Guest viewing is limited

Discuss customers does not like the job, am I liable if she decides to re do everything? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

Look forward to your visit tonight to see the difference in levels.
If the facts of your post are correct and there is a 5mm discrepency from 1 side to the other, than this is outside the limits for British Standards over a 2metre distance.
The only way we can improve the image of our industry is to adhere to the standards set and that will give customers confidence in our profession.

C

Colour Republic

Look forward to your visit tonight to see the difference in levels.
If the facts of your post are correct and there is a 5mm discrepency from 1 side to the other, than this is outside the limits for British Standards over a 2metre distance.
The only way we can improve the image of our industry is to adhere to the standards set and that will give customers confidence in our profession.

if the two opposite walls tiles differ by 5mm, that's too much imo, far too much in fact. It'll throw the adjacent wall's plumb line out by a mile to my eye. Price doesn't come into it in my mind, if you're a pro tiler you do it by the book and do it as though it was your own bathroom:wacky:

Have I got this wrong??? Your posts suggest that he is completely in the wrong?

From what I understand there are two opposite walls tiled.. lets call them north and south, and the difference in finished height is 5mm. These walls are completely seperated as walls east and west are un-tiled, (for a bathroom purpose lets say they are painted) so the two walls are stand alone, not connected by tiles. Are you telling me that 5mm difference in datum height is completely unacceptable???? over 3 meters, which is what he said the 'painted' walls were?? which is what he stated

Or am I reading this wrong? and the tiles fall by 5mm so the grout joins are out of sync?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SandyFloor

Have I got this wrong??? Your posts suggest that he is completely in the wrong?

From what I understand there are two opposite walls tiled.. lets call them north and south, and the difference in finished height is 5mm. These walls are completely seperated as walls east and west are un-tiled, (for a bathroom purpose lets say they are painted) so the two walls are stand alone, not connected by tiles. Are you telling me that 5mm difference in datum height is completely unacceptable???? over 3 meters, which is what he said the 'painted' walls were?? which is what he stated

Or am I reading this wrong? and the tiles fall by 5mm so the grout joins are out of sync?

Yep....that's what I was thinking too but was misunderstanding due to the condemnation ( thought I was a bit thick for a moment). There must be something more to this surely. I mean if you drew horizontal lines on two opposing walls I couldn't tell you if they were 5mm off level....... unless there was some point of reference to show it up.

M

mikethetile

Yep....that's what I was thinking too but was misunderstanding due to the condemnation ( thought I was a bit thick for a moment). There must be something more to this surely. I mean if you drew horizontal lines on two opposing walls I couldn't tell you if they were 5mm off level....... unless there was some point of reference to show it up.
the tiles could be level and the point of reference could be 5mm out of level

C

Colour Republic

the tiles could be level and the point of reference could be 5mm out of level

I'm sure you mean the same as me Mike?, although a datum (as you know) is just that... a point of reference

I get the feeling you think the customer has taken either the floor or the ceiling as a point of reference and come up with the 5mm difference, by measuring either up or down

Which as we know could show 5mm or much much more as being the difference, but still has no bearing on the tiles being level or not, as the floor or the ceiling could be out of level making the measurements invalid.

I'm gonna shut up now:oops: until we hear back from ab tiling as to the findings

F

fipple

SHeesus! you guys are keen:smilewinkgrin:...some of you have been posting this in the wee hours of the morning...it shows dedication to throw condemnation around at such an early hour...im sure:8:the liquor has nothing to do with such zestful reproach on a fellow tiler,as youve all stated its pretty hard to know the total facts,and your obviously in a league of your own doug!...admittedly its hard to get facts here,,,but my gage is....shes taking him for a ride...ive seen clients itch about the fact that there is 1-2mm diff in the grout line...not taking in account that generally not all tile are exact...for me im giving the guy the benefit of the doubt and feel this customer would be a distant memory in my eyes and wouldnt give her the time of day...they are obsessives...met many clients that can see youve completed a professional job yet will insist you join them under the kitchen worktop to look at the 2mm difference on the worktop to the wall(scribe) and you look at them whilst your under there and think wtf!...is she serious...throttling comes to mind:smilewinkgrin::thumbsup:

S

SandyFloor

Obviously none of us are entirely sure what the problem is here but I'd like to make this point. It 'appears' these two walls are not connected by tiles and it 'appears' quite petty the customer has an issue with this. However......if this discrepency didn't exist there wouldn't be an arguement. It is in the tradesman's interest to carry out the work within acceptable standards & tolerances even when it doesn't seem essential to do so ( like in this case).

Some customers, for whatever reason, will actively look for inaccuracies. Their noses may be out of joint possibly due to something totally unrelated to anything you've done or they might be simply obsessive or looking for an excuse not to pay.....who knows?

Whatever the reason it's important to do everything by the book simply to avoid this potential arguement. On occasions when it's not practical to do this you must inform the customer and point out the options and it may be prudent to confirm any verbal agreement in writing. Then you have nothing to worry about.

As I said this appears to be a petty complaint but look at it like this....if the customer then wanted to tile the other two walls then there would definitely be an issue to contend with.

It could be we've all misunderstood this anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mikethetile

I'm sure you mean the same as me Mike?, although a datum (as you know) is just that... a point of reference

I get the feeling you think the customer has taken either the floor or the ceiling as a point of reference and come up with the 5mm difference, by measuring either up or down

Which as we know could show 5mm or much much more as being the difference, but still has no bearing on the tiles being level or not, as the floor or the ceiling could be out of level making the measurements invalid.

I'm gonna shut up now:oops: until we hear back from ab tiling as to the findings

I am Rob

untill we know how they are finding the 5 mm difference we cant really comment, as you say 5mm on opposite walls 3m apart is not easy to see

Reply to customers does not like the job, am I liable if she decides to re do everything? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I wonder if any one can give me some advice. I live in a fairly new build house that was built 8...
Replies
Views
J
Hi First post on here but I have taken a lot of advice on here in the past. I am having a...
Replies
Views
R
Hi all - first post here :). I need expert advice on how to proceed.... I have hired a...
Replies
Views
ReX83
R
It was his first day today. I found him on mybuilder. He wasn't the cheapest quote and I chose...
Replies
Views
P
Hi I'm currently having my ensuite bathroom redone. Tilers were in a day or two ago - I am...
Replies
Views
Pleasehelp
P

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
customers does not like the job, am I liable if she decides to re do everything?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.