UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss warning to all tilers old and new! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brummie tiler

Hi everybody, just thought i would share some bad new with you all and hopefully stop anybody else making the same painfull mistake as me.
Ok, here goes. I started a job yesterday which was supposed to last for 3 weeks. It was a resteraunt, work involved was 3 sets of toilets, kitchen area, entranceway all mostly fully tiled ,floors and walls. As you can imagine i was fairley excited as this was probably my biggest job to date. Cue bad luck. As the day wore on the breaking handle on my rubi seemed to be playing up and i eventually realized that it was bent from overuse and i would need to get another one, As it was about 3pm i thought i would leave it until the morning to go and buy another so what i did was score the tiles and break them on the edge of my cutter with my hand, they were only ceramic and this worked pretty well until..... one of the tiles broke at a sharp angle, thus going straight through the middle of my hand leaving me with a hole the size of a 50 pence piece just underneath my thumb and blood squirting out like a water fountain. im now due to have an operation in the next 2 days to repair the severed muscles in my hand.:sad_smile::sad_smile: So if this post stops anybody else from doing the same i will have done my bit..... thnx for listening.

'depressed brummie tiler'

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
We always used to say, snap the tile with the tile break facing away from you using your fingers, not slamming the back of the score on an object forcing the cut (razor sharp, glass-type glaze effect) to skim your hand/palm/wrist and chopping bits of like a kebab.

Really really nasty sharp tiles are.

Hope you're back on the tools soon mate, if not already. (I've worked with a broken hand before and then as soon as it was plastered I was shaping the plaster cast to fit my tools.)

Get Well Soon :thumbs_up:
----
P.s..... suppose we'll be seing you on the forums a bit more for a few days then. And I bet it took you ages to type that with a stinging arm. lol

Last edited:
B

brummie tiler

brh tiling can you pm me your number coz the guy is looking for somebody else. the job is in hall green, birmingham if you know those parts?

Going to be back on the tools asap, although something like this happening makes you take a step back, i will always be making sure im working safely from now on. I guess i was a bit ignorant to alot of safety issues b4. oh well lesson learned.

Sorry to hear of your accident mate, I've just come back from Falmouth, a nice 500 +m2 job that I did for my brother and his business partner, the reason I'm telling you this is because his partener lost an arm 2 years ago in a car accident. You wanna see this guy go, he has a prostetic limb from just below the elbow with twin metal hooks that look and work like your middle and index fingers. There isn't much he can't do, very few exeptions, chin up mate :)

T

The_Master

How many bods have done the same?

My sore old trick is with thick porcelain that the rubi breaker can't handle.

Score the tile and break over ya knee.......then scream cos it hurts.

Then take ya time laying it to let ya sore knee get better............Then do it again:sad_smile:

Sad really the habits you get into ?
get a sigma, no problems, i did the same thing but not to that extent cutting like a U shaped tile then went to snap it the full thing broke into 2 points which stuck into my hands, they where like stigmata lol exactelly the same spot in the middle of 2 hands that was fun tiling for the rest of the day lol, hope the hands alright m8

Q

Qwerty

I got 12 stitches in my arm where I stood backwards to admire my fantastic tiling, tripped over the sigma onto a rusty nail sticking out the wall........put a lovely tear in my arm !!!

Wouldn't have happened with a Rubi!......

.........you could have impaled yourself on a rusty cutter instead and just left the nail out of the equation!! :D

S

Spacey

You want to try sticking a Stanley blade in your self
20170324_195518.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to warning to all tilers old and new! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A
Abit about myself to start off with. Been in the building game for 30 years and can turn my...
Replies
Views
C
M
so busy this year, booked until mid September, taken on another 2 tilers, but I need more as my...
Replies
Views
C
hi all, my name is carl im a 42yr old married man living in the bolton area greater manchester...
Replies
Views
P
Hello mate.......I was back on the job for Dorritt today........ I got there about 8.00 and...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
D
Hello folks, My name is Adrian and Im new to Tilers Forums. I am from...
Replies
Views
steveb
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.