Discuss What's the best kind of induction hob? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

Any budding sparky'a out there, or kitchen designers maybe? [MENTION=10851]Colour Republic[/MENTION] :smilewinkgrin:
My dilema is that I need to purchase a new hob for our kitchen, and I'd like to get an induction hob.
My question is, which is better,
an induction hob that is hard wired and draws approx up to 7kw of power,
or an induction hob which you can just plug into a mains socket and draws less than 3kw.
on the face of it obviously the plug in would be better because it should be greener and cost less to run, but does it?
Are there any pro's and con's for either, over each other?
if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd truly be grateful.
Thanks peeps! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

And not a spur, both switches are going to have to be of the 45amp variety at least, your better off getting a pro to advise / install, don't go by my ramblings
Haha, ok I wont. No why I'm in a hurry to know is so I can actually buy one today. If I can order by 8pm I can have it tomorrow. If I have anymore takeout or microwave meals I think I might need a gastric band! :lol:
Cheers Alan.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Kitchens are classified as "special areas" under the building regulations. It would be illegal for you to run the cable and insall. The hob yourself unless you are qualified under part p of the regs. Get a pro spark in

16mm cable, 45amp dp switch, separate 32 amp rcd on the consumer unit.

O

Old Mod

Kitchens are classified as "special areas" under the building regulations. It would be illegal for you to run the cable and insall. The hob yourself unless you are qualified under part p of the regs. Get a pro spark in

16mm cable, 45amp dp switch, separate 32 amp rcd on the consumer unit.
Thanks Alan, appreciate that.
Oh don't worry NO intention of wiring it myself! :thumbsdown: But you know how it is, sometimes you may be given information by a trademan that is not exactly the whole truth. So I just thought I'd ask you guys on here in the hope that I'd get an impartial answer. Was just an idea. I can ask on site tomorrow probably, but was kinda hoping I could order one today so it'll come tomorrow. That's all.
The main question still is, is there any real difference between the hard wired type and the plug in type. What Would be the pro's or con's of choosing plug in, just for the simple ease of it?
Thanks again chaps and chapesses. :thumbsup:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
When I had my new electric oven fitted I installed the cable under the floor from the consumer unit to the switch inside the kitchen unit. No reason why you can't lay the cable and have the spark terminate and test. Just need to make sure you have the correct cable for the load, saved myself about £40 by doing that

O

Old Mod

When I had my new electric oven fitted I installed the cable under the floor from the consumer unit to the switch inside the kitchen unit. No reason why you can't lay the cable and have the spark terminate and test. Just need to make sure you have the correct cable for the load, saved myself about £40 by doing that

thats a good idea John, thanks for that.
At over a grand for a reasonable oven and hob, saving a few pennies always helps :thumbsup:

O

Old Mod

Ok, so got my answer, with the plug in type obviously it can't draw as much power as the hard wired type. So as u turn on more and more induction plates the power management system limits the current that it draws. In essence, u can't have all 4 plates on max power because that would blow the fuse, so it shares the available power between them. So if u can cook with two plates you're kool, if u need more than two it might be a pain cos you're not going to have full power available to all plates. :thumbsdown:
So it's gonna have to be a hard wired type for me, which will be a pain, supply is opposite end of house. :incazzato:
Thank you gents for your input, all really appreciated! :8:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
What you don't want, and my sparky advised, is to have an oven on the same circuit as all your sockets otherwise chances are it will trip out, because it will be overloaded when all appliances are switched on, which would probably on Xmas day so no turkey for you!! Keep your oven and hob on its own dedicated circuit to avoid this and it should be fine. Speak to your sparky to see if you require just one cable or if you need a cable for the oven and hob individually, my sparky knowledge doesn't extend that far.

O

Old Mod

What you don't want, and my sparky advised, is to have an oven on the same circuit as all your sockets otherwise chances are it will trip out, because it will be overloaded when all appliances are switched on, which would probably on Xmas day so no turkey for you!! Keep your oven and hob on its own dedicated circuit to avoid this and it should be fine. Speak to your sparky to see if you require just one cable or if you need a cable for the oven and hob individually, my sparky knowledge doesn't extend that far.
thanks John, much appreciated!
yeah I have one dedicated circuit already, which I'll use for the oven, so I'll have to get a second installed for the hob now.
Things u gotta do to get fed eh! :mad2:
Thanks again :thumbsup:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
thanks John, much appreciated!
yeah I have one dedicated circuit already, which I'll use for the oven, so I'll have to get a second installed for the hob now.
Things u gotta do to get fed eh! :mad2:
Thanks again :thumbsup:

Or just use your phone and get it delivered, cheaper than buying an new oven haha

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Ok, so got my answer, with the plug in type obviously it can't draw as much power as the hard wired type. So as u turn on more and more induction plates the power management system limits the current that it draws. In essence, u can't have all 4 plates on max power because that would blow the fuse, so it shares the available power between them. So if u can cook with two plates you're kool, if u need more than two it might be a pain cos you're not going to have full power available to all plates. :thumbsdown:
So it's gonna have to be a hard wired type for me, which will be a pain, supply is opposite end of house. :incazzato:
Thank you gents for your input, all really appreciated! :8:

its about checking the cable size is right. The cooker itself cannot do this so the idea of it saying you can't have four rings on full is daft..no offence. What you are taking about is called diversity. It means that the cooker will not demand full power because each ring and oven will switch in and out based on demand. Normally cooker cables can be calculated based on 30 amps plus 30% of the remaining demand so if your cooker is rates 40amps yOu take 30 amps plus 30% of the remaining power draw so 3 amps (30% of the remaining 10amps) which means your cable needs to take at leads at 33 amps. I'm fairly sure 16mm cable has a 52amp rating but you would need to double check this...

O

Old Mod

its about checking the cable size is right. The cooker itself cannot do this so the idea of it saying you can't have four rings on full is daft..no offence. What you are taking about is called diversity. It means that the cooker will not demand full power because each ring and oven will switch in and out based on demand. Normally cooker cables can be calculated based on 30 amps plus 30% of the remaining demand so if your cooker is rates 40amps yOu take 30 amps plus 30% of the remaining power draw so 3 amps (30% of the remaining 10amps) which means your cable needs to take at leads at 33 amps. I'm fairly sure 16mm cable has a 52amp rating but you would need to double check this...
What I'm talking about is a PLUG IN INDUCTION HOB rated @13amps. They are out there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 43
O

Old Mod

At least you didn't have to think too hard about her birthday present!!

Yeah the first part of the present was the cooking pans. The second half was this
5533d60d019a36d9c8800bb0b457bbe5.jpg

It's brilliant it's a portable induction cooker.
It's great it will boil water quicker than a kettle and is light and coming to site with me when the new cooker is installed. A little over £40 in Curry's. [emoji106][emoji12]

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to What's the best kind of induction hob? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

M
Hello all, I seem to be in a dilemma with the tiler and tiling my bathroom. First of all...
Replies
Views
J
I’m looking to put quarry tiles down in the kitchen in the rear part of my victorian terraced...
Replies
Views
T
Hi all. First time poster here so thanks in advance for any help you can give and apologies if...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
D
Hi, Been lurking around the forum for the last couple of days and began to feel a bit...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB