Discuss Is It A Bad Tiling Job? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tianqiang Situ

Call him back and tell him to fix it if your not happy. ...simple really. .
I called them and explained my concerned and sent them the photos by email, bellows are the emails reply I received from them. By the look of the emails, they don't seem to think there is anything unusal. I am a bit worry they will refuse to fix.

Thank you for email
Just to confirm our telephone conversation I am prepared as one of the directors to come to visit after nothing alarmed me in the photos,better to have a visual and as I require one of my other skilled workmen apart from XX I will be bringing YY however as explained he is out of the area on Monday so I will try and arrange this for after 5pm sometime after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

p4ulo

I think its the grouting that lets it down.
Obvs the tiles are slightly different to the old ones, and the tiler has stuggled to line them up, it was either the tiles not lining up or the grout lines being smaller.....from the distant shots you showed of the full tiling above the bath it looks good, but the grout lines are far too "scooped out" and not as full as the original tiling, which is why it notices.
Hopefully with a re-grout you'll be happy.

T

Tianqiang Situ

Obvs the tiles are slightly different to the old ones, and the tiler has stuggled to line them up, it was either the tiles not lining up or the grout lines being smaller.....from the distant shots you showed of the full tiling above the bath it looks good, but the grout lines are far too "scooped out" and not as full as the original tiling, which is why it notices.
Hi, Thanks for your advise. Can I ask you how do you normally do a re-grout? do you use a bottle of grout remover to remove the old grout then grout again? I just think the way that man removed the grout last time was not right, using a metal stick to scratch the the grout joints, I just think he would chip the tiles, please can you advise how to do a proper re-grout so that I can ensure them doing the right thing. Thanks

P

p4ulo

Its a horrible job.
You can buy a small hand-held grout rake with removable blades....you need to scrape all the old grout out before it get re-grouted.
Other option is to borrow / hire / buy a FEIN multi-tool or similar, for which you can get a proper grout removing tool to remove it / it basically will work like a small angle-grinder (although it oscillates not completely spins) and it cuts out the old grout.
Not a pleasant job....
Next time its grouted, take their time, allow it to harden up a bit in the joint before wiping away with sponge and even longer before buffing residue off the face....

T

Tianqiang Situ

Its a horrible job.
You can buy a small hand-held grout rake with removable blades....you need to scrape all the old grout out before it get re-grouted.
Other option is to borrow / hire / buy a FEIN multi-tool or similar, for which you can get a proper grout removing tool to remove it / it basically will work like a small angle-grinder (although it oscillates not completely spins) and it cuts out the old grout.
Not a pleasant job....
Next time its grouted, take their time, allow it to harden up a bit in the joint before wiping away with sponge and even longer before buffing residue off the face....
I have not thought re-grout sounds so diffcult, I hope they will agree to do it and do it right. I will not pay them until they fix the problems, surely if they refuse to fix they can not call themself tradesman. Can not believe such a small job can go wrong, very stressful experience, thanks for your advise.

T

Tianqiang Situ

won him in a raffle
Yes, I was so lucky.
Not sure if you tilers advertise yourself on Ratedpeople.com, I posted my job on their website, I chosen the dropdown tab: tiler, they gave me this company. They have 5 stars reviews, people done floor tiling with them rated 5 stars, very good review, I am just wondering how reliable this Ratedpeople.com, now I am not too sure how true those review are.

T

Tianqiang Situ

The people on rated.com I am led to believe pay for the privilege of being on their site.But you would not know that,time for a complaint me thinks.
I possiblely will make a complaint throught their website, but I am meeting their director either Friday or next week, I hope he would fix the problems for me, so I will hold on my complaint for now.

T

Tianqiang Situ

Can I just say this customer definitely did not get my number from rated .com

I gave him a quote left my plumbers number to change the taps.......that was the last I heard from him till this thread.
Hi Andy, yes, you are right, your details was not from Ratedpeople.com, I got your details from yell.com. When I decided to do the tiling for my bathroom I look for quotes from different sources, your were the last quote of my 3 quotes, your quote (Plus your plumber) perhaps worked out cheaper than that man, I was just too lazy to call your plumber, I regret that now.

After that tradesman done the bad job, I was trying to look for a professional tiler to see if they can come and give me advise on if it is a good job or not (that's what I mean "Surveyor" in my previous post), so I go back to yell.com and I saw you have a website, then I have a look at your website and you mention this forum on your website, that why I am in this forum, I should say thank you to you and the people in this forum as now I should have enough knowledge to go back to that tradesman and tell them what they have done wrong.
Thanks

T

Tianqiang Situ

Hi Guys, need your advise again, the tradesman requested me to pay for changing the taps, but the quote he gave me is a total quote £200 for tiling and changing the tap (labour only), it did not say how much it cost for changing the taps, now he said the taps ok I should pay, so he asked for £75 for changing the taps. I am not too sure I will need to pay, I stiil waiting for them to come to check the tiles and fix. Plesse can you advise me if I will need to pay? and what should I say to them? thanks

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
glasgow
Can I just say this customer definitely did not get my number from rated .com

I gave him a quote left my plumbers number to change the taps.......that was the last I heard from him till this thread.

Given the circumstances I would have done the exact same. Here's my tiling quote, here's the plumbers number.

With regards to the tiling job, it isn't the worst I have seen but at the same time it isn't the best. Personally I think the grout has majorly let this one down. I prefer to wash the grout down and then give it a second wash as a lot of the time I feel polishing it with a cloth can wreck the grout joints.

Lastly before leaving a review I would offer the tiler the chance to fix. If he can't/ doesn't turn up to fix it. Then I believe you would be due a refund due to the poor workmanship.

T

Tianqiang Situ

Only you can decide if your happy or not with the job
If your not happy and there are problems with the work that the tiler won't sort out then don't pay and get someone else in to put it right
From the pictures you've posted it doesn't look great if it was my house they would be ripped off and done again
just my opinion for what its worth
I am very unhappy, the woman come to our house and speaking not very nice, she keep saying their work is good, when I tell her is not good, she was not happy, I will not pay them, I have made a complaint throught ratedpeople.com, I hope they will send someone to come to have a look at the job, if it can not be sorted, I will go for Citizen advise.

Reply to Is It A Bad Tiling Job? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

DIY Tiling; Advice for DIY Tilers So long story short, I have just purchased my first house and...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hope everyone is well. I'm after some advice please. I'm currently having my bathroom tiled...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I had a very unprofessional tiler who did a lot of errors and left my bathroom...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB