Wall and Floor Tiling Standards BS 5385 Part 1 and 2 Bristish Standards, ISO Tile Fixing Standard.

Welcome to TilersForums.com, the place to discuss all tiling standards whether British Standards in Wall and Floor Tiling, BS5385, or ISO European Standards for Tile Fixing.

Tiling Standards

Wall and Floor Tiling Standards for the UK: British Standards in Tiling.

Discuss Important Changes to Tiling Standards in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com.

I have lots more pictures etc but these a small selection. I have some that show the peaks and troughs better than these

IMG_4202.JPG

IMG_4249.JPG

IMG_4182.JPG

Chelly

TF
Swansea
Hi all, it’s been a while but the dispute is still ongoing. They are now saying that they had to start with a full tile at the bath due to metro tile choice, is this correct? See their reply
We are of the belief that based on the tile selection being bevelled edged, that starting with a cut above the bath, would lead to a greater risk of water ingress as well as less aesthetically pleasing due to the silicone line not being consistent.

H

hmtiling

Hi all, it’s been a while but the dispute is still ongoing. They are now saying that they had to start with a full tile at the bath due to metro tile choice, is this correct? See their reply
We are of the belief that based on the tile selection being bevelled edged, that starting with a cut above the bath, would lead to a greater risk of water ingress as well as less aesthetically pleasing due to the silicone line not being consistent.
Nonsense

T

Time's Ran Out

Ask the client how to set the room out!
That’s why they are paying you - to do a professional job.
Clients away on holiday, that’s okay I’ll send him a photo of how it’s going to look - he’s going to be really confident in your ability.
What’s been done is sh*te and these chancers do our trade no favours.

Must have been on song that night - apologies!

Chelly

TF
Swansea
[automerge]1562962315[/automerge]
Thought so

Regarding the vertical corner joints, they say.

Wickes Way of Working stipulates that grout is to be applied to all vertical joints as well as joints between wall and floor tiles etc.

Do you also know what size these corner joints should be as some areas are as small as 1 - 2mm?

H

hmtiling

[automerge]1562962315[/automerge]
Thought so View attachment 108050

Regarding the vertical corner joints, they say.

Wickes Way of Working stipulates that grout is to be applied to all vertical joints as well as joints between wall and floor tiles etc.

Do you also know what size these corner joints should be as some areas are as small as 1 - 2mm?
They're wrong(lying) again. All transitions between walls and floors should be siliconed as per adhesive manufacturer instructions. Find out what adhesive and grout they used and you could get that in writing from them

No update as to what happened. so i'll throw in...Its almost definitely not British Standard. I work at the building site end of things, and Site managers love to show off their 'knowledge' of BS/NHBC standards. Cutting into the bath has NEVER been an issue. Having said that, they look like the 'metro' type tiles there, and cutting in wouldn't have looked good. That rip looks to be about 10mm at the widest, as Andystiletiling said, your tiler should have changed spacers to absorb it, it would be unnoticeable. Bit late now, but its my opinion dark grouts and white glazed tiles is never a good idea, it just highlights any imperfections, (and those small tiles are always a bit 'sizey') the bevel in the tiles would make it look just as good with white grout. :)

Chelly

TF
Swansea
Thanks all for your help and the information you have provided me. Received the 1st positive email yesterday from them saying “you have clearly done your research”, offering a refund for the tiling or for the work to be redone.

I notice that most of you hate installing metro tiles, why are they so bad? They responded.....”The specific tiles you have chosen are notoriously problematic and whilst we are happy to reinstall replacements if this is what you decide, we would suggest an alternative tile is chosen to ensure the finish is completed in line with the standards you have quoted and to enable us to complete your bathroom to meet both yours and our expectations”
But I like metro tiles?! Would you advise against also? Not sure I trust them to redo the work, so thinking of getting a quote from a TTA approved tiler (Swansea area), if you know anyone willing to take on my work?

Reply to Important Changes to Tiling Standards in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, this is my first post so thank you for reading my question. I am looking to...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I had an en-suite tiled in July 2017, we noticed a leak in the hallway in December...
Replies
Views
I keep this to hand now so I can show customers Tuesday, 24th July 2018 Important changes to...
Replies
Views
Unused Account 1
U
S
Hi All, I’ve just had 2 rooms tiled with oak effect ceramics and I feel a little disappointed...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB