Discuss Dot & dabbing tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
View attachment 75782

A subcontractors efforts for me!. Bearing in mind there's 6 bathrooms in this property and and 120mq2 of limestone flooring in a £3mil house, oh and is straight onto new MR board!.... #sacked!...
Holy Shinzo , I've get less lip off me daughters ,that's bad :)

As fo apprentices , I think it's all this
'lets go to uni for a degree on erm Bugger all and work at McDonald's until a job comes along which needs my degree ' mentality we have had for the past decade or so !
All the half decent middle of the road lads who went into the building trade with little brain matter but a abundance of common sense,like me :hearteyes:,years ago ,have got pushed into further education and left lads who Have no brains or common sense and grunt by way of communicating :grimacing: trust me I've had loads

Kent
That's absolutely correct, I went to a secondary school. Got a job when I was 16. As a plumbers mate. Proved I could turn up in the morning. Proved I was interested in the job. Got offered an apprenticeship. Did me time as we say. I never knew anyone in my circle of friends/relatives who went to (uni) we all wanted to get a trade and earn a few quid. The big problem in our times is common sense is not that common. And they can't teach it in uni's or anywhere else come to think of it. All I can say is you can't beat a good job. And training whilst your doing it. Read a good notice outside a public house the other day. Education is important! But beer is more importanter!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
5 litres brick acid soak for that mixer ..think ive got o.c.d i use 3 on a big job soaking 1 every 2 days ...they want binnin really the dirty scutter...had to put right a few dabbed jobs ...dont know how they sleep at night ...imagine a big format tile falling from height on a kids head having a bath.....shiver
Have you not just whacked it with a hammer? 2 minutes and do it in a bucket the bits don't even go everywhere.

J

Joseph Kover

Adhesive come off with grinder.not the sweetest job ever but still better than buying new tiles.

May I ask what did you make to choose him/them?
Many clientry try to look for budget workers then calling later to fix their issues.everybody learn from their own experiences. Most problems turns out just a year later when tiles come off by hand only.you were lucky to notice early on

Not sure about others but for a while now I mix proflex primer in the ashesive on all jobs.good luck to remove them ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kent
May I ask what did you make to choose him/them?
Many clientry try to look for budget workers then calling later to fix their issues.everybody learn from their own experiences. Most problems turns out just a year later when tiles come off by hand only.you were lucky to notice early on
Hi Joseph, the chap in question was recommended to me from another person I know who is also in the trade, I have since had a (discussion) with him and let him know the situation. He won't be getting any more recommendations from him. This guy could have got a lot of work as we where looking for someone to replace our normal guy who unfortunately has had to give up tiling at a very early age due to an illness. Money was not an issue, ie trying to get a job done on the cheap. I believe in a fair days money for a fair days work. Also you have to start somewhere, and as a busy company I have not got the time to go to look at previous work he had done, I did however look at some of his so called previous jobs on his web site portfolio. Obviously that did not prove correct which I've learnt the hard way. Well! That's enough of that. I hope people out there have gained some good out of this thread, and anyone can get caught out, as previously mentioned I have been plumbing for 35 years and don't class myself as a laymen.

Kent
It's amazing his tools got into that state as it means he must have been working for some time and that means there are many poor souls out there with tiles dotted on their walls but with no idea shame on the man
Yep!! His trowel which I assume at one time would have been a five mil notch, was down to nil mm, he may as well have just put it on with brickys trowel, but a bricky would have covered the complete tile rather than the middle with none on the edges.! His mixer was fairly new so that did not see many other jobs. His radio was spotless though!

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Hi everyone.
Just had a tiler do some tiling on a job for me.. I was not on this job when he started so got there at the end of the day, he came recommend. This is what I found. He started to tile on wall opposite the bath due to mapei gum still wet. Did not batton out any horizontal datum line, I noticed there would have been approx between 10 /12 mm mastic gap between tile & top of bath edge. So quite a big mastic joint. Noticed that he did not use any spacers on vertical lines so they where not that true either. His ryobi hand held mixer had more adhesive gone hard on the blade than was probably used on the wall, mapei keraquik rapid set flexible. Picture will be added later. Obviously got quite suspicious and disappointed. Did a bit of tapping looking for trap doors & noticed a lot of echoing coming back of tiles, pulled a couple off and low and behold the guy had been loading it on with a shovel!!! He used approx 2 x 20 kg bags on a wall 2metersx2.4meters high that was reasonably level. The tiles are 300x600 porcelain tiles so not the lightest. Had to tell him to not come back. Prob is? Do you think that adhesive can be taken off the back of them tiles if they can be prised off or shall I scrap them? And is there a decent tiler that wants a good working companionship with a small family plumbing business in the Bromley area?? Usual tiler has given up due to illness.
Hope you can advise...!!???
Hi everyone.
Just had a tiler do some tiling on a job for me.. I was not on this job when he started so got there at the end of the day, he came recommend. This is what I found. He started to tile on wall opposite the bath due to mapei gum still wet. Did not batton out any horizontal datum line, I noticed there would have been approx between 10 /12 mm mastic gap between tile & top of bath edge. So quite a big mastic joint. Noticed that he did not use any spacers on vertical lines so they where not that true either. His ryobi hand held mixer had more adhesive gone hard on the blade than was probably used on the wall, mapei keraquik rapid set flexible. Picture will be added later. Obviously got quite suspicious and disappointed. Did a bit of tapping looking for trap doors & noticed a lot of echoing coming back of tiles, pulled a couple off and low and behold the guy had been loading it on with a shovel!!! He used approx 2 x 20 kg bags on a wall 2metersx2.4meters high that was reasonably level. The tiles are 300x600 porcelain tiles so not the lightest. Had to tell him to not come back. Prob is? Do you think that adhesive can be taken off the back of them tiles if they can be prised off or shall I scrap them? And is there a decent tiler that wants a good working companionship with a small family plumbing business in the Bromley area?? Usual tiler has given up due to illness.
Hope you can advise...!!???

Looking at the adhesive on the back of that tile says BAD PRACTICE to me.....should be 100% coverage on the back of the tile and the substrate, no wonder it sounds hollow!.......get these cowboys out of the tiling industry

View attachment 75782

A subcontractors efforts for me!. Bearing in mind there's 6 bathrooms in this property and and 120mq2 of limestone flooring in a £3mil house, oh and is straight onto new MR board!.... #sacked!...

crikey that's some serious lippage!.....get that cowboy off site now!!!!.....' Holy smokes that is truly shocking !....shouldn't be tiling.....end ov

Last edited by a moderator:
Kent
What's happening with this now then? Start a fresh? Did we manage to salvage any tiles?
Hi dan, everyone, I took all the tiles off and bagged them, have bought new tiles and am in the process, or the tiler is of making good the walls which where rendered with sand cement, 1960s,,which pulled of in certain areas whilst removing the tiles. whilst talking with the (won't use the word tiler as I don't want to offend proper people!! Person" that attempted" pretended to tile I stated to him he had dot & dabbed the tiles on, he denied this. Well! When I removed the tiles I should have took a picture, It was completely all dotted with thick (pats) yes pats like cow dung on every tile. When it eventually stops raining I will lie them out flat take a pic and post it. But apart from that the job is progressing nicely now, will take a few pics of during and finish job and post them later on.
Cheers

Kent

Attachments

• image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
To be fair to the said tiler bit more than dot and dab if he has had to do them brick bond with a slight bow or lump in the wall he will use a lot of adhesive beyond a 10 mm trowels depth guess he didn't know when to say get it sorted before I start or charge to sort it doesn't mater where in the room you start so long as you mark out correctly and are confident your lines are spot on tad over kill adding latex plus to the adhesive makes it set way to fast on a warm day

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
To be fair to the said tiler bit more than dot and dab if he has had to do them brick bond with a slight bow or lump in the wall he will use a lot of adhesive beyond a 10 mm trowels depth guess he didn't know when to say get it sorted before I start or charge to sort it doesn't mater where in the room you start so long as you mark out correctly and are confident your lines are spot on tad over kill adding latex plus to the adhesive makes it set way to fast on a warm day

I'm not sure I understand your post. Ate you making excuses for him? There's no excuse for spot fixing.
Whoever fixes their first tile without getting your levels and straight edges out??

Kent
I understand that you can start on any wall, but as mentioned you have to be dead certain on your levels, ie you can't have a massive gap above the bath which would look like an absolute pigs ear and beyond applying mastic or trying to cut a 14mm wide porcelain tile. This geezer did not have a scooby dooo. End of. Just pity his next customer who probably won't really know what he's about. No excuses for this guy.

Reply to Dot & dabbing tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hey there Firstly thanks in advance for any replies or comments. I've got a tiler in atm who...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB