UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tilers Forums Hall of Shame.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
How much did pay him to do the job John....

He'd quoted 3k to rip out and refit bathroom not including any materials, customer to provide all bath, taps, toilet, tiles, etc. Turns out he introduced a tiler to the job who then couldn't do the job, due to various circumstances so the builder did it himself, as he was on a deadline to start another job. They still owe him £300 and will not pay him. I went to look at this job as I was working next door and the guy has seen my work now. Asked me to look at it. Told him it all needs to come out, but the guy must have a chance to rectify at his cost the mistakes that have been made.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
He has be given the chance to rectify, can't see much chance of that happening though....I feel slow when I read that.

Heard somethink similar today about speed and must admit get sick of hearing it...the quality is kak John and the customer has to pay again, it never ends.

Told him for that I would work on a day rate + materials and gave him the cost per day, and he seemed happy to pay that if I end up re-doing it for him. :drool5:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
took a pic on my phone of a shower rooom with horrendous prep today....laminate flooring siliconed into the wall to plug gaps etc asked me to fit mosaics also another wall with old tiles rendered over with a cement/lime type mix which was falling off in sheets pity my phone software aint on my computer it was a corker

If you have e-mail on your phone you can send the pics to your own mail address and then fire up mail on PC/laptop and it should be there, save the attachment to your hard drive and then upload on to here. :thumbsup:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
As said before why do people pay for shoddy work. 3k to rip out and refit not including mats in 2 days if i was charging that I'd be a millionaire i put aside two weeks for full bathroom normally take 7-8 days and still wouldn't be 3k

The 3k was for the labour on the whole bathroom, but when the tiler couldn't do the job the builder did it instead, and he tiled it in 2 days to finish the job. I think he did finish the job in the true sense of the word!!!!

Q

Qwerty

Went to a property today to quote for adding to a slate floor which was laid a few years ago as they have knocked down a wall to extend the kitchen.......check out what the previous "pro" did :yikes:

yes, that is Lino underneath!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 127

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Just read through this thread and seen some proper horrors. Saw something like this a couple of times;

View attachment 46600

What is the correct way to do this sort of cut? would you go to the trouble of getting the system drained, removing the rad valve and drilling the tile?

Sometime this is unavoidable. But, in the picture you have there perhaps some biege silicone for the cut marks instead of grout would of looked a bit better.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Just read through this thread and seen some proper horrors. Saw something like this a couple of times;

View attachment 46600

What is the correct way to do this sort of cut? would you go to the trouble of getting the system drained, removing the rad valve and drilling the tile?

Yes, if you want it doing correctly.

If that's not possible I normally drill a hole where the rad stalk comes out of the floor, and then from the wall side of the tile I would do 2 cuts on the wet cutter in a V shape towards the hole. Then I would fix the tile in place and then slide the V shape cut out towards the pipe which closes the gap left by the cut of the wet cutter. Possibly fill any little nicks with same colour silicon.

I

Ian

Sorting out a shower cubicle at the mo, it's been leaking. It's a catalogue of errors but my favourite part is the tray. The opening is 90x80cm and the tray that had been used was 70x70, the area around the edge had a little shelf on it, not a problem I hear you say, well here's what I found when I started taking it apart

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353613326.604254.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353613341.059425.jpg

Two courses of bricks, not stuck by the way just placed in around the edge, covered with about an inch of skim, then the tiled shelf on top! Some how this lasted 10 years before it leaked, mind you, there were several tiles siliconed to the wall, I'd guess that a dozen tubes of silicone had been used.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPad

Its becoming a regular monthly discovery. Builders, plasterers and plumbers who say they do the whole job but...well, you know the rest.

Today's gem is an 800 quad held in place by 1 screw only, no silicone in the base of the wall plates and about 2 tubes worth under the front bar. Oh, and a lovely surprise water feature in the dining room when they used it for the first time. They only moved in on saturday.

Reply to Tilers Forums Hall of Shame.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Tilers Forums .co.uk is being used as a menu system to the main tile forums...
Replies
Views
UK Tiling Forum Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum. Here at TilersForums.com we have hosted a place...
Replies
Views
DIY Tiling; Advice for DIY Tilers So long story short, I have just purchased my first house and...
Replies
Views
This is the TilersForums.co.uk Tiling Advice Forum Discussion Thread TilersForums.co.uk, the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.