Discuss At what point do any of you use tubbed addy ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi deanotile ,no i dont mind at all being told anything , if i am wrong i will hold my hand up ,but i fail to see what difference the size of the tile makes,if you read what i said again you will see iuse ready mixed most of the time and never have problems and never have had,and yes there is ready mixed adhesive for porcelain if people prefer to use it,now could you explain why it is the size of the tile that matters most of all

- - - Updated - - -

Hi deanotile ,no i dont mind at all being told anything , if i am wrong i will hold my hand up ,but i fail to see what difference the size of the tile makes,if you read what i said again you will see iuse ready mixed most of the time and never have problems and never have had,and yes there is ready mixed adhesive for porcelain if people prefer to use it,now could you explain why it is the size of the tile that matters most of all

T

The D

I try to supply my own addy. Infact i pretty dubious insist on it.
I use powder 99.9% of the time. Its cheaper and in my opinion far better. Money matters at the end of the day. And an open bag left in the van keeps better than an opened tub
I have to disagree with you on this one m8.In the right situation a ready mixed adhesive can be every bit as good as a bagged one if you doubt it have a look at the adhesive test video and see which one did the best job.

C

charlie1

IMO, if your gonna use ready mixed then you need to be pretty spot on with substrate prep as your limited to a very thin bed so, ie forget about setting the plane of the tiles and building out back skimming as required. If I was to hazard a guess at bond strength comparison then I'd say a fully set dispersion adhesive would be greater but that's just my guess. Of course, as already mentioned, cement based performs greater with with water penetration. I do know guys who stick up 60 x 30's with tubbed gear, the totally plaster the back of each tile and smudge it on to the wall and get really good coverage too and the results at the end are quite impressive, however I have seen what one of these jobs looks like after a few years... Not so good, tiles have been sucked back on to the profile of original substrate instead of the initial flat plane as how they where initially installed. I now snigger to myself when i hear the line " I've never had a problem doing it that way", I know better. :)

ps, Brian, not saying this is you, I'm sure you only use a thin bed with serrated trowel.

T

The D

IMO, if your gonna use ready mixed then you need to be pretty spot on with substrate prep as your limited to a very thin bed so, ie forget about setting the plane of the tiles and building out back skimming as required. If I was to hazard a guess at bond strength comparison then I'd say a fully set dispersion adhesive would be greater but that's just my guess. Of course, as already mentioned, cement based performs greater with with water penetration. I do know guys who stick up 60 x 30's with tubbed gear, the totally plaster the back of each tile and smudge it on to the wall and get really good coverage too and the results at the end are quite impressive, however I have seen what one of these jobs looks like after a few years... Not so good, tiles have been sucked back on to the profile of original substrate instead of the initial flat plane as how they where initially installed. I now snigger to myself when i hear the line " I've never had a problem doing it that way", I know better. :)

ps, Brian, not saying this is you, I'm sure you only use a thin bed with serrated trowel.
firstly some bagged adhesives have about the same limitations as ready mixed with regards to bed depth and in some cases the same limitations with regards tile size so for me it is better to use the correct adhesive for the given situation.
Personally I do not consider a cement based adhesive the best option if you have a small format tile and a plaster wall.

If I was to hazard a guess at bond strength comparison then I'd say a fully set dispersion adhesive would be greater but that's just my guess.”

I’m not sure what you are saying here as ready mixed and cement based can both be dispersion adhesives.

C

charlie1

firstly some bagged adhesives have about the same limitations as ready mixed with regards to bed depth and in some cases the same limitations with regards tile size so for me it is better to use the correct adhesive for the given situation.
Personally I do not consider a cement based adhesive the best option if you have a small format tile and a plaster wall.

If I was to hazard a guess at bond strength comparison then I'd say a fully set dispersion adhesive would be greater but that's just my guess.”

I’m not sure what you are saying here as ready mixed and cement based can both be dispersion adhesives.

Just speaking in general terms deano, chillax your getting too anal

T

The D

Just speaking in general terms deano, chillax your getting too anal
I am very relaxed and I am sorry you think I am being anal I am just asking you to clarify a few points in your general statement. when I was reading it it came across as a load of nonsense. When you are talking about limited bed depth for ready mixed adhesives and there are the same sort of limitations fore most cement based adhesive. Then you go on to say “ If I was to hazard a guess at bond strength comparison then I'd say a fully set dispersion adhesive would be greater but that's just my guess.” so are you talking about ready mixed or cement based ?? The other thing that I am confused about is “however I have seen what one of these jobs looks like after a few years... Not so good, tiles have been sucked back on to the profile of original substrate instead of the initial flat plane as how they where initially installed.” are you saying that the ready mixed adhesive sucked the tiles back that far over a period of years??

I have over the last 20 odd years fixed tiles of the correct size with ready mixed adhesive and I have had to bed out using it and I have never in all that time come across an instance where the tiles have sucked back that far that they followed the original profile of the wall.

Reply to At what point do any of you use tubbed addy ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Got a kitchen floor to do and it consists of a concrete floor which then meets a timber floor...
Replies
Views
I have a small ensuite that is 1950mm on 2 sides, the other two sides are 1850mm. I have 800mm...
Replies
Views
Alan Bentley
A
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB