Discuss Tiling directly onto ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jwatson

Concrete is the best substrate to tile to as of british standards.
all professional tilers will advise using a backer board because it is the dogs dangly bits.
ply can be tiled onto and is still a good substrate aslong as it is treated propperly and fixed correctly.(but it does have weaknesses the backer board doesnt; water sensertive and can delaminate)
Prime boards backs and sides, fix with screws 300mm centres bare minimum(i do 200mm) leave 1-2mm movement joint between boards(silicone joints) make sure boards are staggered and joints dont fall on joints of tounge and grove board. prime the side of board to be tiled as of manufacturers specs(till you can see colour of acrylic primer)
good to tile when dried.

it is fit for a pourpose but the backer boards do not have the plys weaknesses.

good luck

D

Deleted member 9966

I am takign apart an old bathroom that has had thick sheets of ply screwed to joists and tiled....

JESUS these tiles are stuck on hard! takes me about an hour to remove one tile! I need to take tiles of to locate the screws so I can remove

backbreaking work!

suggests to me that ply is fine to tile on though....!?

it might actually be the adhesive that's the proverbial in this case Dave, rather than the ply it's taken to. ply isn't what it used to be too. the ply you're taking tiles up from could be more than 10 years old? current ply manufacturers are producing less quality products due to the tightness of the recession.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling directly onto ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 45m2 of 1.2 x 1.2 Mirage 9mm floor tiles to lay. Never done this size before. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiling directly onto ply
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.