Discuss Top Tiling Tips for 2016? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tile Shop

Not so much the tips i can offer, but certainly something i've learnt. Just moving away from rubi for me. Only used the rubi for the few jobs i've done and merchandising at work. Bought my first cutter, the monti 63p3. Love it. Ordered it when i bought some rls from ferramenta as cost was also a factor. But cuts feel so much better than the TR or the TX's.

2016 been a real eye opener. So much more to tiling than is first realised by many. But its enjoyable and a career i want pursue. So you lot keep the tips coming, and I'll keep taking them in :)

L

LM

Not so much one particular tip,but the amount I've upped my game since the book match job in Hampstead. The time taken to plan and set that out resulted in a beaut of a job and I guess that job for me was sort of inspiration. I've always had the mantra of "plan your work and work to your plan", but I've never had to tackle a job with that much planing and technical detail. So for me I suppose it's gave me more confidence, don't get me wrong I've been involved and been responsible for some very large contracts like full airport refits and countless shopping centres, completly new housing estates and schools etc, but that's all relatively straightforward work if you can use a protractor, compass and calculator lol, but having watched that job unfold bit by bit I now relish the chance to tackle something like that.
So my tip would be watch and learn, everyday is a school day!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Don't brag about finishing work this friday then take a 'little job' on for next week :(
On a plus side i will not be starting till the 2nd week in jan :)
My top tip is though , always ask what tiles they have bought when pricing , and if they say " oohhh these really nice bct 3d tiles" either double the price or walk away :(

I

Italy

I learned to say no, (I can not do the job, I only have 2 hands, searched for another tiler)
this year, are more jobs that I refused to do, that the works I've done !!!.
here in Italy, everyone says that there is little work .... (mystery) ....
it's probably my fault, I do not understand meaning of the word "work."
I find myself 50 years, with turnover rising. It should not slow ?, another mystery ...

A

Aston

Dont chase 2 rabbits because you"ll end up catching none.

Dont get me wrong, its good to have other skills and to go for opportunities BUT if i would of just focused solely on my tiling business over the past few years then i would have saved a lot of time and a hell of a lot of money...ive learned that lesson the hard way and Ive finally accepted that.
2017 is the year of the tiler!

Tip no 2 ... No regrets
No matter whats happened in your life theres always someone worse off so learn, dont beat yourself up too much and move on)

Happy christmas to the best forum on tinternet ;o)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I've removed the posts from Dejan, he works for the company he was pushing. I've contacted him with information regarding sponsorship. But otherwise, he wont be back.

Problem is with supplying tiles, you're paying VAT on them when you buy them, and if you're not VAT registered, you're not claiming that back. If you ARE VAT registered, your average homeowner isn't, so if you were £100 per day labour before, you're now £120, and over a week that's £600 not £500, so you're now more expensive as a tiler. To swallow that extra £100 over the week, you'd have needed to buy tiles at £600 to claim the £100 VAT back on them, and that might not always be the case. And you're now charging the customer VAT on the tiles too. And also all the work load you have sorting VAT out. Different liability insurance because you're now a supplier not just a labourer. etc etc etc

It just isn't worth supplying tiles unless you're selling shed loads IMO.

D

Dumbo

Dont chase 2 rabbits because you"ll end up catching none.

Dont get me wrong, its good to have other skills and to go for opportunities BUT if i would of just focused solely on my tiling business over the past few years then i would have saved a lot of time and a hell of a lot of money...ive learned that lesson the hard way and Ive finally accepted that.
2017 is the year of the tiler!

Tip no 2 ... No regrets
No matter whats happened in your life theres always someone worse off so learn, dont beat yourself up too much and move on)

Happy christmas to the best forum on tinternet ;o)
If I could I would of only Tile and that would include not doing prep. Not shortening doors , fitting thresholds ,cutting plinths removing toilets the list goes on . I would have far less tools in my van.. I would love to see the floor of my van.

Fraser Tiling

TF
Esteemed
High Wycombe
This year I've found myself pricing and working to day rate prices more than ever especially on bathrooms, nearly impossible to give a metreage rate to encompass "typical bathrooms" for regular builders so they can "make an allowance for tiling". UTH, tanking, niches, mosaic features, large format and small rooms with low metreage take just as long as larger rooms.
With large floors with large format tiles unless extremely flat, most if not all including decoupling, and 90 percent having smaller areas included, tiling to fixed metreage rates has become so much harder. Giving builders a price months in advance before knowing the quality of screed or type/size of tile is a minefield.
Most good builders understand this and can make allowances, but I find that Im finding less big jobs that I used to be able to quote on and make big money on, without pricing myself out.
Perhaps it's just me, might be going wrong somewhere along the line, but cant see it.

Reply to Top Tiling Tips for 2016? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB