Discuss travertine fitting and fixing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The D

BS 5385
The use of sheets and boards that are subject to movement from changes in moisture content, e.g. wood-based materials such as plywood, chipboard, wood particle boards, etc. should be avoided if at all possible. If such boards have to be used they should be restricted to small areas and tiles should not bridge joints between boards. It is good practice to seal all exposed edges and the backs, but not the faces, of such boards with a suitable sealer to prevent distortion by atmospheric humidity changes. Care should be taken to ensure such boards are not installed in a condition where their moisture content is higher than the ambient equilibrium moisture content once the tiled installation is in use. Failure to observe this can lead to subsequent warping and distortion of the boards with consequent cracking and delamination of the tiling.

it is not a requirement to over board but it is advisable to ether over board with something like hardy or you can use an uncoupling membrane as long as there is no bounce in the floor. if there is bounce in the floor this will need to be sorted first.

J

jasonj

If you want an excellent quality adhesive at a really good price then i would try http://www.tiletown.co.uk??????(hope it is ok to post that....the website has not relation to me its just a cheap adhesive supplier i have found) They are a Weber Supplier to which the product i transfered to about a year ago from Mapei purely for the cost and all of their products are compared to Mapei products regarding their performance and BS conformaties.

However you may want to take some others advice on this thread and get a Pro in to do it, it does not look as easy at it seems.

Good luck

Jase

Last edited by a moderator:
S

stuartavo

thanks jason .i cant use them as they are in derby.but i did watch the video at the bottom about laying onto a wooden floor.ive been screwing every 300mm it seems for hours.the wife was really pleased.to top it today the washing machine has bit the bullit and had to spend more dosh sorting it out.

ive also got around the brick style travertine i wanted on the floor 300x100 . afriend has a radial saw and ive booked in friday to cut me tiles up.shouldnt take a couple of hours.cant beat the 20 ametre from topps tiles it a bargain.they also said they would take back any damaged tiles and swap them or if i had a load over they would reimburse me.

Reply to travertine fitting and fixing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

T
I've almost completed my bathroom. The only thing left to install is a glass screen for the wet...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all, I've been looking all over the site and I think I have a plan... So, I've fitted the...
Replies
Views
monkey3
M
M
Our shower has been dripping for about six months, since we changed the boiler to a combi. This...
Replies
Views
Martino
M
J
I am new to this forum, and i would really appreciate some advice. We are re-fitting our...
Replies
Views
J
Hello. My first post. After having good search, these tiling forums are the best I have come...
Replies
Views
I

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
travertine fitting and fixing
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.