Discuss Does it mean you are a bad tiler if you have slow patches? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stef

Cheers.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391893810.089235.jpg

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I got work till Thursday next week then nowt....however im looking at 3 jobs Monday and Tuesday evening, and I got a bit in the pipe line, so im not that bothered its very seldom I go a whole week without doing something, but the days of being booked up for 4/5 weeks have well gone for me and have been for the last 3 years, I could be more booked up but made a decision last year to stop working for builders that I didn't know, if its right or wrong to do that, im not that bothered as my stress levels have gone down loads, as I got so fed up fighting for my money.

most of my jobs are repeat customers or recommendation so they know what there getting, and if I can start the next day they are more than happy with that as who wants to wait months to have there tiling done....?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
The building trade generally has always gone through feast and famine cycles. What happens in the famine stages in my experience is that grades people diversify. Electricians become plumbers as well, bricklayers take on plastering jobs, carpenters take on bricklaying jobs, roofers become tilers sort of thing. That means that you get a lot of inexperienced tradespeople coming in to the frame and because punters generally are either gullible or greedy (go for the cheapest price) these lesser trades people eat into the available work.

January this year thoug has been a bit odd from the screeds point of view. Some areas have been going like a train and Palme like a lame donkey. Things will stabilise and pick up this year though I think and the amount of available work will increase. Once this happens the rubbish trades will get weeded out as they **** things up and get back to their proper trade.

P

Peter

I'm not the best tiler about by any stretch of the imagination but if I'm out of work and have nothing on I'd rather price a bathroom at £300 for 3 days work and get it than price it at £500 and sit in the house. If I have nothing on at all and look at a job, I will never tell the customer I'm quiet but say I might be able to fit it in for them next week as I have a job booked in that's not urgent. Know another tiler who's always slack and tells customers how quiet he is, I don't think it helps his case any.

There's always something to do if you look for it, if I have nothing on then I will ring round all the tilers I know and one of them will usually give me a few days work, then I return the favour when I'm busy and they're slack.

All swings and roundabouts, there's one week where you take 5 days to do a 3 day job just to bluff the week out, then other weeks when you're working 15 hour days to try and get caught up.

Then there's the phenomenon of having no work after the end of the week but when the phone rings once it rings all day, and you end up with a month's bookings.

All tilers are good so long as they are making a living from there trade and doing decent work. if your quiet enough not to be making a living from your trade then I'd question if I was a tiler at all.
charlie 1 are you for real,so after 40 odd years ive got to question myself as to whether im a tiler or not, i dont know whether you are awind up merchant ,but yo talk utter C..P

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
All tilers are good so long as they are making a living from there trade and doing decent work. if your quiet enough not to be making a living from your trade then I'd question if I was a tiler at all.

Hmm. So let's say you are a great tiler and you work in a general radius of say fifty miles from your home. A recession hits, and hits bloody hard as in 2008 and all of a sudden most of the builders, plumbers, carpenters, roofers, sparks, plasterers, screeders etc etc in that area are suddenly out of their regular jobs.( I can tell you that the level of screeds installed in 2008 was less than 50% of that in 2007, and we are only just returning to the 2007 volumes and I cannot imagine tiling is much different) All of them have to earn a living and with the majority of good self employed tradespeople they can turn their hands to most things. So some of them and did take to tiling. Let's us now imagine that whilst you were one of ten tilers in your patch Nd their were say ten jobs a month available. Now all of a sudden their are twenty tilers and only four jobs a month available. Two things happen immediately, prices drop and general quality decreases. You as a great tiler have to start making cuts in order to keep making a living, your prices will drop and the amount of work you have will decrease. Does that make you a poor tiler, of course not. It is simply a case of supply and demand. What you have said is I'm my humble non tilers opinion, c**p. just because you not busy enough to make a living does not mean you are not a tiler....

Reply to Does it mean you are a bad tiler if you have slow patches? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I had a very unprofessional tiler who did a lot of errors and left my bathroom...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi! Could I get some advice on my tiling? It's just been done last week by a tiler by trade but...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB