Discuss Advice needed please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Thatch

Hi all

I'm fairly new to the tiling trade...doing ok at the moment, done courses and got qualifications etc after being laid off in January from my old job.

My question is this.....when tiling a fairly (almost) flat surface, why do I seem to get lipping on a larger format tile (310mm x 550mm). I'll do a row of say four or five tiles all nice and flat then the next will be lipping at different points...is it a case of judgement? It's time consuming keep having to remove the tile and add or take some adhesive off the tile or wall! Like I say, i'm new to this and when things get frustrating while tiling it kinda knocks my confidence a bit!

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
when using large format tiles, put the face of the tile together and see if there bowed, this is becoming more common now the the market is becoming flooded with cheap imports, if they are bowed then it makes tiling brick bond a nightmare, so suggest to the customer stright bond or replacing the tiles, and always check your subtrate for flatness, what looks flat might not always be the case, i check every job with a stright edge when im quoting, that way i can show the customer if any prep work is needed prior to tiling.

D

DHTiling

try using a larger trowel, maybe the walls aren't as good as you think. try holding a tile on the wall (dry) in different places and see if it rocks. and as already said the tiles may be bowed

If the tiles are not bowed then this is your best option.. use a deeper trowel to cope with deviations...
Best way is to use a 2 mtr straight edge and check for dips in the wall.. fill any in to bring back flat with adhesive.. any bumps.. try to flatten them back..

M

Mike

Brilliant advice above, it could also be how you are spreading the adhesive on the wall, maybe you leave a ridge of adhesive here and there? Do you check the walls for flatness? As the guys have said above, check them with a straight edge, I cant remember the last time I saw a flat newly plastered wall :mad2:
nothing worse than looking at a job and the customer saying 'the walls are spot on, i've just had them skimmed over' :mad2:

R

Rich

A lesson learned!! What adhesive would you recommend? I had an Ardex demo at my course...seemed really good, but hard to get hold of??

It Will depend on your area, have a look round your local tile suppliers and have a chat with them to get an idea of prices. I use Mapei gear and rate it very highly, have a look through the link below to see if there is a Tile Giant near you. Also bare in mind if you use this site and gain entry to the TF arms you can get discounts on Mapei gear from Tile Giant :thumbsup:

[h=3]Mapei: Tile Giant Store Finder...[/h]

B

Bolter

A lesson learned!! What adhesive would you recommend? I had an Ardex demo at my course...seemed really good, but hard to get hold of??

Walls and Floors Tiles - Adhesives & Grouts - Bostik tiles -Bostik OFP Single Part White - 20 Kg

this stuff is a revalation! You can spread a good wall with a 6mm or 8mm trowel, and stick a 400sq tile on the wall with no slipping whatsoever. Its grab is unreal, long pot life etc. Really really good. Its pretty much all we use on the walls.

I can recommend Weber for floors. Very good adhesives.

T

Thatch

It Will depend on your area, have a look round your local tile suppliers and have a chat with them to get an idea of prices. I use Mapei gear and rate it very highly, have a look through the link below to see if there is a Tile Giant near you. Also bare in mind if you use this site and gain entry to the TF arms you can get discounts on Mapei gear from Tile Giant :thumbsup:

[h=3]Mapei: Tile Giant Store Finder...[/h]

Yeah the nearest one to me is Basildon, Essex. I'll pop in there soon and check out the range!

T

Thatch

Hi Guys, just started another job today using 250 X 330 ceramic tiles....i went right ahead and used a 10mm trowel and wow what an improvement! All tiles sitting flush with each other and NO LIPPING!! Hallalujah! ha ha! Still used the Ultragrip tubbed adhesive from N & C as i had some leftover from previous job. But very tempted to try the Mapei now everyone is recommending that. Thanks again for all your tips and advice.....tiling is much more easier and enjoyable now!

Reply to Advice needed please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Advice needed please!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.