Discuss Undercutting madness!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

HI guys,
I got a customer ring up asking if I had opened for business, once the general chat was over she asked me to come give them a quote.

Brand new building, been up for 6months, Derbyshire stone built.

Room in question 40.6 M2, Porcelain 333x333. 2mm joints, straight bond.
Job was made clear its wanted done by yesterday!

Quote wanted excl materials. (just labour)

I handed them the estimate sheet, after trying to knock me down 56quid & 2 days shorter than my prediction, we came to a mutual agreement of 'im the Tiler & the one doing the job' and it will be done when its done.. quality over quantity etc etc.

Anyhow, Once they read the estimate and clarified what it entailed they shook my hand straight away and said when
can you start? "tonight?" :incazzato:

They said they had 3 other tiling companies quote which either
1. didn't want the job
2. expensive
3. i'm far to cheap (alot cheaper than the other 3 companies)

the other quotes where in excess of £400 more than my quote! ?

Last edited:
not sure I understand , were you under cut or are you doing the under cutting ? and £400 isnt much for 40m2 of porcelain labour only ,it would be more than double that in my area

Hi Gary, I have edited the post. sorry for the confusion

I'm still not getting what you are asking, you haven't put your price.

No prices allowed :smilewinkgrin:

I am just curious am I right to be coming in at £400 less than the next up quoter.. strikes me as a large difference on a simple straight job

I

Ian

No prices allowed :smilewinkgrin:

I am just curious am I right to be coming in at £400 less than the next up quoter.. strikes me as a large difference on a simple straight job

You're in the job pricing forum! It depends what your price is, without that I have no idea if you are too cheap or your competitors are too expensive.

I was typing before you put your price on, but I was gonna say Yes, the price is right, you priced it, they said yes, you got the job.
The other guys priced it - they didn't get the job. So they didn't price it right (for this job/customer)

so yours was the right price. For this job/customer.

556/40 = £13.90 pm2 (labour only) = too cheap, maybe

40m2 / 4 days = £139 per day = correct price, maybe

I was typing before you put your price on, but I was gonna say Yes, the price is right, you priced it, they said yes, you got the job.
The other guys priced it - they didn't get the job. So they didn't price it right (for this job/customer)

so yours was the right price. For this job/customer.

556/40 = £13.90 pm2 (labour only) = too cheap, maybe

40m2 / 4 days = £139 per day = correct price, maybe

Your about on my level with the last statement

And they had the neck to debate knocking £56 of price !!!

Id av done half the job for that price...Is ur hand still sore from the customer
shakin it ?

When u go to price a job just think of ur van insurance quote nxt time m8

Do you know my insurance quote Ian? Paid that in full 2 weeks ago!!

D

Dougs Third Go

And they had the neck to debate knocking £56 of price !!!

Id av done half the job for that price...Is ur hand still sore from the customer
shakin it ?

When u go to price a job just think of ur van insurance quote nxt time m8
..and accountants, bank charges, diesel, tools..etc etc etc, but I guess it's maybe better than sitting at home doing nowt. The danger with pricing low is that the low price can then become the norm and it's a downward spiral from there.

Reply to Undercutting madness!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, I really need some pro advice as I have just had a bathroom fitted and the tiling...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 53945
D
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am due to tile our Kitchen floor at the weekend, we went all out for the Black Star light...
Replies
Views
T14086
T
T
I've just bought 85m2 of these Limestone Tiles The sub-base consists of a wet UFH system...
Replies
Views
Spare Tool
S
R
I lost a large job on price, the client who I've been doing other work for has asked if I can...
2 3
Replies
Views
Concrete guy
C

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB