Discuss You've gotta laugh in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MTiler

I dont find estimating easy and try to give a fair price. If the job involves various elements then the price increases accordingly.
But when I was told the guy who got the job went in at HALF my price I had to laugh and thought whats the point of trying to work everything out?:mad2:
When the customer said he'd was getting other quotes I was very tempted to ask if any of the others were Eastern Europeans (there is a very large EE community where I live) because if they were there'd be no point in me doing a quote, but thought that might've been unPC.
Youve gotta laugh:lol:

missyT

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
personally i feel its getting worse regarding pricing

i have priced so many jobs in the last few weeks and most have gone elsewhere to be honest

lots wanting money knocked off,so i came and went with them and met them halfway
still to be told a few days later they got other quotes cheaper..basically they are driving the prices down
its really hacking me off now

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
Madness.
If working local i price at 100 / 120 gross. Labour only.Thats 8 to 10 hours on site.Simple layout/ceramics. One customer said "thats a bit steep,ive got a mate...blah blah blah. I think you get the picture. How low can you go.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
This is a cut and paste of some emails with acustomer after site visit and quote. This is typical lately:

Me: Hi xxxxxxx,

Sorry for delay in getting back to you, first email must be floating about in cyber space somewhere!
Back from Spain and got your texts.

Labour: Fix and grout approx 16m2 of 100mmx100mm ceramic tiles - 3 colours/random pattern above kitchen worktops and remaining walls.
1 Window cill, 11 sockets and switches, 2 radiators and 2 door returns.

Materials: Adhesive, Trim, grout and silicone in a colour of your choice.

Total cost of labour and materials £650

Kind regards
Nick

Customer: Hi Nick,

Sorry its taken me a while to get back to you. Just trying to work out my finances at the moment as i only earn £1,097 a month at xxxxx and my rent and mortgage are £620 a month then i have my bills on top so it doesn't leave me much spare. Got my mot and insurance in September which will cost me nearly £2,000... Long story! When were.you looking to be able to come and.do it? Any chance you can.do it any cheaper? Had a quote for £565 and one for £590

Me: Hi xxxxxxxx,

I've had to increase my labour charge to cover the cost of diesel as I am no longer local to Derby.
Unfortunately I can't go any cheaper but would accept £400 on completion with the remaining balance
of £250 to be paid after 1 calender month.
If this makes it feasable then just let me know when would be a good time and I'll try to sort it.

Kind regards

Customer: Hi Nick,

Sorry again for late reply. I don't have tv or internet in my new house, so can only access email via my mobile and it's not always easy to write an email as it uses the little data allowance that I have!

I have just paid my car insurance and have my MOT coming up so I have more of an idea now of how much cash I have left after bills etc. Would have likedto have gotten TV as I am going insane being able to watch only DVDs lol ... but think that might be a way off as I can only get Sky in my area :-( And thats £40 minimum.

So - do I pay you in cash? I should be able to pay the £400 straight off on completion, so that sounds great. Don't suppose I can twist your arm a little and have me pay £200 the following month, saving me £50? Just frustrating as I hear very good reviews about yur work, so I know the job will done properly, but it means that I would have paid out £1,500 for my kitchen, which sounds silly! I have a number of people offering to do the job fo free and have quotes for a lot less, from people who are also not local (one is even from down south). Just trying to work out why your costs are as they are, lol. If you can knock anything off at all, that would be really apreciated. Struggling because I only just earn £1,000 a month at xxxxx so money is very very tight!

Me: Hi xxxxxxxxx,

I charge at the high end as my work is of a very high standard. Means I use the correct prep and materials and take my time to get it looking perfect. This is reflected in my pricing. I have still not needed to advertise as yet as I am always in demand from word of mouth, recommendations and repeat work so I must be doing something right!
Could maybe lose the £50 if you were to lower the height of the tiling up the walls. This would also mean even more unopened boxes of tiles to take back (best check with the store you got them from first though)

Best wishes

Customer: Hiya, will stick to the original design height etc. What kind/colour trim options do i have a choice from included in the £650? What kind of times are you able to come to do the job as i imagine it may take a few days and do you have an idea when you'll be free?

Cheers, xxxxxxx

Me: Hi xxxxxxxx,

We discussed leaving the top row free of trim to reduce cost and to use trim around the window above your sink and external corners of door reveals. Plastic trim in various colours are available but metal chrome trim looks best. It's quite a bit more pricey than the plastic but would be willing to supply it as per my quote. You can of course go plastic if you wish and from memory I would recommend a beige colour as a beige grout would probably marry best with the colour selection of your tiles.

Starting a bathroom tomorrow which will be completed by 9th Sep, I may be free week beginning 12th but am waiting on a call from a delayed bathroom job as to when I can start. This delayed job is a priority but if they don't get back to me soon (this week) then my conscience is clear to book other jobs in.

Cheers

Customer: Sounds great! It is actually chrome trim that i planned to have as i think its looks nicest and yes, i remember you saying about filling the tops of the tiles, otherwise i would need metres of the stuff! Let me know when you know you're available and hopefully we can arrange something soon

Got there in the end!!!
How odd to be given a run down of prospective customers' income and outgoings!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
The owner of the bathroom I'm tiling this week calls me 'Mr Tiler Man'.
'Hello Mr Tiler Man'
'errr Hi, my names Nick'
'Have you seen the Kitchen Mr Tiler Man?' (kitchen fitter in)
'Yes'
'It's nice isn't it Mr Tiler Man?'
'Yeah it's alright isn't it' (rough to be honest)
She corners me as she's leaving - 'Don't tell the kitchen fitter how much you're charging Mr Tiler Man'
'Goodbye Mr Tiler Man!'
'Have a good weekend Mrs Customer Woman'

She's called me Nick all day today!:hurray:

M

MTiler

After looking at your work Miss Tiler I wouldnt excpect you to be cheap either.

Get what you pay for imho, same problems up here also thats why I try and stick to subby work pricing the now would drive you mental!

It was the first domestic job I'd quoted on in a while having mainly done sub contract work lately, I may come round to your thinking Gall.
My pricing for domestic and commercial work are very different. My domestic prices arent expensive except when put them against a cheapo tiler.
Quoting for domestic work is more trouble than its worth.

missyT

D

Daz

There's a tiler local to me that is advertising his rates in the local press at £75 per day!!
The thing is, I'm picking up loads of his clients because he prices and wins the job and then never actually turns up???? He never calls or accepts calls from these clients and just disappears off their radar. He's spending a wedge load on the advertising but not doing himself or his customers justice. Still it's getting me loads of work :lol::lol:.

G

Gall.B

It was the first domestic job I'd quoted on in a while having mainly done sub contract work lately, I may come round to your thinking Gall.
My pricing for domestic and commercial work are very different. My domestic prices arent expensive except when put them against a cheapo tiler.
Quoting for domestic work is more trouble than its worth.

missyT

Lots of tubes out there willing to do it for next to nothing!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to You've gotta laugh in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
I would really appreciate some advice from those who know more about tiling than myself. We had...
Replies
Views
Don White
D
O
I received my copy of TSJ today. Some of you will be aware that I personally "have issue" with...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T
C
I'm almost lost for words!!!!! Last weekend I went to see a potential customer about some...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
You've gotta laugh
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.