Search the forum,

Discuss Tilers labourer/trainee tiler in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

shane176

Hi im looking to work with a pro in the tiling industry, who can take me on as his/hers labourer/trainee!
im from harrow middlesex

ive been to college on a 6 week course, and went out working with a local tiler for 1 year, but he had to let me go as he ran dry of work.
whilst working with him i was

-Loading and unloading the van
-setting out the area that needed to be tiled eg prep,and measuring out
-mixing up
-laying the tiles
-grouting
-cleaning up
-sometimes sealing pourous natural stone tiles
-sometimes dealing with the customers
-making wicked cups of tea

I enjoyed the whole lot and want to get back in doing the trade,

im 20 years old, english, very hard working, and willing to learn,
if you would like to see my c.v i can e-mail to you, also if you want i can show you some pics of the work ive done by my self.

Thanks for reading this post
you can email me or phone 07809881333/07903850011
my name is shane

D

Dave Ramsden

Bets of luck with that mate!

Being able to make a decent cuppa is always a good selling point!

You not thought about maybe starting on your own nice and slowly???

T

tile55

Hi Shane,
Although I've used a couple of trainees before, I am not too sure that I will use another trainee for the near future.
I am more than happy to give you all the help and advice that you need. It is a very difficult trading period at the moment so it will be quite hard fo find anyone willing to take you on as an apprentice, as Dave says, have you thought about doing your own thing.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, and you're welcome to give me a call.

Mark 07869111048

Last edited by a moderator:
S

shane176

cheerz mark, did u have a bad experience with your previous trainees?

i have conciderd starting on my own but dont feel to confident working solo at the moment, just need a bit more experience to boost my confidents.

thanks for the post appreciate what your saying..
many thanks
shane:8:(top bloke)

G

graham31

i have conciderd starting on my own but dont feel to confident working solo at the moment, just need a bit more experience to boost my confidents.

many thanks
Hi by the sounds of things you have more experience than some who start out on their own.Confidence will only come with dealing with customers and doing your own jobs and having no one their to hold your hand.Take on jobs you are comfortable at doing and take it slow and steadily work up to bigger and better jobs.
This forum is a great help if you get stuck ask questions and i'm sure someone will have the answer.

Take the bull by the horns and go for it,especially if you have no ties like bills and such stuff.

Good luck

T

tile55

Not so much as a bad experience, one of the guys was 40 years old and I thought that I would give him a break - he didn't appreciate it. This was through a job agency.
He wasn't as keen to work as I thought he would be.
The other guy was at college for 2 days, and working with me for 3 days, he was 18 and very enthusiastic at first, he was with me for about 2 months, then he just disapeared, tried to contact him and he wouldn't answer his phone.:beatdeadhorse5:
Life goes on...........back to business

Don't worry about lack of confidence, everyone goes through it, If you don't try you will never know. Confidence only comes with experience the more tiling and meeting people you do, the easier it becomes.:santa_cheesy:

D

david campbell

Hi by the sounds of things you have more experience than some who start out on their own.Confidence will only come with dealing with customers and doing your own jobs and having no one their to hold your hand.Take on jobs you are comfortable at doing and take it slow and steadily work up to bigger and better jobs.
This forum is a great help if you get stuck ask questions and i'm sure someone will have the answer.

Take the bull by the horns and go for it,especially if you have no ties like bills and such stuff.

Good luck
dont beat about the bush graham tell him how it is!!!! lol

L

LM Ceramics

many thanks

shane if its your age your concerned about it doesnt matter im 20 and have been tiling for 4 years on and off i set up this year on my own and have had a regular flow off work still quite busy give it ago pal trust best thing i ever did and i let my work do the talking ive had no customers question me due to my age

L

LM Ceramics

i ve no bills and mortage im still at home which is a good thing once im more established then ill move out theres not as much pressure if you havent alot of work when ur still at home

C

cornish_crofter

Shane

Welcome to the forum! I started out as a DIYer a few years ago! I was very handy but had no real experience besides renovating a house from bare walls, a few bathroom refits in previous houses, and one kitchen.

I worked part time, and still do. I did one job, took my time and charged the customer to the quote, or if there was no quote, what he should have been charged, as opposed to how long the job actually took.

I found that people liked me because I was polite, methodical and didn't appear to want to rush the job. I got loads of repeat business.

You have one thing that I didn't have when I started - A TRADE! You have what it takes to get out there and do it.

S

shane176

cheerz cornish & LM
great words very much appreciated, kinda put me in the mood to start up on my own now,

thanks to every 1 else who posted their comments.

many thanks
shane!!!:8:

D

doug boardley

try easing your way in with kitchen splashbacks to boost youur confidence levels Shane,after doing a few you will probably feel ready to tackle the more problematic stuff. Don't be afraid to ask for advice,I'm not!!

P

peterhouse

im 49...hoping o do a tiling course soon, to work on part time basis,i would like to do one or two jobs with a experiened tiler , as assistant or observer,not looking to be paid. Had one or two offers but not in my area ( peterborough)so if u could help a mature student please let me know

Reply to Tilers labourer/trainee tiler in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen