UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss External mitre profiling tool in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Concrete guy

Alan. what thicknesses will this do. I think you will get great results with travertine.

I made this at 12mm with travertine in mind, so it should be good up to that thickness. However the quality of mitre on travertine is more likely to be determined by the amount and quality of filler that is contained within the stone.

On travertine I prefer a 10mm half bullnose finish, I think it's just more suitable for the material type.

A good quality trav will be close in texture and density to marble, and I got the best results from my tests with marble, which is relatively soft.

C

Concrete guy

Well it's taken a while but finally I have another 16 of these tools ready to go for those who would like them.

They will go on our on line shop over the weekend/early next week available for general sale.

Any forum members that would like one before these go on line please send me a PM and we'll get them out to you.

The last list on the thread excluding those who have already ordered:-

1. Sir Ramic
2. andy tiler
3. poynton phil
4. AliGage
5. Alan.P
6. Wingn
7. cam_Low
8. rainsco
9. Houston
10. Blocko (possibly)
11. CJ

Tony73

TF
Arms
acton w3, london
Hi all, look how other PRO TILERS do mitres :lol:
DSC_0812.jpg DSC_0813.jpg DSC_0814.jpg DSC_0815.jpg
And i went in to try to repair with some paglerino akemi (stone glue), I know it's not perfect, but it's all i could do
DSC_0869.jpg DSC_0870.jpg DSC_0871.jpg DSC_0872.jpg DSC_0873.jpg DSC_0874.jpg DSC_0875.jpg DSC_0876.jpg DSC_0879.jpg

C

Concrete guy

The Mitre profilers are now available in our on line shop at £93.78 inc vat + p&p. (the increase in price represents the fees charged for the sale).

I will hold the price to all tilersforums members at £81.78 + p&p - just contact me via the forum (private message).

I can't link directly to the sale in open forum it would be a breach of my account status on here. Just type my username into Google and we're pretty easy to find if you want to take a look through our shop.

C

Concrete guy

I've just had a practice with mine Alan, ready for this weeks job. I'll start a new thread when I've sorted the pics out.

That would be very helpful Bri, there are 4 of these out now with members, and another two imminent.

I think there are a few people who are waiting for a bit of independent feedback before they take the plunge.

I'm also very interested, as whilst I make every effort to test these things thoroughly, it's only once they are in the field and getting real world use that you find out really how useful they are.

O

One Day

Just had a quick first go with mine - porcelain and ceramic.
Very impressed with how well it eats the porcelain, and well it just gobbles the ceramic.
It's probably just lack of practise (and I will have another go tomorrow) but the guide was a bit sticky until I wd40'd it, and I managed to chip an edge with the washer catching the edge.
1st impressions - I'd probably still rough-mitre using my DeWalt and finish the mitre with the wheel?
With a bit of practise though I'll probably change my mind. I reckon stone will be the best result of all.

Used dry on variable speed makita.

C

Concrete guy

I've not tested it on ceramic, I was so preoccupied with getting it working on Porcelain that I didn't consider that. I have a feeling the cutting head will be too coarse for ceramics or it may need to be used wet.

I could make some less aggressive cutting heads for softer materials.

These also have a very small element of adjustment built into them, there are a couple of 0.25mm thick shims in the construction of the tool that can be removed if there is wear over time. I can give instructions if these need to removed - it's pretty simple.

I think a rough cut mitre first then using this tool is a great idea, it will substantially extend the cutting head life.

The WD40 solution might be a side effect of dry use, that could be another plus towards using it wet - waste material removal that will stop the tool clogging long term.

C

Concrete guy

Bri's post in JOTM March 2013 made me think about this product again (as he mentioned he'd used it on that particular job).

There was a reasonable amount of interest (excitement would be stretching it I think) in this product when I came up with the idea but it seems to have gone flat/quiet lately.

So how are you getting on with this bit of kit? I've not had anyone come back and say "It's carp I want my money back" so that's a good start but there's been little feedback on it.

How's it working out guys? Anyone else interested in one?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

I havent had the opportunity to use mine yet either Alan other than playing around with a few spare tiles but it is like most things I have in my tool box it serves a purpose when needed and I think it is well worth the money and will pay for it self time over when the right job comes up so am happy
I tried mitring some porcelain on my dewalt with a worn in blade and the material just pushed the blade off and gave a squinted mitred so your tool is definitely needed and works better than a conventional wet saw in my opinion

I

Ian

I havent had the opportunity to use mine yet either Alan other than playing around with a few spare tiles but it is like most things I have in my tool box it serves a purpose when needed and I think it is well worth the money and will pay for it self time over when the right job comes up so am happy
I tried mitring some porcelain on my dewalt with a worn in blade and the material just pushed the blade off and gave a squinted mitred so your tool is definitely needed and works better than a conventional wet saw in my opinion

Couldn't agree more Gary, and with the dewalt, the arm gets in the way on large tiles. It could do with the head tilting 45* the other direction.

Reply to External mitre profiling tool in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
C
    • Winner
Looking to do a few mitred external corners this week (600x300x9 porcelain). Practiced the cuts...
Replies
Views
hmtiling
H
Q
A customer asked me to lay a run of travertine window sill tiles with a half bullnose to match...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
S
I am currently doing a new build where the customer has bought some tiles from Porcelenasa...
Replies
Views
Italy
I

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.