UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss To turn on or not to turn on??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

slikt

I have just done my flooring and I have installed UFH, i've had loads of conflicting advice even from Mapei. . So. . . should I switch it on yet or wait another week?

Flooring is as follows. . .Primed floor with 2 coats SBR, Laid insulation boards on Mapei proflex (Grey), then UFH mat, used Mapei Renovation screed over the top, left a day and then used Mapei Proflex (white), used a 20mm round notched trowel, left a day and grouted. That was 17-18 days ago, can I fire it up, or wait at least 3 weeks, I only ask as I have had people tell me wait from 3 days to 28 days and everything inbetween. . so i'm slightly confused and have bloody cold feet :)

T

Time's Ran Out

When you turned it on what was the FLOOR temperature?
21.5 degrees is warm for a screed floor start up temperature.
Just turned on a UFH to a wet room and it was 16 degrees on wood.
Always increase by 1 degree per day, but IMO no need to go above 28 degrees.
Thermostats have a limit of approx 40 degrees but it would mean it would never switch itself off and even at 28 degrees the heat loss into the room usually maintains a continuous temperature.

S

slikt

Ok. . not a happy chappie as i've noticed hairline cracks in some of the grout lines !! I've done everything and more to stop this happening, even waited over 3 weeks till I switched the floor on and then had it running constant for two weeks turning it up 1 degree every 24 hours. . and yes I followed the mixing instructions of the Mapei grout to the letter. I know I can rake out the grout and re do but that in itself is gonna be hard. Not happy dot com! Why would this of happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

slikt

Did you overwet the grout when washing off? I haven't heard of mapei brought failing, just discolouration mainly due to inconsistency in the mixing. Have you left the heating on? Is the cracking getting worse?

tapatalk on my HTC

Nope, it was a damp sponge as I had to buff them up after with dry rags, its not all over probably only half a meter in total. I'm just wondering if any of the prep work has failed as thats gonna be a major issue and as said, I did everything to the letter, OCD in fact. The heating was on for over 2 weeks whilst 'running in' and after that it was put on a timer to come on in the morning and then again in the evening. Very confused and really dont want to have to rake out all the grout due to having a brand new kitchen, but if it has to be done then it has to be done?

S

slikt

Hopefully it is just the grout for some reason. How wet did you mix it? It should be stiff enough to stand in the bucket and not slump and level out

tapatalk on my HTC

Yeah it was stiff enough, as said I read a few posts about some people having issues with that grout so I made sure I used the whole bag to the recommended amount of water, didnt want to do guess work by splitting the bag. Oh well, recommend the best and cleanest way to remove that type of grout. .lol

Reply to To turn on or not to turn on??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
To turn on or not to turn on???
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.