Discuss Book keeping in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SandyFloor

I have a box just inside the front door to collect my invoices and anything else. Once a month they get logged onto an Excel file and stored in a pocket file. It only takes Mrs S and me about an hour each time. I realised early on if you leave it for a year you lose a lot of time compiling the info as you can't remember a lot of things.

I also like to get it to my accountant in April/May so I know the tax I'll be due to pay sooner rather than later. My last return for 2009/2010 went in four months ago to get my tax re-assessed due to my income dropping drastically for that year.

I do find it a real chore but it's good to know where I stand.

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
I always leave it to a mad rush too, I do all my own accounting, as I did a small business course and understand all the depreciation calculations, fuel allowances etc etc, last year was the only year I did it early because I was fairly quiet and needed the rebate, as I seem to overpay tax every year. This year I'm about 4 months in at the moment and hopefully finish it this weekend. Once it's al done I file online in about 1 hour, and can see what I'm due back to me.:thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I've just been sorting the office out this weekend, and am soon to be going through all my books to make sure I'm not diddling myself by missing something out. I've left it far too long but hopefully in the new year the other half will be working for the business and it'll be her job to keep on top of it generally, and we'll both go through it near the time and file everything we need to online. :)

Will be VAT registered from Jan too so she'll need to keep on top of it quarterly which will make it a bit easier at year end.

I've always struggled with it though. It's always a mad rush and I'm sure I've diddled myself a few times before now by missing out something important.

R

Rob Z

Hi Brian, after 20 years I am still a knucklehead about this stuff. I pay a guy now to come in and run everything through QuickBooks and get all my monthly, quarterly and yearly remittances into the various governmental agencies that want/demand/extort my money from me.

I hate it with a passion but what can I do about it? Nothing, but pay someone to deal with it during the year and then pay a lot of money to the CPA to prepare the returns every year.

D

diamondtiling

Brian, take an A4 envelope with you whenever you start a new job, put the start date on the front and then put all receipts into it, if you have an account with a tile shop then make sure you pay them when the job is done and put the receipt into the envelope.
The job end date goes onto the envelope as well, this allows you monitor any days you dont have work, doing it like this means you will end up with all your jobs in envelopes with the relevant receipts and bank slips.
Just transfer the figures to your books each month, dead easy, dead quick.

:thumbsup:

Reply to Book keeping in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
T
It’s in open forum so ‘mind your language ‘! On Monday last week I did something I’ve not done...
Replies
Views
WetSaw
W
I've just had my bathroom done by my plumber Dad and paid a lot of money for a very good tiler...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
2 3 4
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Book keeping
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.