Discuss Ditra on Anhydrite in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

Hi di all, new to forum, but have spoken to Alan J in past. I am about to re-lay a kitchen/utility with normal (cheapo if you like) ceramic 300x300 tiles on Gypsum screed, I had to lift the originals (in fact they came up very willingly) as the tiler failed to check moisture levels, and I didn't run wet UFH up before tiling, a fatal combination of tiler not really knowing what he was doing and a self-builder never having installed UFH before, but hey-ho! Anyway having dried the bare screed out over the hot summer, I now need to re-tile before UFH on again in Oct, and from this forum it seems the safest way forward is to use special adhesive e.g. "Gypfix" to fix a de-coupling membrane down, and normal cement adhesive to fix tiles to membrane, with waterproof grout to finish?? I will need to test the final moisture levels before proceeding, especially as an area under the sink got damp with standpipe use before the tiles were originally laid, although no idea where I get a digital hygrometer, can these be hired??

Try these guys for the hygrometer TR Flooring, Floor covering wholesaler and distributor, Nottingham

They do the F.Ball one for around £100 if I recall correctly, it was last year when it was purchased so don't quote me on the price.

S

stevegun

Thanks all, hygrometer on e-bay is around 70 notes with delivery, sounds a lot, although cheaper than F. Ball and the likes who want 120+!! Pity these things aren't hireable for say £20, as its a true single use item for a self-builder, and likely to get used once and slung in top of cupboard for years. I have one of the 2 steel points builders moisture meters which give an indication of the level, but guess the hygrometer is only way to be sure?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Thanks all, hygrometer on e-bay is around 70 notes with delivery, sounds a lot, although cheaper than F. Ball and the likes who want 120+!! Pity these things aren't hireable for say £20, as its a true single use item for a self-builder, and likely to get used once and slung in top of cupboard for years. I have one of the 2 steel points builders moisture meters which give an indication of the level, but guess the hygrometer is only way to be sure?

no it's not the only way.... You could buy yourself a carbide bomb for £700 or a laboratory oven and control room for say ten grand.... £70 is actually pretty cheap and when you have finished with it you can stick it back on eBay

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Don't mind me while I bump some old but popular threads to see if the topic is still active in some way. Wondering if either the original idea or original issue still exists. I've done this with quite a few threads, so don't be offended if this is just jargon these days and not applicable. But I thought there might be a small chance a small percentage of the small number of threads might just be slightly applicable and the thread could get a new lease of life.

Reply to this if you've read a bit and have something to say. :)
There IS going to be a bigger chance when i do this, that the thread is dead. So don't worry if that's the case, just don't reply to it, and we'll all move on and let the thread drop out of view again.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Ditra on Anhydrite in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I am planning to lay 600mm x 600mm x 20mm slate on to an anhydrite screed. It is a very thick...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB