UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss what's the best move??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

saambo

Hi all,

Ok now i've read almost every post on this very good site re all sorts of things and there is loads of advice out there,

My main question is what's the next step for me in my current situation?

I,m working full time (not tiling) but am very keen on doing some tiling courses so i can gain knowlege and do a few friends and family's bathrooms etc in my spare time and EVENTUALLY maybe (when i,m fully compitant) branching out on my own.

So i can either do a course weekend's or take some time off work.But i,m getting all sorts of mixed feelings re 4 day courses etc.

So was just asking for a few ideas from you lot on what is my next step, advice welcome from both experienced and not experienced peeps.:)

Cheers Sam

W

wivers

I can tell u what i did mate and see if it gives you an idea. I was a postman. I took 2 weeks off to do the 2 week course at PTS Harlow. I ended up staying on for the extra 2 weeks, which in my opinion i really benefited from. After that i went back to the post while i got my bussiness cards, yellow pages ad and all my other advertising sorted. Stayed on as a postman to keep a basic wage coming in as i needed bills payed every week. Any work i had coming in i fitted around that, until i had so much coming in that the stress of trying to jugle it all made me take the leap into full time tiling.
Having a garenteed income when i was first starting out helped me alot as i didn't have to worry about getting my bills paid and could concerntrate on getting my bussiness set up properly. Hope this helps a bit mate.

S

saambo

I can tell u what i did mate and see if it gives you an idea. I was a postman. I took 2 weeks off to do the 2 week course at PTS Harlow. I ended up staying on for the extra 2 weeks, which in my opinion i really benefited from. After that i went back to the post while i got my bussiness cards, yellow pages ad and all my other advertising sorted. Stayed on as a postman to keep a basic wage coming in as i needed bills payed every week. Any work i had coming in i fitted around that, until i had so much coming in that the stress of trying to jugle it all made me take the leap into full time tiling.
Having a garenteed income when i was first starting out helped me alot as i didn't have to worry about getting my bills paid and could concerntrate on getting my bussiness set up properly. Hope this helps a bit mate.

Cheers for the reply mate, very helpfull.

See i,m debating wether to go on that 4 day course (due to only got few days hols left) or doing a 4 week course next year....just trying to suss out what would be more beneficial?

Yeah i was thinking of doing the same re the stay at work bit till i get nmore work etc.

So how busy are ya mate? if you dont mind me asking?

And is your work mainly from word of mouth?

Sam

C

Concept PHT

There is a of of debate about what courses to choose. What I will say is choose a centre that offers an accredited qualification (ICA or equivalent/ NVQ) or an approved training course that can help you lead into an NVQ. There are a very small amoount of centres that offer both these..

2 reasons for this. You know you are getting the correct training and you will also get a recognised qualification at the end of the journey.

Any help and advice as to where to look, then please ask :)

S

saambo

I did a 4 day tiling course at NETT and it was absolutely fantastic. I am currently in the transition from emloyed to self-employed, as in i have my 9-5 job and am doing my tiling jobs on weekends and evenings to build up my portfolio and more importantly...a good reputation.

Thanks chaps,

All i have to do now is choose 1 of the many couses available...:happy: ....

which one to choose?????

lol

T

T & P

I did a 4 day tiling course at NETT and it was absolutely fantastic. I am currently in the transition from emloyed to self-employed, as in i have my 9-5 job and am doing my tiling jobs on weekends and evenings to build up my portfolio and more importantly...a good reputation.

I'm thinking of doing the same but how are you finding it? Just a few questions if you don't mind.

1) What sort of jobs can you do in a weekend and any problems with customers not wanting you there at weekends?

2) What do you do if the jobs going to take more than a couple of days?

3) Are you charging customers less because their fitting in round you?

4) Do you ever tell customers your only a part time tiler?

5) Have there been any other problems to contend with only doing part time?

And the last couple of questions, anyone else took this part time route and how long was it before you could launch out full time?

Thanks

V

Varley

I'm thinking of doing the same but how are you finding it? Just a few questions if you don't mind.

1) What sort of jobs can you do in a weekend and any problems with customers not wanting you there at weekends?

2) What do you do if the jobs going to take more than a couple of days?

3) Are you charging customers less because their fitting in round you?

4) Do you ever tell customers your only a part time tiler?

5) Have there been any other problems to contend with only doing part time?

And the last couple of questions, anyone else took this part time route and how long was it before you could launch out full time?

Thanks

1) You can take on any job really, just you won't be able to do it in one weekend, explain this to the customer and leave it for them to decide. As for customers not wanting you there weekends, never. Normally it suits them better as they needn't take any time off work etc. Not always mind. Even though i only work weekends i still got a job from a property developer totaling 60m2, just took a few weekends thats all.

2) If the job is going to take more than a couple of days explain this to the customer, not normally a problem unless they are in a mad rush eg, they need the tiling done within 2 weeks as the house is going up for sale then. Even in these circumstances i have said i would go out evenings aswell to ensure the work would be completed, and got the jobs.

3) Absolutely not. If they want my expetise and knowledge then they are gonna have to pay for it.

4) Yes i often do, depends on the customer. I don't like deceiving my customers so i normally tell it as it is, that i am in that transition period. Being part time doesn't lose you jobs, If your portfolio and patter is up to scratch it really doesn't matter if your part time or full time.

5) Obviously you can get pretty tired working seven days a week and on occasions evenings aswell. Also it can be difficult getting work from actual companies, ie kitchen/bathroom companies if you can only do weekends, doesn't exactly fit to their schedule.

Hope this helps a bit mate, if i haven't been clear or if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask away :)

C

CON5933

Have been part time about 8 months now, am currently doing my c&g 6129 plumbing course which i'm hoping to have finished by the end of summer, then taking the plunge. :)

Really good move on the plumbing mate, gives you an edge.
I'm 44 now so not botherin with the plumbing qualification, I'll still do the full installs but I've got a mate who's qualified so come the day I'll get him to check on anything that's a bit iffy, insurance work or the dreaded 'lead' etc...

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to what's the best move??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.