Discuss Who's at fault?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

He's not a bully, just very upset , I think i would be too in his situation. I will speak to him tomorrow, and advise him to get a engineer to look at the problem, I will also say to him, that i stand by the advice I gave him, for preping the floor for the tiles, as it isn't the tiles, that have caused this problem imo. And that he should also speak to the kitchen company, and builders if he hasn't already. I will also make sure I'm present when any inspection takes place.

T

tfs

He's not a bully, just very upset , I think i would be too in his situation. I will speak to him tomorrow, and advise him to get a engineer to look at the problem, I will also say to him, that i stand by the advice I gave him, for preping the floor for the tiles, as it isn't the tiles, that have caused this problem imo. And that he should also speak to the kitchen company, and builders if he hasn't already. I will also make sure I'm present when any inspection takes place.

If it was me I would try and get a quick look before you all meet together to discuss. There may be an access hatch in the floor somewhere in the house and you could get into the crawl space in order to have a look under the floor to see what sort of support has been added (allows you to go into the meeting informed)

Obviously avoid crawling directly under the island area:lol:

C

cornish_crofter

Worst case scenario, you may just have to remove a small area of the ply from the joists and hence only a few tiles just to get access to underneath the island, or even remove the island and work on the floor area underneath. It wouldn't be a major job to build a solid pillar under it, or the other option would be to dig out, pour footings where the island is to go back then reinforce with a 4x2 structure. then you wouldn't have to rip the whole floor out ;)

R

Rob Z

Hi there Phil,

One thing to keep in mind is that they (the owner, the builder) can say all they want that it's your fault, but it's another thing for them to demonstrate this with solid engineering advice and analysis.

The builder might have over loaded the floor, over spanned the joists, the mechanical trades might have hacked up some joists...who knows until the structure is analyzed.

I agree with Pebbs that you should not spend your money defending yourself at this point. Let them make the first move and put their money on the line by hiring a professional engineer. All you can do is pop up some tiles to see if your coverage and bond was good.

Getting to the cause of all of this is outside the expertise of everyone here, the owner and the builder.

R

Rob Z

Gary knows about this one......but in the past few years, the Tile Council of North America has added in their handbook the disclaimer that says all structural issues and determinations for a structure's suitability for tile are to be made by others: engineers, architects, builder. The handbook explicitly states that the tile setter is not qualified and should not be consulted for these issues.

What do the tile trade authorities in the UK have to say about this topic?

T

Tenchman

I agree with Lynn & others, although tiles can be part of the architectural framework of a house,they are usually there for aesthetic reasons not as part of the structural framework.
As such any surface you tile on is something that you need to be satisfied will accept the weight of your work. e.g. loadbearing on a wall that is mechanically fixed can accept more weight than a non -mecanically fixed board.

Same with floors but your responsibilty does not extend to working out the weight loads for a granite topped kitchen units and islands.

You may be getting panicked into an unwise move = admitting responsibilty for something that isn't your fault.
Stand your ground tell them yes you can see that the tiles are cracked , however it takes a hell of a lot of stress somewhere like 10,000 newtons per sq inch to make a tile split sideways , if the floor has dropped it is less .

if the client gets a structural engineer in ( at their expense not yours) he will be able to tell if the cracks are caused by a drop in the floor caused by too much weight and not enough support. or if the floor has shifted sideways again caused by pressure splaying the supports.

Hold firm and don't panic the client is trying to cause you to accept blame which is rubbish. you are applying a cosmetic finish to a structure which is not your responsibility that is down to the builder.

Good luck but hold firm chhers Steve

As my problem is now been going on a while, i thought i would update you all.

Spoke to the customer next day, said i would come and remove the tiles, cut inspection holes in ply and have a look at whats been done underneath, and for him to inform the builders, and maybe get a structual enhgineer to look at it. That was a no on all accounts

Then he said, were the tiles fitted correctly, was the adhesive mixed properly, and he is a engineer, (he works for areospace) and he couldn't see how the island could cause a crack, in the conservatory nearly 2.5m away. Also there would be no point speaking to the builders, as they would say they done everything right.

I then said, that i could not see any point in taking up the tiles, and replacing them, without finding out the cause of the cracks.
To that he got a bit grumpy, saying well if you dont want to remove the tiles....

We ended up agreeing to take up the tiles, and if they were not fitted correctly, then i would hold my hands up, fair enough i said, as long as he is present at the time, so we have arranged that on wednesday this week the tiles will come up

He then phoned me at the weekend, saying the cracks seem to be lined up where joints in the ply could be, I said i thought that, but the joints are supported with the extra noggins i told you to have fitted, then he tried to tell me that i said, that extra noggins weren't needed in the conservory, what b*******, no way did i say that, and put the phone down on him.

Then today i get a email, saying the floor as now cracked all the way across in the conservatory, and would i agree to a meeting on site with
the builders there, and that they will cut holes so that i can view under the floor with a inspection mirror.

Hopefully now we can get to the root of the problem., and i'll let you know how it goes on wednesday.

Reply to Who's at fault?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone.....im new to the forum and I'm looking for some help and advice please. I tiled a...
Replies
Views
D
Hi Thanks to all who provided advice on my bathroom project 3 years ago, tiling both the...
Replies
Views
swanman
S
Got a 27mq porcelain floor to do, and was wondering if this spec sounds ok. 18Mmm chipboard...
Replies
Views
It is my intension to install a "between the joist" wet UFCH system with 18mm T&G ply 330mm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Poynton, cheshire

Thread Information

Title
Who's at fault??
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.