Discuss Firemans strike in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Considering the fact most of us don't have pensions, and of the ones that do they're worth nothing now, I don't think it's fair for them to assume they still get what they thought they'd be getting some time ago when we were all a bit better off.

Nurses too got sacked and re-employed, they didn't strike. The forces pensions are worth a lot less now (globally they are so everybody's will be worth less - due to the banks) and they wouldn't dream of striking.

I think they need to discuss more and do a lot less striking which never results in paying off well. Ever.

And if they have lives they can't afford they need a re-think like hundreds we see on here a year that are also having to re-think their incomes and outgoings.

I just don't think striking is the way to go, and I bet your brother knows it'll do nothing either.

I think there's a lot of 'they save lives so they're worth millions' but the fact it they're not, and many other forces saves lives for a lot less, and a lot less sitting about in the station too! (maybe that's just that old TV show? london's burning was it?) - I bet there are hundreds of people ready to take their jobs. I know our local stations don't advertise for jobs as they get that many applications in anyway.

It's the unions misleading them a lot IMO. They want your £5 per month, and for it, they'll try to get you a lot more per month. It's a middle man in my eyes that isn't required. They should start their own charitable union that's free between them all and take their ideas themselves directly to the powers to be. Be it cost saving idea's, beter shift patter idea's, and all sort of other helpful stuff you'd like to see from your employee's as tilers. And not a letter from a third party saying "right, John won't be in work in the 8th, 17th and 24th as he's unhappy about working longer and getting paid less during this recession" which as Liz said to me earlier, is just a case of biting the hand that feeds you.

Do you know how rich some of these unions are? And how much their directors get paid?

That money could go on paying firefighters and BA staff more in a round about way.

Though I've said all this, let it be known that I respect firefighters for their duties. But I bet when they signed up they said 'I want to save lives' and not 'I want to earn lots of money'. So why the change?

D

Deleted member 9966

Funny we should be having this conversation today, I've been studying about Union membership today as part of my university studies :)

people need to accept that pensions are not worth as much as they used to be. the majority are underfunded, partly due to greed of investment managers (some banks, some not banks), partly due to people retiring early and drawing pensions before they had put enough in to take out, and mostly due to poor investment decisions.

final salary pension schemes are a thing of the past, the state pension won't be far behind. people need to take responsibility for their own retirement finances, it's just the way it is now.

F

faithhealer

personally i think they should take note of everyone elses situation in this country and stop crying

they get good money and dont have to work 5/6 day weeks like most,yes they get pensions and other benefits that are going to be affected but at least they are still in a good position better than most imo
agree with above jamie, everyone has it tough at the moment

Reply to Firemans strike in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
I'm toying around with some of the colours around the site to make it easier to read and keep...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, I normally post over in diynot for general DIY but wrt tiling over timber I need some...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
Although I've been a member for a little while I have just started reading through different...
Replies
Views
StevieBoy
S
M
Had an bust up/argument with tiler today. Usually use someone else but this guy came recommended...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Firemans strike
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.