Discuss your first ever car. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
A shed of a T reg Fiesta. Footwell carpet would smoke and smoulder if pushed to 70mph.
Winnie wiper stalk missing but learnt that making a metal contact would make them work so I
always had a little 'thimble' of tin foil on my little finger if it looked cloudy.
Could also unlock it with my thumb nail.
First car so still loved it.

R

Rob Z

Ha! I just remembered...the first car I bought completely with my own money and without checking first with Dad for advice...was a '76 Dodge Charger. We got drunk after work and one of the guys sold it to me for $400 ( a lot because I was only making $4 an hour).

I got it registered but couldn't get it through inspection. I drove it for a while, risking getting a ticket. My parents came to visit and my Dad was a bit angry that I had wasted my money on a junker. My Mom eventually got him to quit harassing me because she reminded him of the car that he bought when they were in college "Bob, your car in 1960 didn't even run. At least Rob's car can start and drive down the road".:lol:

I ended up selling it to some serious rednecks for $150 and considered myself lucky to get out of it with only losing $250, plus another hundred or so for taxes, title and registration.

R

Rob Z

Hi Sandy......I never thought about it that way, but yes. At least every few years substantial changes were made, maybe only for marketing purposes. Cars nowadays don't seem to inspire the same emotions that the old ones did. Guys from my generation and my Dad's generation can ID cars to within a model year or two, even if they've never driven or ridden in that model.

Now, I honestly couldn't tell the difference between any car unless I saw the emblem on the vehicle.

D

Deleted member 9966

I used to be able to guess a make and model of car just by looking at a headlight assembly on the front corner of the car. this came with years of practice of walking home from school the same way my dad would drive home from work. it helped me to keep looking at the traffic approaching behind me and have a rough idea if it was my dad stopping at the side of the road to pick me up :grin:

I can still do it to some extent now, but too many cars look "samey" nowadays.

D

doit4u

Showing my age here. First transport when I was 16 a 125cc BSA Bantam bought from a guy who worked in the local butchers for 13 pound 10 shillings.

Next was an Isetta three wheel bubble car. No reverse gear so if you wanted to reverse into a parking space you had to make sure you were facing up hill, towards the end the wiper motor didn't work so as the mechanism wasn't covered used to work it by hand, or get the passenger to do it. Also the door lock failed so undid the handle and used to take it with me.

My first 4 wheeled vehicle was a Morris 1000. I bought it off my Dad when he was buying a new one. Apart from normal replecement bits like tyres and servicing the only things ever replaced in 96,000 miles were two seized brake cylinders and a broken fan blade, but I did get keen on that one and replaced the water pump as well as it was a bit wobbly on the shaft. Had the car for four years and took it to Norway for a year when working there. My dad let me have it for £200, £40 less than he was offered as a trade in to make sure I didn't waste my money on an unknown car. Sold it for £195 and had them queing up for it.

D

Daz

My first 4 wheeled vehicle was an ex telecom van which my Dad sold to me for £50.

vehicle_02.jpg

I later got a company car.....

stock13a.jpg

Happy days :thumbsup:.

Daz

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to your first ever car. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
I
Just wondered if anyone had any pics of their first car, or any cars you've had since you passed...
Replies
Views
Fliselege
F
D
How to drill a hole in a steel bath. At 365Drills we provide either the equipment you need or...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
E
I receive this i-mail for one job: Work Friday-Monday Eduardo, Work for tomorrow...
Replies
Views
F
Went to a vintage car rally tonight and you know the years are rolling by when your first car is...
2 3
Replies
Views
Deleted member 9966
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Andy Allen

Esteemed
Arms
TF
Gloucester

Thread Information

Title
your first ever car.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.