Discuss 1000 x 1000 tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rj1884

Good afternoon.

Im after a bit of advice with regards to fixing tiles to shower formers and the best way to go about the lay out. I've done a few I but the one I'm due to do are using 1000x1000 porcelain. I know these size tiles aren't ideal for this kind of thing but the customer is adamant. The tray is 900x1400 and is the wedi dec type tray and sits left to right on the left side of the room, if that makes sense. The fall is from the 1400 length to a rectangle gulley towards the back of the tray which is about 400 to 500 in length.
Can anyone kindly advise me on how to approach this scenario please.
I will get some photos and post them.

Many thanks

R

rj1884

image.jpg

Not the best photo but hopefully gives you an idea

O

Old Mod

Well in a perfect world u would want a joint running along the underside of the screen, which I know u realise, and another joint on the entrance. Schluter do a shower profile which is triangular, this could form the transition between floor and shower deck, thin end at screen then dropping to drain side. Don't know whether Wedi do similar products.
Look at this
http://www.schluter.co.uk/media/553007Prospekt_Kerdi_Line__Duschvergnuegen_GB_0213.pdf
Page 16
Hopefully it'll help.

O

Old Mod

The last Wedi linear I did gave u the option of placing the drain against the wall or 50mm away. I'd place the drain against the wall then u'd only have to envelope it with two cuts, from opposite corners to the drain outer corners. The 400mm cut could be tipped in ever so slightly to create a fall inward, the main tile would take care of the rest. Your two envelope cuts would meet the joints with the rest of the floor.
The shower head is over the drain I assume and not at the 900 end?

R

rj1884

That's what I was thinking. Run my lines from the 4 corners of the drain to the corners of the tray. Would you with these size tiles centre the drain out of 1 tile. With a quick working out this would leave a cut of around 200mm either side running to the edge of the tray on the 1400 length which would not be ideal for the rest of the room. The 900mm side should be ok, if that makes sense. If not I'll try and do a diagram.

O

Old Mod

So I reckon this is how I'd deal with this tray.
1428f6e0a6c258063edf491e550adbba.jpg

The first full tile on the right that's half in the shower tray with the dotted line thro it I'd leave in one piece initially. (The triangle piece after u've enveloped it) Then place it in the tray packed up to the drain just to see how high the right side lifts off the level floor. Am I making sense?
If I thought the level was manageable I'd prob lift the 4-5 tiles around it to meet it, as it's only a few tiles. Then u'd have a slight fall outside of the shower entrance too.
If not I'd cut the 300 piece off and use some kind of profile to make the separation between floor and tray. For no other reason than aesthetic's even just a 2-3mm right angle profile rather than a grout joint. To me it then seems intentional as opposed to looking like a floor pieced together.
It's a shame with a bit more thought on their part it could have looked a lot better.
I'm sure others would approach it differently but I think that'd be my plan.

R

rj1884

Hi mate. I really do appreciate the drawing it helps a lot. I was thinking about running a grout line through the centre of the tray like you've done with the 700mm cuts either side but just wasn't sure about the 300mm excess which you've explained. From what you're saying, sit the tile to right centre of the drain in place but don't cut the 300mm overhang, see how high that part sits and if it's not to high then leave that tile whole and fit the rest to that with not profile just a normal grout joint. How ever if the levels are not ideal then cut the 300mm excess which in theory is where the tray meets the floor and put a profile in that cut instead of a grout joint.
Sorry if I've just copied what you've put just want to make sure I've got it right in my head.
Again many thanks.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 1000 x 1000 tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

S
As the replies I got to my previous setting out post were so helpful so I thought I'd ask for...
Replies
Views
Alphadock
A
B
Hi, New to the site, but been lurking for a while and I'm after a bit of advice about timber...
Replies
Views
J Sid
J
D
Hi all, (I have tried looking but could not find this subject covered in another thread, if I...
Replies
Views
JamesHardie
J
P
Hi all First post here so please be gentle! I am about to start on a refurb of our ensuite...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
S
Have this job to do in a new build house, concrete floor & I need to put in a preformed shower...
Replies
Views
S

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB