Discuss What is the hardest tile you have came across to cut? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

Take it you haven't had the best of days either!

Well let's just say this job is presenting me with a whole new load of challenges.
Don't want to say much, it'll spoil the laughter at the end! Haha

Oh dear, got to say I do empathise.

It seems to be catching then.
I know of at least 5 guys on different jobs today all having a day from hell!

O

One Day

Hardest has been a full bodied porcelain from Royal Mosa. They weighed about twice what a normal tile weighs. Sigma needed a great whack to split them.
Most difficult was a glass-glazed, cushion-edged 90x90 floor tile from Fanal.
Nothing, but nothing would cut them cleanly.

Why do tile manufacturers make tiles without any consideration for cutting them???
It's happening more and more.

I

Italy

I want to make the white fly ... :).
I think differently, the big sizes, they involve cooking and pressing
Different, and therefore are harder to cut. (Otherwise, they all come crashing)
many smaller rectified sizes, still come from large formats.
Example 30x60, is often a cut 120x120 tile.

Unfortunately, the technology to run and tiler must follow.

I happened a couple of times, unable to make cuts.
but they have paid compensation, because they have admitted the mistake.

If a tile, do not cut with a grinder and
A good blade, you have to call the dealer or the company
producer. because, no cutter succeed.

ps. For good blade, I mean GOOD BLADE. (For the deaf)

Now do not scold me.

I

Italy

Funny enough we had a guy in yesterday who makes bullet proof vests and he was looking to cut some 10mm bullet proof ceramic (genuinely).

No diamond blade would touch it, it just bounced off the side of this ceramic plate.

After that we thought we had no chance, but i had my Sigma 3C3M in the shop so we had a go, and it did it!!! So now we can safely say that Sigma's can cut bullet proof materials :p:)

Pretty useless info i know, but it was something a bit different. :)

Sam
A few years ago, I saw a documentary about the war.
Said that in the tanks, the walls contain porcelain tiles.
I do not remember the thickness, but I remember that they are in multiple layers.

T

Tile Shop

Vitra Pro Metro 20mm :( We've had a sample in ahead of taking into stock next month. Documenting a cutting and fixing guide. The fixing bit I have nailed, but cutting....... I started with our Battipav Supreme, no problem. Rubi ND200 with viper blade. Took some balancing but got there eventually. Now slowly working down the range of cutters I have at my disposal. The Rubi TX wouldn't touch it. I could actually see the tile laughing at me! Going to bring my Monti and grinder in tomorrow to see what the best method will be.

Anyone else had experience? @antonio , didn't you do a 20mm porcelain job a few months ago?

I

Italy

Vitra Pro Metro 20mm :( We've had a sample in ahead of taking into stock next month. Documenting a cutting and fixing guide. The fixing bit I have nailed, but cutting....... I started with our Battipav Supreme, no problem. Rubi ND200 with viper blade. Took some balancing but got there eventually. Now slowly working down the range of cutters I have at my disposal. The Rubi TX wouldn't touch it. I could actually see the tile laughing at me! Going to bring my Monti and grinder in tomorrow to see what the best method will be.

Anyone else had experience? @antonio , didn't you do a 20mm porcelain job a few months ago?
viper, is no good for 20mm.
You need a blade, which downloads quickly, debris.
Otherwise it will heat up. I can only tell you what he told me montoit.
size?

T

Tile Shop

viper, is no good for 20mm.
You need a blade, which downloads quickly, debris.
Otherwise it will heat up. I can only tell you what he told me montoit.
size?

ND 200 so 200mm blade...... 600x600x20mm tile. It worked and it was fairly neat. but did struggle.... took a good few minutes but didn't count how many. The battipav I did in 3-4 passes with the Battipav 300 fast-cut [serrated] wheel.

I

Italy

ND 200 so 200mm blade...... 600x600x20mm tile. It worked and it was fairly neat. but did struggle.... took a good few minutes but didn't count how many. The battipav I did in 3-4 passes with the Battipav 300 fast-cut [serrated] wheel.
Some cuts, I used sigma 100cm.
(The easier ones).
The rest, with montolit tcs 115, clean cuts.
Or montolit txn 115, faster, but not clean cuts.
I posed, 40x100x 20mm, I think .... ahaha
I do not remember anymore.

Reply to What is the hardest tile you have came across to cut? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi Guys, I’ve have a job coming up to install lily pad porcelain hexagon tiles. It’s the first...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, i took some jobs as a contractor for some MC Donald's restaurants but i find it quite...
Replies
Views
Im going to be tiling my shower room walls and floor with some large format tiles as per the...
Replies
Views
Dear TilersForum Thank you so much for the outstanding advice and expert information over time...
Replies
Views
This kitchen is not level as can be seen in the attached picture. From floorboard to kitchen...
Replies
Views
Sid2323
S

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB