Search the forum,

Discuss Mates rates in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 9966

No you're not being unreasonable Neale. tell him how you want to do the job and the price you'll charge for that job. end of discussion because you've explained the finer points to him before. maybe you have to be blunt now.

T

tfs

If it was my mate, I would let him know that I wanted to do it right for him and esnure that he gets the best finnish possible and to do this requires removal of the pan etc. Cutting round that with backer board and with tiles at 45 degree will take more time when pan is installled and compromises finnish. You may not even get full tiles to fit around a toilet without spliting them etc.

If he knows how passionate you are about doing the job to the highest standard etc then he will know what to expect from now on.

The fact the you are going to be putting great effort and thought into the layout makes it even more different than just firing down some tiles.

stick to your guns mate! unless you are happy enough to work the way he preffers. If you are giving him a reduced mates rate then your price should beat any reputable tilers quote I reckon.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I see it like this. There are a few mates I'd do the job for nowt for, as they'd do the same for me. Though then there are mates (pub aquaintants) that if they want the job done they'd have to pay normal price. And when they say why? I say, well, you're my mate aren't you so wouldn't you want to give me the work? Left with them if they take it and most would.

A mate should be willing to pay you what the job's worth. And they're always welcome to see what you're charging is fair. You can give 'em all the "can you justs..." for free perhaps which is Going the Extra Mile (GEMing them).

I have a mechanic mate, I do his website FOC, he does my servicing and MOT's FOC (parts only). Win:win. But if he didn't have anything to offer me I wouldn't mind doing his website FOC or tiling FOC but he'd need to give me a hand.

C

Colour Republic

10 full tiles - 16 cuts - then mosaic in an area you can't move in. I'd charge him 3 days for being a pain

If somebody questions the price I would say, fine let's see if we can do something in your budget... "How about vinyl tiles Sir?"

B

bootsmckiber

Your friends should respect you enough for your knowledge in the trade not to question you and should also realize that as a friend you're giving him a reasonable price not ripping him off,just because he's a freind it doesn't make bread and butter any cheaper.If he doesn't understand the time issue of prep work,take the price you have in mind for two days work divide it by 16 hours then tell him"okay,we'll do it this way instead,forget the $400:00 for two days work,my hourly wage is $35:00 an hour.That way 35x16=$560:00 so you come out ahead and he thinks he's paying you by the hour not the job.Or say,"my hourly rate is $35:00 per hour ,but since you're a friend I'll do it for $25:00 that way it's the same price as the 2 day job rate plus if you happen to take longer you still get your extra money.

C

cornish_crofter

I started on mates rates for all our friends.

As time goes on you realise who will repay the favour. Some very good friends of ours were getting a fixed discount on my hourly rate. She ran a business selling custom embroidered clothing - with company logo etc on it.

Bearing in mind that they were getting the friends' rate, I was rather suprised when she didn't take the opportunity to reciprocate with her prices when I enquired about some T shirts.

The friends' rate was 'phased out' in their case. They're still good customers of mine and they are still good friends.

A completely different example - one of my friends is a Quantity Surveyor and sometimes helps me with pricing and contacts on jobs. His house is often needing little jobs. One such example was changing bath taps. His plumber had let him down but he had bought the taps. So one day I went and fitted them for him. For little jobs in his case I simply charge materials. I fitted his taps in a spare hour I had. Another time I unblocked his drain. However he has helped me in pricing for UPVC fascia jobs and a couple of other areas where I didn't have the experience at the time - all FOC.

It's unusual when a reciprocal arrangement works well, but when it does, it works very well.

D

Davesax

A proper mate will trust you enough to just let you get on with it and trust your judgement .
If this isn't the case , charge him what you'd normally charge - simple.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If tiling was your hobby and you were doing it for pocket money then mates rates are fine but when it is your profession and your living you have to apply different rules. if he is not happy to pay you the going rate then walk away in my opinion. I often get asked to sort out cheap prices for mates for screeds and concretes. If I can do it without detriment to myself then fine - if not sorry folks its full price or no delivery.......

H

hillhead

Most of my mates are well enough off for normal rates.
I make no difference, mind you rates are bad here anyway.

Reply to Mates rates in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen