Discuss What have you been up to lately in and out of work? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Well Guys, I've quit the tiling game now, and I just started a new job on Monday. Finished my last tiling job a couple of weeks back (30m2 60x30 bowed B&Q porcelain laid brickbond...yuk!). The customer was happy and asked me back to do the downstairs loo once it's ready. So I'll fit that in on a weekend off next month. May have a couple more tiling jobs to do for one for one of the builders I worked for, but other than that - I'm out!!

I was a plumber before I started tiling, so I've gone back to that, but working for a renewable energy company installing thermodynamic energy panels.

Had a series of unfortunate events happen to me in the latter half of last year and first few months of this year which made me fall behind financially (back went twice/van repairs/accident that was not my fault causing my van to be written off/plus a job that went wrong causing the customer to slap a CCJ on me - IMO it was the builder on that job that caused the additional work, but I didn't have the funds to defend it in court. So I settled out of court with the customer for approx. 1/3 of the value of their claim). Need to keep my credit clear, as I want to apply for a mortgage soon!

As I have a young child to provide for, it got to the point where I had to have a guaranteed income again. Grew tired of running around pandering to the timewasters, and constantly getting undercut by the cowboys.

I tip my hat to all of you who have made a successful career out of tiling, and would like to thank those of you who answered my questions when I asked.

I did manage to get myself a DW24000 earlier this year, and not decided if I will sell it yet. Is there a place here I can advertise it, if/when I decide to sell?

Best Wishes to you all.

D

Dougs Third Go

Well Guys, I've quit the tiling game now, and I just started a new job on Monday. Finished my last tiling job a couple of weeks back (30m2 60x30 bowed B&Q porcelain laid brickbond...yuk!). The customer was happy and asked me back to do the downstairs loo once it's ready. So I'll fit that in on a weekend off next month. May have a couple more tiling jobs to do for one for one of the builders I worked for, but other than that - I'm out!!

I was a plumber before I started tiling, so I've gone back to that, but working for a renewable energy company installing thermodynamic energy panels.

Had a series of unfortunate events happen to me in the latter half of last year and first few months of this year which made me fall behind financially (back went twice/van repairs/accident that was not my fault causing my van to be written off/plus a job that went wrong causing the customer to slap a CCJ on me - IMO it was the builder on that job that caused the additional work, but I didn't have the funds to defend it in court. So I settled out of court with the customer for approx. 1/3 of the value of their claim). Need to keep my credit clear, as I want to apply for a mortgage soon!

As I have a young child to provide for, it got to the point where I had to have a guaranteed income again. Grew tired of running around pandering to the timewasters, and constantly getting undercut by the cowboys.

I tip my hat to all of you who have made a successful career out of tiling, and would like to thank those of you who answered my questions when I asked.

I did manage to get myself a DW24000 earlier this year, and not decided if I will sell it yet. Is there a place here I can advertise it, if/when I decide to sell?

Best Wishes to you all.
yep, we have a For Sale section. Good luck with your new job. http://www.tilersforums.com/12-sale-wanted/

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to What have you been up to lately in and out of work? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Staffordshire, UK
Website
https://www.tilersforums.co.uk
What member type are you?
  1. DIY Wall and Floor Tiler
Business Name
Ekthetikos / untold.media

Thread Information

Title
What have you been up to lately in and out of work?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Australia Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond