Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Julia84

I posted yesterday about the poor job that has been made of our shower wall tiles. Since then I’ve become something of an expert on tiling (haha) and have another query regarding our floor tiles. The lippage seems excessive in areas. Photos of the worst area below. Is that acceptable?

Further more this week I’ve found a cracked floor tile that definitely wasn’t there before. No one remembers dropping anything on the floor but it kind of looks like a blunt force from above so I am willing to accept it must be something we’ve done. However, given the poor job elsewhere there’s a slight concern this is due to the way the tiles have been laid?

Bathroom all 7 months old. Will include a picture of when the tiles were being laid.

Thanks!

0836D436-531D-4757-A36C-73A91C6902BE.jpeg 5F027516-41E7-4A42-9E86-7EB7A68A0732.jpeg EE2184D7-4CDB-44A3-9348-19CCF1062C5F.jpeg F545AB7D-DA41-48CA-87F3-3AAD67BD0E99.jpeg

H

hmtiling

I'm afraid it's atrocious. Both in method and finish
I posted yesterday about the poor job that has been made of our shower wall tiles. Since then I’ve become something of an expert on tiling (haha) and have another query regarding our floor tiles. The lippage seems excessive in areas. Photos of the worst area below. Is that acceptable?

Further more this week I’ve found a cracked floor tile that definitely wasn’t there before. No one remembers dropping anything on the floor but it kind of looks like a blunt force from above so I am willing to accept it must be something we’ve done. However, given the poor job elsewhere there’s a slight concern this is due to the way the tiles have been laid?

Bathroom all 7 months old. Will include a picture of when the tiles were being laid.

Thanks!

View attachment 100304 View attachment 100305 View attachment 100306 View attachment 100307

H

hmtiling

Fi
Could you elaborate so I can question them when they come round tomorrow?
It's been spot fixed and fixed to ply. Should have been overboarded with cement board, levelled then tiled use a notched trowel.
Was it a general builder by chance?

J

Julia84

Fi

It's been spot fixed and fixed to ply. Should have been overboarded with cement board, levelled then tiled use a notched trowel.
By spot fixed do you mean dot and dab? As
Fi

Thankyou. I don’t think it’s been spot fixed, I remember them laying it and the whole floor was covered in stuff I think? That last picture is before they cut the tile for round the radiator pipes.

Could the fact it’s been fixed to ply have caused the crack?

Does that lippage look like it conforms to industry standards? Does any of it conform to industry standards?!

D

Dumbo

Surely the best way to get new houses tiled correctly using to correct preparation materials is for the likes of NHBC not to sign houses off If they have tiles on ply walls . Heavy tiles on skimmed walls etc . Surely the the tta should canvas them explaining risks associated with bad instalation .Or is it NHBC don't care because they don't pay out either

O

One Day

Tta should be much more proactive in many many areas I think. But there's always that little problem of funding and turning a profit

D

Dumbo

And you need to remember that most builders cannot read, so the cost of producing picture books that can explain best practise tiling techniques would be very high indeed!
They would soon learn to read if guarantee man wasn't signing it off and mortgage man then wouldn't release the money to client who needs it to make stage payment .

P

Perfect Tiling

I've had a few floors and walls to retile after a couple of years.....customer usually tries NHBC and the usual answer is the tiles are cosmetic and not structural so not covered

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen