UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Vicky Geometric in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

trev

I never said you were a bad tiler just on the setting out there is room for improvement.

well i believe my setting out is fine, as i've said before, the customer wanted this design thickness of border/pattern and more importantly i think (where all this is steaming from) thickness of black infill. That was my instruction and i followed it.

Pj have you ever thought about going into teaching? I'm sure with all them years you have lots to share. Maybe sort that that 'i've been tiling 46 years!' bollxx and also try and be a bit more understanding of peoples skill levels and how motivate them intead of demorilizing 'em. On second thoughts find that pension book and go grow some spuds!:lol:

S

Spud

well i believe my setting out is fine, as i've said before, the customer wanted this design thickness of border/pattern and more importantly i think (where all this is steaming from) thickness of black infill. That was my instruction and i followed it.

Pj have you ever thought about going into teaching? I'm sure with all them years you have lots to share. Maybe sort that that 'i've been tiling 46 years!' bollxx and also try and be a bit more understanding of peoples skill levels and how motivate them intead of demorilizing 'em. On second thoughts find that pension book and go grow some spuds!:lol:
when i learnt how to tile i was told never to close through a pattern, i think this still stands today hence all the negative feedback .if you had put an extra pencil border around the field tiles this would have gained the module size you needed to eliminate the closing red diamonds, set this half bond and repeat it on the outside of the border and you will have a symmetrical job with out closing the detail of the border

P

pjtiler

trev !!! your a lucky lad theres skilled tradesmen of many year experience here giving good advice and not bulling you up
if your daft enough to ignore it ,good for you
one day it will cost you dear
as for personal insults to me! seen it all before
its true what they say (you have to pay to learn )
shame really
you made the classic mistake with the border its easy to rectify if you know your maths

T

trev

trev !!! your a lucky lad theres skilled tradesmen of many year experience here giving good advice and not bulling you up
if your daft enough to ignore it ,good for you
one day it will cost you dear
as for personal insults to me! seen it all before
its true what they say (you have to pay to learn )
shame really
you made the classic mistake with the border its easy to rectify if you know your maths

pj, i'm sorry if you took my comments as an insult it was not my intention i was trying to lighten the mood, sorry.
Right, down to business, to everyone who commented on my pic thank you very much and to all the critques, what can i say? At the moment i'm eating my weight in humble pie!:grin: I love doing vicky geometric and have also looked into what i have done. I agree my border could have worked out better, i made a mistake, although it is acceptable to do borders like this if it is different to the pattern (if the maths does not work out) please accept my apoligies. If you's had not kept on at me i still would have been ignorant of this fact and i'm glad i looked in to it more.

I can't thank you all enough for this insight and once again sorry for being an arse:yes:

I will pay more attention on my setting out from now on!

All the best

Trev

F

frankenfurter

Hello Trev,
Did you learn your Victorian tiling on a course or self taught?
I learnt mine through an apprenticeship many moons ago, period tiling is all I do now both wall and floor - I shudder at the thought of large format things. Most of our work is restoration work where we hand cut every tile from larger tiles, it's the only way to get decent matches to imperial sizing.
You can usually work out a floor purely based on maths, when you get used to it, it's pretty easy. I used to do them on graph paper years ago, now any old notepad will do. But try getting a look at some of the old floors and look how they overcome certain problems and obstacles, sometimes it's easier to figure out when you see how someone else set it down.
You'll also see that centring of borders is not as important as flow. If everything is square and straight and your design flows, being centred becomes less important.
Frank

T

trev

Hello Trev,
Did you learn your Victorian tiling on a course or self taught?
I learnt mine through an apprenticeship many moons ago, period tiling is all I do now both wall and floor - I shudder at the thought of large format things. Most of our work is restoration work where we hand cut every tile from larger tiles, it's the only way to get decent matches to imperial sizing.
You can usually work out a floor purely based on maths, when you get used to it, it's pretty easy. I used to do them on graph paper years ago, now any old notepad will do. But try getting a look at some of the old floors and look how they overcome certain problems and obstacles, sometimes it's easier to figure out when you see how someone else set it down.
You'll also see that centring of borders is not as important as flow. If everything is square and straight and your design flows, being centred becomes less important.
Frank

Thanks for that frank.:thumbsup: Bit of both really, done some with a company and helped out guys then i did a 1 week course at PTS Harlow. the 'original' one i did was my first big one on my own so i suppose i was a bit protective over it. I put in the rope edging and had to use nosing bars for the three steps which i had not done before. what a learning curve that job was!!(in more ways than one).
Would it be ok, if when i get a spare day, to come along and labour for you for a day? No pay just to see what you do. That is of course you are not a milliion miles away!!:lol:
PM me with your details if poss. thanks very much

Trev

S

Spud

Thanks for that frank.:thumbsup: Bit of both really, done some with a company and helped out guys then i did a 1 week course at PTS Harlow. the 'original' one i did was my first big one on my own so i suppose i was a bit protective over it. I put in the rope edging and had to use nosing bars for the three steps which i had not done before. what a learning curve that job was!!(in more ways than one).
Would it be ok, if when i get a spare day, to come along and labour for you for a day? No pay just to see what you do. That is of course you are not a milliion miles away!!:lol:
PM me with your details if poss. thanks very much

Trev
trev you have alot of ability you dont need to work for free if this is the road you wish to go down then just open your eyes there are so many good examples all over the paths and hall ways of london good luck

P

pjtiler

it takes a big man to admite a misteak bud
top man
any help i can give to sort out your setting out ill be only to pleased
as for the lads who would like to learn the art (and it is an art ) of
ceometric borders
sod paying good money to some dodgy sclool
there enough old farts on here to set you on the right road
once you forget there tiles and look at the numbers its easy
fiddley none the less but easy
you could start by cutting you own design
remember even number modules 2"x 2" for a start

T

The D

it takes a big man to admite a misteak bud
top man
any help i can give to sort out your setting out ill be only to pleased
as for the lads who would like to learn the art (and it is an art ) of
ceometric borders
sod paying good money to some dodgy sclool
there enough old farts on here to set you on the right road
once you forget there tiles and look at the numbers its easy
fiddley none the less but easy
you could start by cutting you own design
remember even number modules 2"x 2" for a start
PJ you old softy:lol:

Reply to Vicky Geometric in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
D
Hi, Had a bit of nightmare at work. I poured some floor level onto a step which was to be tiled...
Replies
Views
swanman
S
A
Hi all, Ive just had a job in where the customer wants me to lay a victorian path. Its 10 x 1.3m...
Replies
Views
All Squared Rob
A

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.