Discuss Tile orientation - 600 x 400 - which way to lay them ? (kitchen and bathroom) in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

E

edwardk

Hi - I have a kitchen and a bathroom to tile.

I ended up with 600 x 400 tiles for the floors.

Is there a rule for orientation ?

In the kitchen I'll be coming in to it with units on the left hand side and a table/chairs on the right. There are french doors at the end but probably only open in summer.
tiling-orient-kitchen.jpg

Here is a rough plan of the bathroom. From the door, shower on the left, bath straight ahead.
tiling-orient-bathroom.jpg
Just trying to work out which orientation will look good.
From standing in the door do you run the length of the tile away from you or across you?

Thanks
Ed

E

edwardk

I dunno... In the bathroom I like the look of the tile length running across you as you stand in the doorway.
Originally I wanted square ones for the bathroom ! Would have been easier... (but not in stock).

In the kitchen... hmmm, tricky. I use the side door on the left of the plan as the main exterior door into the house so was wondering if rectangular tiles look good running lengthwise from the doorway or across. That will probably dictate the kitchen orientation. (Unless I put a threshold in and have different orientations for the corridor and kitchen - hoping not to do that though as I think it will look weird).

I think in the corridor if they run length-ways from the door then it might make it feel narrower. But otherwise if they are across-ways then maybe I'll have some funny cuts (think it is about 1000mm wide - but tapers towards the stairs - old house and my poor blockwork :) )

So, after some opinions really. Hard for me to visualise and I've never done this before - am guessing that plenty of you have had to think about this on an occasion or to !

Thanks
Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

Nice ! THanks - will try herring bone - like the look of that but will see what it actually looks like - will it work in the corridor too ?

How do you work out where to start ?
So that you don't get funny slithers at the side / end?

What's the best way of working out a layout once you have the orientation/pattern?

Thanks
Ed

Start in your main room and make that look the best. then follow through and hope that it works but you always have to concede that there will be some small cuts somewhere. The main area is the most important IMO.

E

edwardk

orient_HER_kit02.jpg orient_HER_kit01.jpg

I think the herring bone is nice but with the grain/pattern of the stone it makes it a little crazy for me.

Thanks - I think you've shown me that there are plenty of options and I needed to see them for myself to make my mind up - good teaching :)

So I'll probably go with the normal course and oriented north/south. So length running from the side door so that the corridor as you come in they run away from you and as you go into the kitchen (turn right) they run across you.

Hopefully that's a good choice.

Man they chip easily... just moving them around I've taken off half a dozen very small chips - not enough to be bothered by but enough to realise that I should be treating them like glass...

G

Gazzer

Do you use the software for quotes Neale? Or is it quite a new thing?

Its all fairly new but it could be useful as this thread is showing. The client can get more idea of how different set outs will look and once the drawing is on the PC its quite easy to adjust things such as setting out points or orientation. You can actually load a photo of the tile being used for a better idea. Also it can count the tiles for you !

Reply to Tile orientation - 600 x 400 - which way to lay them ? (kitchen and bathroom) in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We've got as far as stripping out the bathroom in our new (to us) bungalow dug up floor, laid...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
Hey guys, I normally post over in diynot for general DIY but wrt tiling over timber I need some...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
B
Evening all, My first post here so please be gentle with me!;) I'm redoing the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
B
D
This is a converted garage sized room. Two kitchen surfaces, each 3000mm long. And a Belfast...
Replies
Views
Sean SML Tiling
S

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB