Discuss Window dilemma! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

granthathaway

I have only just noticed an "error" i have made after tiling my bathroom (of which i did a bloody good job - except for this slight oversight!) I was cleaning the bathroom window yesterday when, to my horror, realised that i haven't tiled the underside of the window recess (opposite to the sill) This is bugging the hell out of me now and i was wondering if anyone had any advice of how to remedy this. I have no problem removing a few tiles and adhesive, putting a new trim in/on, and re-tiling, but i was wondering if there was any other way of fixing this problem? Cheers

G

granthathaway

image[1].jpg image[2].jpg image[3].jpg image[4].jpg

tiles are 7mm U-Stone tiles and the bed depth of the adhesive is approx 3-5mm

B

bugs183

Ooopsy, don't worry we all have our moments, i'm a wotsit for forgetting window reveals.
Unfortunetly you would have to remove your tiles from above the window, and retrim the tiletrim on the vertical sides of the tiling. It's not a huge job, but would be a bit of a pain.
If you're feeling lazy (and a tiler wouldn't really do this) you could grout in the trims and cuts, sand the plaster and paint the window head!!! Naughty but i bet no one but a tiler would notice.

Q

Qwerty

Oh!

As much as it bugs me, I will keep my reply on topic and will keep my response to your question only ..... My suggestion is that you have a few choices and this can be remedied albeit each one will be noticeable because you now have the top tiles cut to the trim which is flush with the header. These are in no order by the way!

1- Paint it a colour similar to the tiles, then if you wanted you could always "mask off" fake grout joints and paint these the same colour as the grout?
2- Fix tiles but use another piece of trim to start the leading edge. This will create a step though whether you use a rounded or square edge trim
3- Start again!

Q

Qwerty

If the window header is plaster/plasterboard, chop it back to the brick/block/lintel and that should give you enough room to fix a tile directly to the brick/block/lintel. Essentially, replace the plaster with a tile, you shouldn't have to make any alterations to tiles or trims if this is possible.

Agree this is definitely a worthy option if you are able to do it. But looking at the amount of UPVC frame visible at the top, it looks as if you are close to the maximum already.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Window dilemma! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have just ripped out my old bathroom and refitted it with new beige porcelain tiles. I grouted...
Replies
Views
Dazzer
D
We’ve just had our bathroom finished yesterday and we are really disappointed with the finish of...
Replies
Views
A
    • Agree
    • Dislike
Our kitchen fitter has done a lovely job overall but we are disappointed with the finish around...
Replies
Views
Removed old tiles in a bathroom. New 60x30 porcs to go on. Plaster skim came off with odd...
Replies
Views
Waluigi
W
I wonder if any one can give me some advice. I live in a fairly new build house that was built 8...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB