Discuss Firemans strike in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stewart

They should be sacked if they go on strike, and my best friend is a fireman! Here's a clip of the striking firemen abusing stand-ins covering their strike action and some of their own, by making hoax calls so they can abuse them.

Due to shift pattern change, they are getting a pay rise to accompany the change, but it does mean that most of the firemen with second jobs will have to pack them in.

[video=youtube;a4JRZo3v5JQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4JRZo3v5JQ[/video]

[video=youtube;xgohJcdNMws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgohJcdNMws&feature=related[/video]

D

Deleted member 9966

they have the right to strike, but what does it actually accomplish? a friend of mine is a firefighter and he said the last time they went on strike was an absolute joke because it didn't get them anywhere. he said he doubted whether he would ever strike again even if the majority balloted that it would happen. he loves his job, it's the only thing he's ever been good at :lol:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I think they have the right as Liz says, but they really need to be discussing more at management level with unions and government bodies using the threat of strikes more so than strikes, a bit like BA and whatnot did. Strike a bit but then threat more and they managed to get into talks at least.

I think they should be sacked for abusing the other firemen AND / OR for calling them out without there being a fire.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
The unions were asking a lot to be honest Liz, I'm not surprised they didn't get everything they asked for. But they did manage to get in talks etc.

We're all struggling a bit more these days than a few years ago and I seriously think it needs to be considered by both parties BEFORE a strike starts.

It'll end up an annual thing if we're not careful.

D

Deleted member 9966

We had a failure to agree at our place last year over pay. Thankfully we kept talking with our unions to ensure that we could prevent any strikes. To be honest, a lot of our guys know that even if they strike, it's only themselves that they're hurting. If they don't work, product isn't made, customer orders remain unfulfilled, and customers go elsewhere. Don't bite the hand that feeds you sometimes.

P

PJ Tiling

I think it's a bit more complicated than just general shift change. My brothers a fire fighter he's been telling me all about it. It's more to do with the changes in contract, all fire fighters refusing to change to the new contract are going to sacked and re-employed under the new contract and conditions. Which include the shift changen rise in pension contrabutions, even tho their pensions are going to change from a final slary pension to an average pension.......basically pay in more get out less. I can agree with them gioing on strike on bonfire night tho thats not going to help anyone. As for the second employement situation, I don't think fire fighters have second jobs because they love working. I know my brother doesn't want to work every hour god sends, but needs must, high mortgages, cost of living etc, etc.

Reply to Firemans strike in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
I'm toying around with some of the colours around the site to make it easier to read and keep...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, I normally post over in diynot for general DIY but wrt tiling over timber I need some...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
Although I've been a member for a little while I have just started reading through different...
Replies
Views
StevieBoy
S
M
Had an bust up/argument with tiler today. Usually use someone else but this guy came recommended...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Firemans strike
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.