Discuss At what point do any of you use tubbed addy ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

I am very relaxed and I am sorry you think I am being anal I am just asking you to clarify a few points in your general statement. when I was reading it it came across as a load of nonsense. When you are talking about limited bed depth for ready mixed adhesives and there are the same sort of limitations fore most cement based adhesive. Then you go on to say “ If I was to hazard a guess at bond strength comparison then I'd say a fully set dispersion adhesive would be greater but that's just my guess.” so are you talking about ready mixed or cement based ?? The other thing that I am confused about is “however I have seen what one of these jobs looks like after a few years... Not so good, tiles have been sucked back on to the profile of original substrate instead of the initial flat plane as how they where initially installed.” are you saying that the ready mixed adhesive sucked the tiles back that far over a period of years??

I have over the last 20 odd years fixed tiles of the correct size with ready mixed adhesive and I have had to bed out using it and I have never in all that time come across an instance where the tiles have sucked back that far that they followed the original profile of the wall.

Thought I was being clear, I'd say a fully dried ready mixed bed would have a higher bond strength than a fully dried cement based.... Just a guess mind!!

yeah, that's what I'm saying, tiler used tubbed adhesive putting one big dollop at each end of the ceramic tile, the tiles where split with an aluminium horizontal pencil border, I had a look at the job and remember being very impressed at how flat they where, really was quite a tidy finish. Over the next few years it was very apparent that something was happening to the tiles, they where not flat anymore and this was made very noticeable against the straight border, when you looked down from a more acute angle you could see they where not flat anymore. The job looked very DIY after 1+ yrs .... What's your expert reason for this Delano? Could it be that the big dollops of adhesive had shrunk over time?

Somerset
Its good to see such a diverse selection of views. Actually - if the tile sticks and stays put straight and don't fall off, then frankly you pays your money and you makes your choice. The whole reason tile adhesive manufacturers are so rich :)smilewinkgrin:) is because they manufacture so many different types of adhesive (to confuse everyone who failed O Level chemistry) and charge far too much money for it.... :8: Meanwhile rather than argue like two tilers with their Spanish and Italian tile cutters, lets just say - read the label, and follow the instructions. Now I'm off to buy another pallet of rapid setting flexible.... :lol:

nice one and ive just ordered two pallets of granfix supergrip:prrr:c
Its good to see such a diverse selection of views. Actually - if the tile sticks and stays put straight and don't fall off, then frankly you pays your money and you makes your choice. The whole reason tile adhesive manufacturers are so rich :)smilewinkgrin:) is because they manufacture so many different types of adhesive (to confuse everyone who failed O Level chemistry) and charge far too much money for it.... :8: Meanwhile rather than argue like two tilers with their Spanish and Italian tile cutters, lets just say - read the label, and follow the instructions. Now I'm off to buy another pallet of rapid setting flexible.... :lol:

C

charlie1

Can not remember the last time I used tubbed adhesive, miss the free buckets though.

The last time I personally bought a tub it was just the actual tub I needed as it has a lid, I needed it to mix up some Venetian marble, I just binned the adhesive. I know some guys hoard those tubs though and mix batches in them, it is beyond me how anyone can mix up a cement batch using on of those tubs, I'd have it everywhere!! I mix up my batches in my plasterers bucket, 1 bag at a time and does me a good few hours.

S

Stef

The last time I personally bought a tub it was just the actual tub I needed as it has a lid, I needed it to mix up some Venetian marble, I just binned the adhesive. I know some guys hoard those tubs though and mix batches in them, it is beyond me how anyone can mix up a cement batch using on of those tubs, I'd have it everywhere!! I mix up my batches in my plasterers bucket, 1 bag at a time and does me a good few hours.

Practice makes perfect!!

I always use my free buckets to mix adhesive.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to At what point do any of you use tubbed addy ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Got a kitchen floor to do and it consists of a concrete floor which then meets a timber floor...
Replies
Views
I have a small ensuite that is 1950mm on 2 sides, the other two sides are 1850mm. I have 800mm...
Replies
Views
Alan Bentley
A
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB