UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Why not be a Plumber .? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Polishtradesman

And why you think compression can fail? Ok maybe you just wanted to write something. I tell you what. I have used metal compression many times and it was alweys ok. I am not sure about as you called it "illegal place" but i 100% sure metal compression are safe. You can check it in many places. Can you recognize it http://www.h-i-e.co.uk/plumbing_direct//ChromeisoValve.jpg it is compression and this valve is fixed this way and it never fails!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Muse2k8

Compression fittings can only be used in an accessible location (because they can and do fail) and as with any mechanical joint a compression can fail, wether this is your jointing compound wearing, olive splitting, over or under compression...

I didn't feel the need to "write something" it's called "being a plumber".

And £100 - £150 for tools? I'm presuming your meaning simple things such as for connecting wastes and flexible tap connectors? My torch and pipe bender alone cost more than that!

P

Polishtradesman

Ok, i see what you mean but i need to check it twice becouse i have seen many places where plumer fix plastic instalation and these joints are always covered, in my opinion there are less safe then metal compression joints but manufactures recomment them to do water instalations anyway f.e. PEX pipes. I do not really know how compression can fail, i have never crossed with that. As I said to do simple plumber fix in bathroom you dont need lot of tools, I do it on my own and it is always success.

M

Muse2k8

I wasnt arguing ;) compressions are less likely to fail if done properly so at least if you haven't had any problems your doing them right.

Surprisingly a plastic push fit is very reliable if connected properly but still has a factor of failure. Underfloor etc I always use a soldered joint but when connecting taps, pans etc I use compressions and always an isolator valve on the toilet as its required by building regulations.

W

White Room

Ok, i see what you mean but i need to check it twice becouse i have seen many places where plumer fix plastic instalation and these joints are always covered, in my opinion there are less safe then metal compression joints but manufactures recomment them to do water instalations anyway f.e. PEX pipes. I do not really know how compression can fail, i have never crossed with that. As I said to do simple plumber fix in bathroom you dont need lot of tools, I do it on my own and it is always success.

It can if the nut is over tightened and crushes the olive...

P

Polishtradesman

Ok, I meant how compression joint can fail if it is fixed properly. I know that if i screw too much olive can be crashed but you can see it doing first test. My questions are: How compression can fail after proper fitting ( I guess water under pressure which is in water instalations can not penetrate the brass)?? Where can I find regulation that compression is illegal in any places??

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Muse2k8

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/1148/schedule/2/paragraph/7/made

If your interested then check out the WRAS website at www.wras.co.uk

Compression joints can fail under movement and flexing. Due to the way they are sealed, a compression joint is designed to remain static and rigid. However as pipes are prone to movement, water hammer etc this can cause the internal seal to become compromised hence resulting in the compression failing.

When your next taking one out try grabbing hold of it and moving the pipe about and see.

P

Polishtradesman

Thanks for links you sent. I do solventing copper pipes and usually do it when i do plumber. However even if i fix plastic pipes i use metal compression (always with pipe inserts) as i see this method more safe than the regular plastic joints, in this case it is cover by partition walls etc. I am going to read all these regulation just to got wise knowladge but i still think water instaltions are easy to do and every bathroom maker should be able to do it.

G

Gazebo

Compression fittings can only be used in an accessible location (because they can and do fail) and as with any mechanical joint a compression can fail, wether this is your jointing compound wearing, olive splitting, over or under compression...

I didn't feel the need to "write something" it's called "being a plumber".

And £100 - £150 for tools? I'm presuming your meaning simple things such as for connecting wastes and flexible tap connectors? My torch and pipe bender alone cost more than that!

I'm with you all the way on this.

But you can see why trades get bad names for themselves with the likes of others saying its easy all you need is a compression fitting and £100 tools.

Good luck to you mr Polishtradesmen.....hope you have liability insurance.

G

Gazebo

Thanks for links you sent. I do solventing copper pipes and usually do it when i do plumber. However even if i fix plastic pipes i use metal compression (always with pipe inserts) as i see this method more safe than the regular plastic joints, in this case it is cover by partition walls etc. I am going to read all these regulation just to got wise knowladge but i still think water instaltions are easy to do and every bathroom maker should be able to do it.

I think you mean soldering copper pipes. and you use compression fittings onto pushfit pipe.????

I wonder why John Guest, Hep20 and Polypipe etc bother to make fittings if you think they don't work....

M

Muse2k8

ptfe on olives.????

why not jointing compound.???

Tru-Blu is best :) but if you only have ptfe to hand it works a treat too. I was trying to keep it simple lol.

But yeah I agree with you above about damaging other trades saying its easy and with £100 of tools and compressions your good to go. It's like saying stick a tile in the corner and start from there and just use tubbed addy with a spreader from b&q for £3.

Probably why I went off on one ;)

P

Polishtradesman

I'm with you all the way on this.

But you can see why trades get bad names for themselves with the likes of others saying its easy all you need is a compression fitting and £100 tools.

Good luck to you mr Polishtradesmen.....hope you have liability insurance.

You did not understeand what i said. To do simple bathroom plumb, i dont need to hire plumber, that why my job is faster and cheaper but day rate is still high. On the beggining you need flamer (can be even for 15 pounds still is possible to solvent a joint, blanket 10 pounds, two spaners 40 pounds, pipe cutter 15 pounds) if you not sure your solventing skills use joints which got solvent inside it is so easy to do !!!! About compression, yes i use them if i think it it safe and for me it is safe esspecially if pipe sre fitted on clips and there are not moving. I see nothing wrong with compression joints below bath or for pump connection. I know thaty plastic system are recommented by menufactures to do water instalations but i use metal compression as i think it is better. What is wrong with that???? Stop writing i give trade a bad name as my job never fails!!

G

Gazebo

You did not understeand what i said. To do simple bathroom plumb, i dont need to hire plumber, that why my job is faster and cheaper but day rate is still high. On the beggining you need flamer (can be even for 15 pounds still is possible to solvent a joint, blanket 10 pounds, two spaners 40 pounds, pipe cutter 15 pounds) if you not sure your solventing skills use joints which got solvent inside it is so easy to do !!!! About compression, yes i use them if i think it it safe and for me it is safe esspecially if pipe sre fitted on clips and there are not moving. I see nothing wrong with compression joints below bath or for pump connection. I know thaty plastic system are recommented by menufactures to do water instalations but i use metal compression as i think it is better. What is wrong with that???? Stop writing i give trade a bad name as my job never fails!!

OMG you are fitting shower pumps..............................

Reply to Why not be a Plumber .? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

This is the Plumbers Forums is now Plumbers Talk Discussion Thread As always; a simple ‘logo’...
Replies
Views
Our Plumbers Forum is now on a new domain. www.PlumbersTalk.net is now online. We've...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.