Discuss Wetroom tray envelope cut setting out challenge in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SB4U

Thanks for the vote of confidence mate and your good advice as always. Although I'm going to have to give this some thought I think. I can't say that I'm particularly happy about doing it this way if I'm perfectly honest.

I'd have to lift all 4 parts of the envelope to get them to line up properly which will be a faff I'm sure. One of the reasons for buying the former in the first place was to make tiling the fall easier. Plus we'd planned around that size of tray with regards to the shower and shower screen position. I didn't think about the tiles lining up when I bought it though annoyingly.

No doubt it would look better without all the cut tiles on the perimeter though.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Oi lay off him. He's my guru.

boxing-speed-bag-smiley-emoticon.gif

S

SB4U

Guys. I've cut the tiles and laid them out today (@3_fall you'll be interested to know that I followed your advice and went for the overhang on the surrounding tiles).

However, I've encountered a problem. I completely failed to take into account that I need a grout line between the halves of the diagonally cut tiles!

I've not cemented the tiles down yet, do you think that if I got a tile file I'd be able to shave enough off to get a grout line? Or is there another way you can suggest, that hopefully won't involve getting a table saw and cutting new tiles.

Steve

WP_20150917_20_49_48_Pro.jpg

O

Old Mod

Thanks @Plan Tec Tiling I'm so disappointed. I don't know why I didn't think about the grout line. What a fool. Oh well, I suppose I'd better buy a wet saw.

I was simply going to cut the corners off the half tiles for the drain using my manual cutter. I'd only laid the drain on the top for the photo.

Steve,
Geoff ^^^^^is absolutely right that is the best way forward.
U could hire a wet cutter, maybe for even half a day, rather than the expense of buying one.
Depending on how hard the tile is u could also scribe your cut line with a mechanical cutter then using a pair of tile nippers remove the offcut.
Then tidy up the edge with a carbarundum stone.
It's fiddly work, but it can be done, depends how confident you are.

You managed the transition between the floor and tray then without too much bother?
Are u pleased with the result?

S

SB4U

I looked at hiring one but it seemed pretty expensive. Plus I would need to hire a transformer too. Might be just as well to buy one and sell it on ebay afterwards. Although all the ones in Screwfix etc look pretty rubbish really.

Tile isn't very hard but I did try scribing a line and nibbling it last night but the result looked pretty awful. That said, I didn't tidy the edge with a stone.

I think doing the tray as per your suggestion was definitely the best way of doing it. Obviously I've only laid the tiles in place at the moment but I like the way it looks. Hopefully (when I get the cuts done) I'll be able to get them bedded down evenly.

S

SB4U

As always, thank you all for your advice and support. I've ended up buying a cheapo wet saw from Wickes and cutting them again. It was actually better than I thought it might be and seems to have done the trick. They're a bit chipped on the edges but I've used a stone on them to get the worst off and I'm satisfied enough with the finish now.

Now to cut out for the drain and cement em in place. Gulp.

Thanks again.
Steve

WP_20150919_11_44_52_Pro.jpg

Reply to Wetroom tray envelope cut setting out challenge in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm tiling the floor of a wetroom and would like some advice on the best way to lay the...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I am doing a shower tile installation on mold-resistant drywall and I am waterproofing with...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB