Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Why chase for contracts when you havent got a hope in hell of getting them? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

I thought things were getting better on the works front. I have enough work to carry us through for a while yet, and have been flooded with quotes for the past few weeks. Well you know what thought did.

Two clients sent me through drawings for the same project, this happens sometimes, they both get the same prices no matter what the relationship is with them. The job is for Gordon Ramseys new eating place at One New Change, quite a nice contract, toilet fit out, reception, kitchen and back of house. One of the tile suppliers specified rang me back today, and said Lynn do you know how many stone companies are tendering for this job...I say 6? she said no 17 enquires so far! So what chance do I have of getting this contract...I would estimate NO CHANCE! tomorrow, Im ringing both clients and telling them its a no quote from us. The outcome will be this...at the end of the day they will go for the cheapest, and that wont be us, I cant compete with firms paying their lads £10m2 for ceramics, and as little as possible for the stone works.

Sign of the times I guess.

Lynn

C

Colour Republic

You know that game better than me but from past experiance cost isn't always a factor if you can keep certain promises. The main contractors know that if it falls behind because of some **** up by an in-experianced firm it's going to cost them dear by having to throw money at it. I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to tell Gordon Ramsey he'll have to cancel the opening night

S

Spud

its a lot of work putting a price together and if its 2 main contractors sending you the drawings they havent been awarded the job yet ,when i get drawings from the estimation department of any contractor I normally bin them ,they dont award the work and only use your price as a guide price for the main contract tender, once they have the work and the q.s sends me drawings then i am interested and will put the effort in pricing the job spec and also offer value options :thumbsup:

Reply to Why chase for contracts when you havent got a hope in hell of getting them? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

K
Hello, I am new to this site and seeking some advice on the tiling in our new bathroom. We are...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T
E
So I'm having trouble with a customer relating to grout (Bal Micromax) I have tiled 70 sq...
2 3 4 5 6
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
M
Had an bust up/argument with tiler today. Usually use someone else but this guy came recommended...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
R
well client came in a develper and film star telling me how well his builder was doing every...
Replies
Views
Perfect Tiling
P

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Why chase for contracts when you havent got a hope in hell of getting them?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.