UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Am I a crook? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Peter

Had a look at a bathroom this evening. About 23m to do in 600x300 and there were stud walls with adhesively slimmed flakey plasterboard, a crumbly window wall and a bath wall constructed with 9mm ply. Priced to reboard everything including a floor, tank, tile and supply all materials. The total cost came to £560 and she more or less told me to get out of her house because everyone else had quoted half that. Will maybe get the repair job next year.

I dispair at this game sometimes. More annoyingly, it was actually a referral from a retired tiler with a top not h reputation who's customers never mind paying a bit extra and getting a good job.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Had a look at a bathroom this evening. About 23m to do in 600x300 and there were stud walls with adhesively slimmed flakey plasterboard, a crumbly window wall and a bath wall constructed with 9mm ply. Priced to reboard everything including a floor, tank, tile and supply all materials. The total cost came to £560 and she more or less told me to get out of her house because everyone else had quoted half that. Will maybe get the repair job next year.

I dispair at this game sometimes. More annoyingly, it was actually a referral from a retired tiler with a top not h reputation who's customers never mind paying a bit extra and getting a good job.

You can do all my bathrooms for that price - as the supermodels used to say 'I wouldn't get out of bed for less than £10k a day'.

Not quite on that scale but you're working for nothing there Peter.

P

Peter

You can do all my bathrooms for that price - as the supermodels used to say 'I wouldn't get out of bed for less than £10k a day'.

Not quite on that scale but you're working for nothing there Peter.

Know what you mean but you won't get any more than £15 per metre for ceramics here, usual rate is about 12. Annoying to think that I'd get twice the amount in England for the same work. Recently been trying to push the higher rate for a better standard of finish but if I priced a job at £25 per metre I wouldn't get any work. Wages in general are lower over here too.

In saying that I can still make a reasonable living and bring in what I would consider a comfortable income.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Know what you mean but you won't get any more than £15 per metre for ceramics here, usual rate is about 12. Annoying to think that I'd get twice the amount in England for the same work. Recently been trying to push the higher rate for a better standard of finish but if I priced a job at £25 per metre I wouldn't get any work. Wages in general are lower over here too.

In saying that I can still make a reasonable living and bring in what I would consider a comfortable income.

Do you have 10 days in a week in Ireland? :lol:

T

Time's Ran Out

I understand the regional variation in labour rates and so it's not cheap (especially when you didn't get the job) to charge the rate that you are happy with!
We are in a financial downturn period in many areas of the British Isles and prices are low with competition rife from other trades trying to do our work.
However we have to work harder and better, showing a professional attitude even with the reduced wages, to continue to build that customer base and referrals that will see us through the rest of our careers - it's not a one off job - it's building a business.
We all fail to win contracts, that's why we estimate so people can compare, but if we believe we are giving value for money in our pricing, then we are not crooks!
Although there are various materials available at different prices, there is only one way to do a job and that is properly. If the customer doesn't want to pay for it to be done that way, that's their choice as it's your choice not to get involved in short term gain. The future is in your reputation.
:coffee:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
You could say by the same token that people who do a really bad job and charge very little are crooks. Unfortunately, we are working in a time where most people are looking after their hard earned, and want jobs doing for nothing, and there are guys out there willing to do it!!!

I went to do a quote for one of my wife's work colleagues and for the en-suite with what wanted doing it came to about £850. She thought it was expensive, but the following week my wife came home from work to tell me that her colleague had spent £560 on a handbag. These people sometimes just do not have any sense of perspective.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Am I a crook? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Looking for some advice.... A returning client has came to me in a bit of a dilemma and...
Replies
Views
lizzardtong
L
J
Picking up from deanos thread about fast tiling , I would like to set out my stance on costing...
Replies
Views
S
Hi there, I'm not a tiler by trade really but have had some good tiling courses under my belt...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
S
Hi All, I am having a nightmare!!! :mad2::mad2: I have previously posted about a job I was...
Replies
Views
SlippySlipster
S
J
Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to view my thread and hopefully you experience gents and...
Replies
Views
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.