Discuss What the hell's a 'Trip Rail'? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Council are replacing the grass outside the house with "reinforced grass" (I chuckled to read that but I guess they just mean tougher grass like used for rugby etc) and a "trip rail". WTF is a trip rail?

I'm thinking either a hand rail (which we don't have now and I hope they don't stick one up as we and all the neighbours have to park our cars on there) or some funky kerb or something but I just can't get my head around it.

Any clues?

Trip Rail. Trip Rail. What are you Trip Rail?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Oh bugger, I think it's one of these: trip rail - Google Search

Clearly some interfering neighbour's idea. lol

Looks like they don't want us to park cars there. I tell you what, I'll gladly stick my old spacewagon on the proper road which has two blind bends on it (coming from both ways) but there have been 11 accidents in 18 months right there. It would last about half hour before causing an accident.

The tiny cul-de-sac style bit of road we have outside fits 4 cars there. There are 12 houses. Most have two cars. lol

This is going to be a funny one.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
lol Stew.

Screen shot 2011-04-05 at 20.11.29.jpg

Checkout the tiny bit of parking we'd have if we didn't have the the grass accessible. And checkout the blind bend that was a 60 until the end of last year and now it's a 30 after all the accidents. One car flipped and landed in the house oposite us 1 meter from their actual house. Smashed through the fencing for the horses (luckily they shat it and ran it the other way away from the road) and was upside down. The lad was alright but well shaken up.

We have small drives around the back but A) unless you have an off roader you're going to be digging up the grass in the middle of the tracks with your radiator and the underside of your car as a bloke parks his van around there with all his work gear in it and it must be heavy as the tracks are a good 9inches deep. And B) you can actually turn the car the 90 degrees to get on the drive without having to again go off road a bit (in 5ft high grass) as it's never tendered to.

So unless they're tarting all that up too we're buggered.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Way to risky riding a bike down this road G. Canal is just across the field but we still get the serious cyclists on their racers down the road. They ride side by side too so you have to dart onto the wrong side of the road in your car. And there are about 5 blind bends on the road.

I have a feeling this will be going on for some time as they're right clicky around here and tend to write community letters to all sorts of people to complain. I'm guessing one of them have moaned about the grass looking a bit tatty around the edges where grass doesn't grow due to the cars always bumping up that bit of the kerb. But it's backfired this time as now they'll stop us driving on it full stop by the sounds of it.

Although they do say this new grass will be fully reinforced?! lol So perhaps I'm getting the wrong end of the stick.

D

DHTiling

They have some of these areas on the older part of our town... they will be plastic grids put down with open sections for the grass to grow through and this makes parking on them without damaging the grass base.. then the trip rail will be a small birds mouth type fence to stop you parking on the pavement..

Loads of off road parking is going this way as it makes it look nicer than tarmac'd areas..

Reply to What the hell's a 'Trip Rail'? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good evening to all. I’m here this evening looking for some advice if you would be so kind...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Replies
Views
D
HELP - WHATS YOUR ADVICE Got an angry neighbour (last ten years) who is particular about the...
2 3 4 5 6
Replies
Views
I
......All this in 3.5 days ? should i quote based on what he expects ? Removal Remove Existing...
Replies
Views
O
Hi and thanks in advance for all advice. we are making 2 bathrooms in the top floor of an old...
Replies
Views
Uheat - Keith
U

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Staffordshire, UK
Website
https://www.tilersforums.co.uk
What member type are you?
  1. DIY Wall and Floor Tiler
Business Name
Ekthetikos / untold.media

Thread Information

Title
What the hell's a 'Trip Rail'?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.