Search the forum,

Discuss Mates rates in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

One of my mates who is the IT game has had me do some tiling for him in the past on a number of jobs. Everytime he always want diamond set and borders. It is never simple with him. Well he has just moved house again and wants some work done. 1st job is a small bathroom floor. Its only about 3m2 but he wants travertine with a glass mosaic border. The travertine is 12mm and the mosaic is 7.5mm. The floor is a chipboard floor so I have said it needs backerboard as its solid. I also need to back up the difference in heioght between the 2 types of tile. Now I can either fill the difference where the mosaic will be going with adhesive and use the notched out piece of wood method or make the height with backerboard....anyway , either way its extra work. All he sees is its about 3m2 and should take me no time at all. Further more he wants me to cut around pan and pedestal and doesnt want them removed....so that would be more work.
I have explained all the issues and stated that all in it would take the best part of 2 days but that would include removing pan and pedestal ( unless there were other issues)
Now do you think I am being unreasonable ? I know its only a small job but I think to do it right then it will be over the one day he is expecting. Of course I am asking 2 days money and his point is that I tiled a kitchen floor for him last year and that it was 12m2 and I got it all done in one day...but it was fairly easy.
Anyway here is a sketch of what he wants, bare in mind that there is a pan and ped in there too and notice the whole bathroom is at an angle !!!!
L bathroom.jpg

pencil.png

M

Mike

i'd want the pan and pedestal out first and give him a price for the job, if he's not happy let him find somebody else. you'll be cutting your own throat by doing it too cheap, it's your livelihood. i have to charge my mates normal rate, unless it's a little job which i can do in the evening

G

Gazzer

Oh I have already told him to get more quotes. I am quite happy that anyone will need more than a day.
Taking pan etc out could take an hour depending on how they are fixed.
Then the backer boards need fixing. Thats all before a tile is laid.
Its coloured grout too and even with rapid set adhesives I like an overnight drying before grouting.

Reaction score
All he sees is its about 3m2 and should take me no time at all.

Its doing my head'in recently from potential customers telling me how small the job is, how easy it is, its only a few cuts, shouldn't take you long etc...

I think usually its just a ploy to for them to get the upper hand in telling you what timescales/price they're expecting.. even though it it was that easy, they'd be doing it themselves.

but back to your mate! i'd allow 2 days & def remove the loo & sink, looks a lot nicer, easier cuts etc. I never enjoy cutting round toilets myself

M

Max@ableskills

Some people have not got a clue. There is a lot of work involved with this job. Two days is fair. Just because it's a small area does not make the job easy.

S

Stewart

I always charge full price for friends and family and I never give discount....... They are treated like any other customer and are more than welcome to get other quotes to see what's involved in the job.

I

Ian

I'm a bit like that now Stewart. I have mates who are brickies, plumbers, roofers, plasterers etc, and have done work for them in the past in exchange for them doing work on my home and surprise surprise, they're too busy to return the favour when its their turn. Very frustrating.

D

doug boardley

same here Brian. I just ask them now, "Would you go off to work and give me a chunk of your wages?? No?, well that's what you're asking me to do!"

G

Gazzer

I'm a bit like that now Stewart. I have mates who are brickies, plumbers, roofers, plasterers etc, and have done work for them in the past in exchange for them doing work on my home and surprise surprise, they're too busy to return the favour when its their turn. Very frustrating.

Hmmm so its not just me that has happened too then. This guy is the same but then I dont have much need for an IT guy.

D

Deleted member 9966

No you're not being unreasonable Neale. tell him how you want to do the job and the price you'll charge for that job. end of discussion because you've explained the finer points to him before. maybe you have to be blunt now.

T

tfs

If it was my mate, I would let him know that I wanted to do it right for him and esnure that he gets the best finnish possible and to do this requires removal of the pan etc. Cutting round that with backer board and with tiles at 45 degree will take more time when pan is installled and compromises finnish. You may not even get full tiles to fit around a toilet without spliting them etc.

If he knows how passionate you are about doing the job to the highest standard etc then he will know what to expect from now on.

The fact the you are going to be putting great effort and thought into the layout makes it even more different than just firing down some tiles.

stick to your guns mate! unless you are happy enough to work the way he preffers. If you are giving him a reduced mates rate then your price should beat any reputable tilers quote I reckon.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I see it like this. There are a few mates I'd do the job for nowt for, as they'd do the same for me. Though then there are mates (pub aquaintants) that if they want the job done they'd have to pay normal price. And when they say why? I say, well, you're my mate aren't you so wouldn't you want to give me the work? Left with them if they take it and most would.

A mate should be willing to pay you what the job's worth. And they're always welcome to see what you're charging is fair. You can give 'em all the "can you justs..." for free perhaps which is Going the Extra Mile (GEMing them).

I have a mechanic mate, I do his website FOC, he does my servicing and MOT's FOC (parts only). Win:win. But if he didn't have anything to offer me I wouldn't mind doing his website FOC or tiling FOC but he'd need to give me a hand.

C

Colour Republic

10 full tiles - 16 cuts - then mosaic in an area you can't move in. I'd charge him 3 days for being a pain

If somebody questions the price I would say, fine let's see if we can do something in your budget... "How about vinyl tiles Sir?"

B

bootsmckiber

Your friends should respect you enough for your knowledge in the trade not to question you and should also realize that as a friend you're giving him a reasonable price not ripping him off,just because he's a freind it doesn't make bread and butter any cheaper.If he doesn't understand the time issue of prep work,take the price you have in mind for two days work divide it by 16 hours then tell him"okay,we'll do it this way instead,forget the $400:00 for two days work,my hourly wage is $35:00 an hour.That way 35x16=$560:00 so you come out ahead and he thinks he's paying you by the hour not the job.Or say,"my hourly rate is $35:00 per hour ,but since you're a friend I'll do it for $25:00 that way it's the same price as the 2 day job rate plus if you happen to take longer you still get your extra money.

Reply to Mates rates in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen