Discuss Whats wrong with my tiled floor? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Can't see a pic of the wood,..

board.JPG

:thumbsup:

Re: Whats wrong with my tiled floor? Progress Update with Questions and Pics!

Evening all

Just a quick Update -

Day 3

I pulled up all the acoustic panels and threw them in the skip! (left a run underneath the waste/water pipes and bath to assist with sound attenuation)

The 18mm T&G floorboards were in good order and pretty solid but I decided to screw them down next to the nails as a belt and braces approach. I decided to overboard with 12mm WPB Ply as this allowed me to bring the floor up to the original height. Because the floor is solid and I'm also using 10mm Marmox tilebacker boards I'm happy the 12mm ply will be sufficient however i realize this is a frequently disscused topic.

Day 4

I made a big mistake by leaving 10mm gaps between all the ply boards when screwing down with 25mm Spax screws -200mm centres. For some reason i thought i was told this was correct as I'm fitting UFH and needed to allow expansion gaps. After receiving great advice on the forum today (as always) , i pulled it all up and re-fixed with 2-4mm gaps (mostly 2mm). I found that the screws didn't bite as well this time round so i added more screws at 200mm centres for added security. This little episode cost me a lot of time today. :mad2:

All the Marmox tilebackboards have been cut ready for fixing tomorrow with Webber Rapid SPF tile adhesive. The supplier advised me to butt them up to one another and use the joint tape so marking out was straight forward. He also advised not to worry about using the screws and washers as a 3mm adhesive bed was sufficient on well prepped floors.

ply.JPG ply 2.JPG floorboards.JPG

Hopefully tomorrow goes a little smoother as i would also like to lay the UFH mat and pour the SLC so i can tile on Saturday :smilewinkgrin:

S

Scott

The reason you have the acoustic panels is so your property will pass its sounds test when built. Sadly it wont do that any longer as you have removed them. I dont think this will cause you any problems though as building control shouldnt have any need to carry out any further tests.

Some flats have a clause in the tenancy agreements, whether freehold of leasehold that hard flooring is not permitted. Maybe worht having a check up?

The reason you have the acoustic panels is so your property will pass its sounds test when built. Sadly it wont do that any longer as you have removed them. I dont think this will cause you any problems though as building control shouldnt have any need to carry out any further tests.

Some flats have a clause in the tenancy agreements, whether freehold of leasehold that hard flooring is not permitted. Maybe worht having a check up?

Yes i do appreciate this concern but the problem with this type of flooring is its not suitable for tilling as 25% of my tiles had cracked over a 2 yr period. I have chosen Marmox boards as a replacement as they offer good sound attenuation (i have been in touch with head office and acquired the lab test results) but i agree they will not match what i originally had. - I have had to compromise.

I have read through the freehold agreement and it stipulates that hard flooring is not allowed in the bedrooms/hall and carpet must be fitted. It goes onto say that no mechanical fixings (screws/nails) should be used in the floor which is interesting as the fixing strips are SCREWED down. :hurray:

Reply to Whats wrong with my tiled floor? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
Hi, it's my first time here and I'm desperate to solve this problem. Can someone please tell me...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Whats wrong with my tiled floor?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.