Discuss Who Is Right in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

IanA2

This could be true but then who's job was it to prep the floor. Even if adjusting the joists so level enough to reboard onto was not in the quotation then it should have been flagged up as a problem prior to continuing. I question the structure of the floor here as how many profesionals would now reboard a floor (presumably t&g) and then overlay with ply? (reboard with ply(or other) then tile backer board would be my option).

Most of us do that to some extent but we shouldn't according to BS5385 as the substrate should be prepared correctly (i.e. flat).

I am not really seeing much of a problem with the tiling in the pics. Take the first one yes there is a bit of a gap under the skirt which could be due to slight rise in the corner tile or twisted skirting. Either way the skirting could have been scribed to the floor and/or a white ( rather than clear) sealant could be used. The same I think is true for the other photos. Taking a picture with a level on the tiles that then shows unevenness or lippage may be more meaningful.
The pic with two skirts meeting at a corner (different heights) is not good but again just needs scribing to the floor so they meet.

It was his job to prepare the floor. The pictures don't really show just how uneven the tiles are. The reality is I think quite simple, he is not a professional tiler and the mistake made are very basic, that is, the adhesive was applied unevenly and/or the pressure he applied in setting the tiles was uneven, hence lips all over the place.

Here a few picks taken with a straight edge across, it doesn't really matter where on the floor the edge is placed, it pretty much shows the same unevenness.

Bottom line is that I think he's done a cr@p job and that his excuse are pathetic. I've done tiling myself (very much an amateur) and I have to say I would have done a better job.
IMG_0601.jpg
IMG_0601.jpg
IMG_0600.jpg
IMG_0599.jpg
done it better.

Do you think it was a good job? IMG_0598.jpg IMG_0586.jpg

J

J Sid

when you decided to let a builder loose on your project did you really expect perfection on all tasks he under took?
a tiler tiles
a plumber plumbs'
a carpenter......
a plaster.....
a electrician makes a mess, has your builder got the correct tickets to do your wiring?
a builder employs the correct trades for each job, he only attempts to do it himself if he is short of work.

I

IanA2

when you decided to let a builder loose on your project did you really expect perfection on all tasks he under took?
a tiler tiles
a plumber plumbs'
a carpenter......
a plaster.....
a electrician makes a mess, has your builder got the correct tickets to do your wiring?
a builder employs the correct trades for each job, he only attempts to do it himself if he is short of work.

He put in another bathroom for me a few years ago and the work was ok, in that job he subbed the tiling.
He has gas safe and electric tickets. His plumbing and electric work is satisfactory, as is his carpentry work. I suppose I hadn't really thought about the tiling, at first I assumed it would be subbed out again, and I guess it was a bit late by the time I realised he wasn't. That said, his other work is reasonable so perhaps I assumed his tiling would be ok too. Certainly I know I would have done the tiling better.

I assume from what you have said that you think it's not a good tiling job but that I am at fault for letting him do it. Is that right?

Regards perfection. At the prices this guy charges, it should be a lot better than it is......

ETA: He subbed the plasterer who was fine.

I

IanA2

if he had put a a silicon joint between tile and wood as he should would you have noticed problem's anywhere else?

Not quite sure what you mean. In general yes there were other problems with his work/attitude.

If you mean specifically in relation to the tiling, then the problems are as described. 1. They are laid unevenly across the floor, and 2. there are gaps under both under the T&G where not skirted, and also under the skirting where skirted.

ETA: Sorry just realised you were asking if silicone had been applied between tile and wood. It was.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Imo the job looks exactly what you would expect from a multi trader....not saying all multi traders are like that before some on here jump down my throat..
So have you paid him.?...if not with hold payment till your happy.
If he thinks the job is satisfactory then he may take you to court to get payment .
You may need to get an independent survey done by the t/a and that could cost up to £1,000 !!

I

IanA2

Imo the job looks exactly what you would expect from a multi trader....not saying all multi traders are like that before some on here jump down my throat..
So have you paid him.?...if not with hold payment till your happy.
If he thinks the job is satisfactory then he may take you to court to get payment .
You may need to get an independent survey done by the t/a and that could cost up to £1,000 !!
Unfortunately there were other problems with the job. We'll see how it pans out.

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
hemel hempstead
As mentioned before, A neat silicone joint between wood and tile would vastly improve things.

Also, this: "No they are not brick bond, which reminds me, he laid the tiles with the length across the threshold ie like _ rather than | which I found irritating as I always thought tiles should be laid length-ways as you enter a room" is total nonsense i'm afraid.

just saying

:):tongueclosed:

I

IanA2

As mentioned before, A neat silicone joint between wood and tile would vastly improve things.

Also, this: "No they are not brick bond, which reminds me, he laid the tiles with the length across the threshold ie like _ rather than | which I found irritating as I always thought tiles should be laid length-ways as you enter a room" is total nonsense i'm afraid.

just saying

:):tongueclosed:

As stated before, there is a silicone joint between wood and tile. The pics you see are the pics with the silicone.

Not sure why you think laying tiles length ways, and not vertically across the threshold of a door to improve visual flow, is nonsense. Ask any floorer how you lay a floor.

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
hemel hempstead
As stated before, there is a silicone joint between wood and tile. The pics you see are the pics with the silicone.

Not sure why you think laying tiles length ways, and not vertically across the threshold of a door to improve visual flow, is nonsense. Ask any floorer how you lay a floor.

Depends on the shape of the room, size of the room, what if there are multiple doors in the room on all walls? Having tiles laid the way he has done it can make a narrow room look wider for example. My point is there is no right or wrong way to lay them, its down to opinion, taste and a bit of artistic impression. What I will say is that I always ask the customer what way they want them laid to avoid this problem.

I hope it comes to a satisfactory conclusion for you but remember that its important to give him the opportunity to put things right. Goodluck!

I

IanA2

Depends on the shape of the room, size of the room, what if there are multiple doors in the room on all walls? Having tiles laid the way he has done it can make a narrow room look wider for example. My point is there is no right or wrong way to lay them, its down to opinion, taste and a bit of artistic impression. What I will say is that I always ask the customer what way they want them laid to avoid this problem.

I hope it comes to a satisfactory conclusion for you but remember that its important to give him the opportunity to put things right. Goodluck!
I has already explained to him about visual flow. He clearly didn't listen. It's actually quite a big room, there are no other doors,

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
hemel hempstead
I has already explained to him about visual flow. He clearly didn't listen. It's actually quite a big room, there are no other doors,
Seems like you are the one who doesn't listen, visual flow in YOUR opinion you mean? I can assure you there is no right or wrong way so you can't pull him on that.

I

IanA2

Yes the floor is not perfect. The skirting could have been scribed to the floor too.
I think the op is fishing for someone to say it's rubbish, then they can go armed back to him and demand some discount.
Think what you like, there were numerous problems with this installation. The tiling is just one aspect. The reason I asked on here is not to arm me so I can demand discount. I will deal with the matter in the way I deem fit, I was merely interested to know if professional tilers thought that it was an acceptable level of workmanship as I clearly do not think it is. In general I would say that based on the response to this thread most do not think it was to a level a competent tiler would achieve.

Reply to Who Is Right in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB