Discuss Advice needed self levelling please :) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Anto Holland

I have found the levelling compounds that go upto 50mm do not run as well as the SLC that can be poured upto 30mm (my guess would be the manufacturers do not pulverise the ingredients into finer particles. So bigger particles do not run as well as the smaller ones). I use Mapei Reno screed everytime, as my supplier doesn't stock the Ultraplan ECO. And I always mix it just shy of the maximum amount of water recommended on the instuctions. Helps to flow, but not too much that it leaves a weak layer on the surface that needs to be sanded back.

If you want it mm perfect use the bays and runners method. Otherwise, I use my laser level to put a few 10mm sq mosaic tiles down on blobs of rapid set. They act as guide to run my 6ft feathered straight edge over, and can get the floor levelled to within british standards easily (3mm).

Avoid allowing air to blow over the poured SLC (so keep as many windows and doors closed as possible), as you do the pour. Once you finish the pour, open them up to allow moisture to disperse and evaporate. Also, shield it from direct sunlight, or it will set like a meringue when you put your spiked roller through it!! I also use an 18" bullnosed trowel to work it into the corners.

I also mix around 3-4 buckets at a time to get it down quicker. I also give each bucket a stir with my gauging trowel before pouring, to help air bubbles escape and to stop it from settling.

Allot of information there, thank you mate

Done a stock take a few weeks ago Paul..
47cc7d0e14df82357b98bb598860590c.jpg

487c5adff489dc746ad124e1da1a8a55.jpg

f69d9fde2dabcfd4c34c76ba19ea8bb8.jpg

Liking your storage Stef.
Do we have a thread for garages and tool sheds?

No worries, I'm getting out of tiling so just want to pass on what I have learnt!

Also, don't forget to prime the floor. Not only does it help bond to the sub-floor, but it stops moisture from being sucked out of the SLC allowing extra setting time for it to find it's own level!

*Like* to the info part

S

Stef

Do you buy your stuff from a supplier that gives you a discount for bulk purchace...

Usually stock up at CTD, my closest is 30 mile away & I hate running out of gear.
The TileMaster addy was courtesy of Pete when I was working for him at SuperDry, I split a pallet with him.
We don't have the same choice of adhesives up here as you guys have down south, bit of a bummer at times.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice needed self levelling please :) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
I’m nearly there with a bathroom tiling Project and managed to make it this far before getting...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB