Discuss Can i get qualified on the job.?... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Q&A: Can I get qualified 'on the job'?

Age-legislation-2.jpg
I've been in the industry for years and have built up my skills on the job. But now I'm getting asked for proof of my skills and qualifications by some contractors. I don't want to go to college at my age - what can I do?
Luckily, this is a common problem in the construction industry, and there are two routes to help you get qualified.

On-Site Assessment and Training (OSAT)
This helps experienced workers get the qualifications to prove they can do the job. It turns your existing skills and experience into a nationally recognised qualification such as an NVQ or SVQ.
The whole process is carried out through a number of visits on site so you don't have to take time off to go to college.
This also helps you qualify for a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card - important if you want to work on big construction projects.
For more information about OSAT, visit the OSAT sectionof the ConstructionSkills website.
Experienced Worker Practical Assessment (EWPA)
This is a fast route through the ConstructionSkills/City & Guilds awarding body. It is available for workers with a minimum of five years experience and who don’t need any further training.
It involves spending a day having your skills and knowledge assessed at an off-site location, normally your NVQ centre. This can sometimes be done at weekends.
All the skills needed to pass the NVQ are included in one task, which is observed by an approved assessor. It is currently only available for certain trades.
For 4 quick and easy steps to EWPA, visit the EWPA section of the Construction Skills website.
Which one is right for you?
The SkillsDirect helpline, set up to assist construction workers who want to get qualified, will be able to advise you. Call 0870 850 5262 to get started.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Can i get qualified on the job.?... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all; We're looking at hiring skilled Wall/floor tilers to join our team in Canberra...
Replies
Views
Muhammad fiaz
M
Add your news for free; Tiling News, Plumbing News, Electrical News What's Involved in...
Replies
Views
Tamworth based Instarmac Group plc are delighted to have been officially named as a ‘Great Place...
Replies
Views
Spare Tool
S
T
Hi, please can you help me on this, I think I have a tradesman done a bad wall tile job on our...
Replies
Views
Tianqiang Situ
T
T
The firm i am working for is looking for more tilers must have CSCS card and transport. Good...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Can i get qualified on the job.?...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.