Discuss Whats wrong with my tiled floor? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all, :thumbsup:

Great forum with a wealth of knowledge.

Here goes with my first post, i live on the first floor of a new build (5 yrs ago) converted granary. My bathroom is porcelain tiled and over the last 2 yrs a number of tiles have started to crack.

I decided to investigate (under the bath) what they have been laid onto and it appears this is the setup-

- Tounge and groove chipboard floor
-17mm floating plywood on top of chipboard floor
- 17mm Tounge and Groove on top of plywood
- Tiles

I cant tell without removing tiles if the top level T&G is fixed to the plywood however i can tell you the plywood appears to be unattached to the main chipboard flooring.

So before i pay someone to lay my expensive new tiles and possibly UFH, what should be done to stop this happening again?

All advice gratefully welcome.

Thanks

jump up and down gently on your toes on the floor and if there is any bounce in the floor then it's not suitable for tiling

there appears to be little movement apart from near the walls. When looking under the bath i could see the top plywood and T&G is simply butted up against the stud wall. The stud wall is mounted onto of the actual floor board.

Right... i have spoken to a very helpful guy at the builders (previous comments taken back lol) and he has told me i have a floating acoustic layer above the T&G chipboard floorboards. This layer consists of 17mm ply, 2mm rubber matting and 17mm T&G chipboard T&which is all bonded as one layer. He did admit this is not the best platform for laying tiles but couldn't offer a solution as this was specified by the developers to reduce sound travel between floors.

So what should i do? Can i simply screw down this acoustic layer and lay tiles on top, accepting i (and my neighbour) will loose the sound proofing properties? Being a bathroom and the floor below having the same layout i can't see this being a major problem.

Just to add to the mix, I'm seriously looking at fitting electric UFH whilst i have the opportunity and would like to know how this fits into the equation.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Reply to Whats wrong with my tiled floor? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
Hi, it's my first time here and I'm desperate to solve this problem. Can someone please tell me...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Whats wrong with my tiled floor?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.