Discuss Tiles bowing after fitment in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

square sticking

Hi,
I am tiling my bathroom with 300x600 rectified tiles but am finding that they are bowing once the adhesive has dried.
I have checked that the tiles are true on the front face of the tile both vertically and horizontally prior to fitting and all is flat, once fitted all is still ok, however once dry the centre section of the tile seems to get sucked in. Edge to edge is fine and no lippage can be felt and as I am not laying them in a brick pattern it isn't a big issue but would like to know if this is a recognised thing that can happen and if I can stop it from happening to the rest that I still have to fit.
I am using a bal adhesive and have the bowing happen when tiling on hardbacker and wendi board. I am using a Rubi 10mm square notch trowel and applying 1mm of adhesive to the back of the tile prior to fitment.
I guess once fitted the adhesive depth is 5 to 6mm.
The grouting hasn't been done yet and I have used 2mm Rubi tile spacers.
The tiles themselves are about 8mm thick and cost £700 for 10m2 at trade prices and seem to me to be decent quality.
The first photo is vertical and the second horizontal. The bowing isn't due to a curve in the steel rule,it is there whatever side of the ruler I use !

Thanks in advance Pete

image.jpeg image.jpeg

S

square sticking

I will be fitting some more tiles in the next few days so I will fit one and take a photo whist the adhesive is wet to show that it's flat against the rule and then take another after showing the bow (hopefully).
Due to the wall not being perfectly flat a couple of tiles have 3mm of adhesive when fitted on the back and these tiles have bowed to the same extent as the rest, but it does seem as if the drying action of the adhesive is pulling them in.

O

Old Mod

I would expect a reverse result tho!
What I mean is, the edges being pulled in.
Because your joints are more exposed to the air than the centre of the tile is, adhesive tends to dry quicker on the perimeter, usually causing lipping.
You have two substrates, one Hardie (moisture absorbent) and one Wedi (waterproof) so the substrate can't be blamed.
Your adhesive bed does sound deep tho, you say it's 5-6mm.
A 10mm trowel normally results in approx 3mm bed when compressed and solid bedded.
Are you using a levelling system?

S

square sticking

3-fall,
I am using Bal max-flex fibre wall and floor adhesive. The instructions on the reverse of the bag say to "comb to the required depth (normally 3-6mm)" that must be fitted depth rather than notch size on the trowel.
I do have a 8mm notch trowel so I could drop down to this on the other two walls and see how it goes. The maths say that a 8mm trowel at 45 degrees gives a bed of 5.65mm and the lash clips are 5mm when not tensioned so it's all a bit tight.
( sorry I went a bit geeky for a second !)
I think in practice the adhesive lifts up out of the back of the trowel and ends up deeper than the maths would say if that makes sense.

And yeah I think my prep has had enough thought put into it, you would shake you head in disbelief I think, surface to say the bathroom has been several years in the making....
I wish I wasn't me sometimes o_O

Cheers Pete

O

Old Mod

Engineer? Haha
I suffer the same fate!
The depth of the clips at the base are 5mm?
So you need a clearance of 5mm beneath the tile to fit them?
Just want to be clear.
If that's the case, I'd guess at more adhesive, not less.
When using a 10mm notched trowel and you rock the tile back and forth to break the ribs and completely bed the tile, with the compression of the adhesive this gives an average depth of 3mm.
So in effect, your light of adhesive through the centre, so when the adhesive dries, because you don't have a solid 5mm it's sucking the tile back into the wall.
Most quality levelling straps have a maximum depth of about 2mm at the base, allowing them to easily fit beneath the tile.
5mm is massive imo.
Well this is my best guess at the problem. haha
Never experienced it myself, to my knowledge anyway.
Another member may look later and tell me I'm talking cods wallop! Haha
But one thing is for sure, the more solid the base of adhesive, the less chance you have of it shrinking back and pulling the tile with it.
When the adhesive looses its moisture, crystals are formed, effectively mechanically fixing it to the tile.
It's a very strong bond.
So if you have voids beneath, it can pull the tile in to this void.
And if your tiles are effectively suspended around the outside then I'd imagine this is what is sucking the tile in.
But as I say, this all conjecture, because I'm not actually 100%
But it sounds feasible to me at least.
Oh and easiest way to distinguish porcelain from ceramic is to put your tongue on the back of it. :confused::eek:
If it sticks, it's ceramic, if not, porcelain. Haha

Last edited by a moderator:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Don't try and be clever, you know what I'm talking about.
Go on mark :)
If I'm honest, you do seem a bit ocd Pete , you have got to be a engineer ?
I'm all for a good job, but you are talking MMs (not the chocolate treat, the measurement ;))
Which in a man made product like a tile it is well wihin BS :fearscream:
Personally , owt 600mm or over is and can bend slightly , it even mentions it on some boxes , even lash clips won't help matters .
i doubt any tiler would stay on the job if you came in with your 12" ruler and pointed out a 1mm gap:tearsofjoy: , big lippege , yes it's the tilers fault , slight, and I mean slight bowing, it's usually product error :flushed:
I'm not having a go Pete, we are all entitled to our opinion mate ,but it does have a ring of a bit of OCD :yum:

T

Time's Ran Out

Can't be at £70m2 :fearscream:
I've just had 45m2 of 1500x750 delivered from Italy for half of that .
I did get them at cost mind , but even at full price the ain't much dearer :tearsofjoy:

Ah but these may be made in Greece and we all know how expensive Kefalonia is!
I'd need to see a receipt to believe a white biscuit ceramic was that price.
With you on the engineer and OCD.

Reply to Tiles bowing after fitment in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hello, after tiling the kitchen area I did grouting but I am not happy with the results. The...
Replies
Views
I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB