Discuss Whats wrong with my tiled floor? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I'm new to this, so wait for someone with more experience to confirm it.

But if the building requires an acoustic layer, then you can get one's suitable for tiling. The one I seen at my local tile shop display is made by Schluter systems.

If your considering UFH though have you looked at marmox boards?

I had a job recently with similar floor construction. Didn't have a rubber acoustic layer, it was 10mm fibre floating on 25mm ply, overlaid with 22mm chipboard!

To prep the floor I ripped up the T&G chipboard and sound insulation, screwed down the ply on top of the joists (was previously only randomly nailed down, but the floor/joists were solid). I then used 30mm marmox fixed with flexible addy and mechanical fixings, laid a loose wire UFH system, covered in flexible adhesive again and laid a de-coupling membrane, then laid a slate floor on top using flexible addy & grout.

You can get marmox in varying thicknesses, so with a bit of homework, you can work out roughly the right thickness board required to get you back to the original floor level including the new tiles, decoupling membrane and UFH!!

Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

if its a conversion then you have a floating floor to deaden sound transfer to the property below

you cant fix it down as it will transfer sound, there are ways around this but your first port of call is the developers as already said

I have spoken to the developers and although they have told me its an floating acoustic overboard floor - im still unsure what i should do to allow me to re tile.

I have just had another look at it and their is also foam underneath the ply.

Re: Whats wrong with my tiled floor? Progress Update with Questions and Pics!

Evening all, I have finally got round to booking a week of work to get my bathroom sorted.

DAY 1

was spent removing all of the old tiles - 70% coming up very easily and the remaining being a total nightmare. :thumbsdown:

This left 18mm water RESISTANT (green) T&G chipboard which was WATER damaged around the bath area. :incazzato:

DAY 2

I decided to remove all the T&G as part was water damaged and i needed to see what was left underneath as i had been told by the builder that i have an acoustic substrate layer.

First i had to use a circular saw to cut around the bath, cupboard, entrance door and then into sections as the T&G was bonded together. Very messy. :lol:

This has taken all day and I'm knackered.

full.JPG board profile.JPG board.JPG T andG.JPG

As you can see in the pictures I'm left with sections of acoustic panels sitting on top of standard T&G chipboard nailed to the joists. These acoustic panels have a rubber/furry material each side of a 10mm piece of timber (not sure what timber though?) The backing material can easily be pulled away from the boards so my question is -

Can i screw these 10mm wooden panels (unknown material) to the T&G chipboard and then fix my 10mm Marmox tile backer boards with adhesive? Going on top of this is UFH and SLC. The floor is very firm with no notable deflection :smilewinkgrin:

I had planned to also tile the walk in (sort of walk-in anyway ) cupboard in the bathroom at a later stage as this houses the water tank and didn't want to be without running water for a week. I'm now wondering if i should leave the white tiles in place and use a strip of timber on the floor to separate the different rooms/tiles. What are peoples experiences with this - will it look rubbish?

open cupboard.JPG

doors.JPG

This is seriously hard work and i have full admiration for you tilers - i do hope I'm over the hard stuff and bring on tomorrow! :hurray:

Last edited:
Be careful what size screws you use if you go ahead, as the pipes may be high in the floor cavity, which might explain why no fixings in the first instance! It sounds to me like the ply has been glued and failed, maybe?
Good luck!

No central heating - only electric so no pipes to worry about. I have been working in my own ceiling void which is 600mm deep and all electrical cables are fixed to the joists about mid-way so should be safe to screw the boards down.

They are deffo acousic boards but i'm unsure what material the wood is?

Reply to Whats wrong with my tiled floor? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
Hi, it's my first time here and I'm desperate to solve this problem. Can someone please tell me...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Whats wrong with my tiled floor?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.