Discuss Does it mean you are a bad tiler if you have slow patches? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

Hmm. So let's say you are a great tiler and you work in a general radius of say fifty miles from your home. A recession hits, and hits bloody hard as in 2008 and all of a sudden most of the builders, plumbers, carpenters, roofers, sparks, plasterers, screeders etc etc in that area are suddenly out of their regular jobs.( I can tell you that the level of screeds installed in 2008 was less than 50% of that in 2007, and we are only just returning to the 2007 volumes and I cannot imagine tiling is much different) All of them have to earn a living and with the majority of good self employed tradespeople they can turn their hands to most things. So some of them and did take to tiling. Let's us now imagine that whilst you were one of ten tilers in your patch Nd their were say ten jobs a month available. Now all of a sudden their are twenty tilers and only four jobs a month available. Two things happen immediately, prices drop and general quality decreases. You as a great tiler have to start making cuts in order to keep making a living, your prices will drop and the amount of work you have will decrease. Does that make you a poor tiler, of course not. It is simply a case of supply and demand. What you have said is I'm my humble non tilers opinion, c**p. just because you not busy enough to make a living does not mean you are not a tiler....

Would you call yourself a tiler even though that is not what you do for a living? If your not making a living from fixing tiles then how can someone call themselves a Tiler?? Surely the would be doing something else like a bus driver or a doctor...etc
interesting scenario with lots of different factors Alan but the fact is and it applies to all areas in business, the market place is a good datum to how good someone is at what they do. Keep in mind, there is a difference between a tiler in a quiet spell and one who does not tile anymore and has re trained to do something else.

C

charlie1

But want your point in the other post if the tiler can start at the drop of a hat you need to question his ability as a tiler?

Id question anyone who was going to be doing work for me regardless of how busy they where. Yes, more so if they where able to do a job next week/day. I would be on one hand thinking great but on the other, I'd be curious as to why they where not busy. Good tilers will generally be busier than bad tilers that's a fact and before everyone comes on to say how good they are but they are not busy I know there are exceptions to this and I sympathise with your situation.

You still here? Thought you where away! Your always saying things on here then not doing it... All talk! Can only assume your all talk in the real world too brian.
so what are you trying to say

- - - Updated - - -

You still here? Thought you where away! Your always saying things on here then not doing it... All talk! Can only assume your all talk in the real world too brian.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

C

charlie1

so because you are busy you are a good tiler are you or are you a doctor or a bus driver ,ill have to go and get miself another fish tank:mad2:

Well, I'm a tiler and a very busy tiler!! I'm always willing to learn and improve. Am I a good tiler? Doesn't really matter what I think tbh, as long as my customers are happy, that's all that matters. Forget about a fish tank brian, I think it's way beyond fish tanks lol

C

charlie1

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

if memory serves me correct have you not publicly asked for your TF account to be deleted and you won't be back???.... Twice!!!!

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Would you call yourself a tiler even though that is not what you do for a living? If your not making a living from fixing tiles then how can someone call themselves a Tiler?? Surely the would be doing something else like a bus driver or a doctor...etc
interesting scenario with lots of different factors Alan but the fact is and it applies to all areas in business, the market place is a good datum to how good someone is at what they do. Keep in mind, there is a difference between a tiler in a quiet spell and one who does not tile anymore and has re trained to do something else.

How many actors are there who are waiting tables waiting for their chosen career to pay the bills. How many Great singers are there who work in supermarkets during the day and sing at night. Just because you are not making a living does not mean that you are not a tiler.

if times are good I would agree that if you cannot make a living then you perhaps should question your career choice. In a recession it often comes down to how cheap you are not how good you are. Seen it too many times...

C

charlie1

How many actors are there who are waiting tables waiting for their chosen career to pay the bills. How many Great singers are there who work in supermarkets during the day and sing at night. Just because you are not making a living does not mean that you are not a tiler.

if times are good I would agree that if you cannot make a living then you perhaps should question your career choice. In a recession it often comes down to how cheap you are not how good you are. Seen it too many times...

I disagree with you entirely on this one Alan but your entitled to your opinion. What you are is not governed by what your ambition is, generally speaking, you are what you do. I like playing motor racing simulators on my play station and I'm very good but if someone asks me what I do then I tell them I'm a tiler not a racing driver. I used to work in IT for years when I started tiling, I remember feeling awkward telling people I was a tiler even though I was making money, took me a few years before I actually considered myself as a tiler.

D

dave l and l

i find its a few things that will make you busy, being good helps obviously , however money talks so the cheaper tilers are generally busier as long as they leave a respectable job,
i think customers rarely know the difference between a good job and an average job
also the quick tilers tend to be busy also as the plumbers/ bathroom fitters like to be in and out asap so someone who is rapid tends to get plenty work, once again as long as the leave an acceptable job..
its also down to who you know most of the time too.

I disagree with you entirely on this one Alan but your entitled to your opinion. What you are is not governed by what your ambition is, generally speaking, you are what you do. I like playing motor racing simulators on my play station and I'm very good but if someone asks me what I do then I tell them I'm a tiler not a racing driver. I used to work in IT for years when I started tiling, I remember feeling awkward telling people I was a tiler even though I was making money, took me a few years before I actually considered myself as a tiler.
i find theese posts really hard to believe im sorry

C

charlie1

Just a point here ! why have you not voted yes then Chase ?

Does it mean you are a bad tiler if you have slow patches ? My answer is no. I have never on this thread or any other said that if you can do a job at short notice then you must be a bad tiler but I will stand by everything I have said, yes it would be a concern to me if I was hiring a tiler that could work at such short notice.

Id question anyone who was going to be doing work for me regardless of how busy they where. Yes, more so if they where able to do a job next week/day. I would be on one hand thinking great but on the other, I'd be curious as to why they where not busy. Good tilers will generally be busier than bad tilers that's a fact and before everyone comes on to say how good they are but they are not busy I know there are exceptions to this and I sympathise with your situation.
Confused now ?

T

The D

Does it mean you are a bad tiler if you have slow patches ? My answer is no. I have never on this thread or any other said that if you can do a job at short notice then you must be a bad tiler but I will stand by everything I have said, yes it would be a concern to me if I was hiring a tiler that could work at such short notice.
lol you say no but think yes

eh that doesnt make sense im sorry

C

charlie1

charlie 1 i have a 34 mtr sand & cement floor to do for a friend of my brother in renfrewshire, seriously would you be able to help me out for very good money ?

Is this an attempt at c**k measuring? Why sand and cement? Can't you just overlay with some on that 10mm plywood only you seem to use? Anyway, I thought you had deactivated your account? (Twice)

C

charlie1

no its in a chemical lab ,sorry ive nothing to hide ,now can you do it or not?

I thought you had left the forum brian... Explain what happened and I will gladly answer your question.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 51

Reply to Does it mean you are a bad tiler if you have slow patches? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I had a very unprofessional tiler who did a lot of errors and left my bathroom...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi! Could I get some advice on my tiling? It's just been done last week by a tiler by trade but...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB