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tile onto tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

faithhealer

Just read through the full thread and after reading the first few posts though "there mad you CAN tile on tile its a no brainer " wellllll I will never let a customer leave my work thinking tiling on tile is a expectable practice ever again, I am well aware of weight issues etc but have always been of the opinion that a flexible cemented based adhesive with a smaller tile would never be a problem.......scary how wrong i was! again thanks this really has opened my eyes! I would also like to say a lot of the 6 week course tilers seem to get a lot of stick from time served tilers, but in my experience they are a lot more clued up on the technical side that the older generation who seem to think that because they learned to tile in the 70s they are somehow some sort of messiah on tiling and do not need advice, I think the key to everything in life, be it tiling or rocket science is to keep a open mind and be ready to take on other opinions, a brilliant quote is "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.” anyway this is my first proper post so hello everyone :d
Stick with the forum Dode89 and you'll learn something everyday, most of us on here still do

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Well, what a very interesting thread we have here. :)

I don't think I can add anything that hasn't been said already other than, Phil, you started out when I was a mere twinkle in my mums eye. :)

And Brian, please do have a good read of the forum before giving up. I think you could learn quite a bit. I'd have thought Wales was cut off from the rest of the world if we didn't already have so many good Welsh tilers on here which just proves you must be an odd one.

Hopefully all those jobs you've done tiling on tile will not cause any serious injuries to those using the bath/shower etc should the tiles fall off with some weight behind them and lots of sharp edges, which is the reason there are standards and weight limits for every substrate.

As for the pensioner who wants their new tiles on top of the old ones, maybe a re-grout job would suffice if they're stuck on well enough?

M

mikethetile

I was in wales about a month ago Dan

what struck me as we wandered about the various towns was the amount of work that was going on and all to a good standard, I got chatting to several decorators doing outsides who told me they were booked solid into next year and if I could match their standard they had work for me, i can match their standard so its tempting

property prices are the same as where we are now so it wouldnt be so easy to move

no doubt wales has it rough areas like the rest of the uk but anyone who thinks wales is high unemployment and cheap holiday homes is well out of date. wales is doing very nicely and its a pleasure to meet so many skilled tradesmen

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Brian,

As said in the email mate. Thanks for apologising. It takes a real man to man up like that.

And I have to say thanks to all the members that simply kept correcting the advice and not a single person 'fed the troll' so to speak. :)

As a result, the thread is left online and people in the future will get sound advice. When a thread's tarnished with arguments it simply has to get cleaned up and it ends up with no posts in it.

I bet clueless2 doesn't know what to say now though. :lol:

Hope they got the message though. :D

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
if old tiles are well put up and there are no uneven old tiles just grind the surface of old tiles so that the adhesive ardex d20 GOOD LUCK

Read the rest of the thread mate.

Even a few years ago I was advising the old tap test, and if they seemed solid, go for it with a good cement-based adhesive. Problem is these days, it's not 6x6 over 6x6 ceramics. It's porcelain and stone that even on plaster alone is often questionable!

P

Peter

Was doing a kitchen floor last week and was in the area again today. Customer asked if I'd call round and see his porch and tile it with the few spare boxes he had. Popped round for a look and it had already been tiled. He asked if I could tile over tile and I told him I'd lift one tile first to see. Beat up one tile and it came up with no adhesive on it, then proceeded to pop the rest up with a screwdriver. Sometimes a floor can seem OK on the surface, but when you give it a poke it'll fall to pieces.

G

Gazzer

Read the rest of the thread mate.

Even a few years ago I was advising the old tap test, and if they seemed solid, go for it with a good cement-based adhesive. Problem is these days, it's not 6x6 over 6x6 ceramics. It's porcelain and stone that even on plaster alone is often questionable!

And you may not know how many layers of tiles ther may already be on the wall.

Reply to Tile onto tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.